Delisted #28: Elliott Kavanagh - Gone to play SANFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Was critical previously of he and NOB for just being so invisible in senior games....much better last night, ripped in much harder and impacted contests.

Spot up to Stanton and a couple of handballs in traffic showed that the class is there once the mind and body are ready.

People need to remember that he had not played a full game at any level for a good month (Northern Blues - 24/5) and as such would have been blowing hard.

SHOULD he not be selected. DO NOT!! carry him over as an emergency.

(edit. just realised, we play Friday night, the VFL are on TV Saturday so all our emergencies will play VFL IMHO)

showed a bit but couldn't run the game out. May have to go back to VFL for Merritt.

I'd rotate Aylett and Kav through the same spot for the rest of the season.

J Merrett should be looking at a different, more forward, spot (was a class above in the VFL yesterday).

I'd rotate Aylett and Kav through the same spot for the rest of the season.

J Merrett should be looking at a different, more forward, spot (was a class above in the VFL yesterday).

Its hard because Jacksons early year breakout came due to an up the field, higher role.

By the sounds of it J.Merrett should come back into the side after his performance on the weekend? How did Carlisle go? and Chapman to come back in

Kav's disposal was really good I thought for the most part. Hasn't quite picked up the pace of AFL yet -- nor should he have, considering he's only played a handful of games -- but it's great to see him get a run in his actual position in the midfield. We need more players who can operate on the inside and outside and he looks like one of them.

Just want to point out that Kav as a junior was a hunter of the ball (not that he got on the park very much) and as such has spent his 3 years with us honing the defensive side to his game.

In his brief games at AFL level, he has played half forward AND half back and looked lost and been caught out ball watching. No offence to the kid but he is a mid and mid only. Howlett has more tricks than EKAV (who's he would invariably be fighting with for a place in the seniors IMHO)

Come on eth. He's never been one to get easy ball. Even at VFL level
Yes, and he needs to work out how to find it. If he does begin to find it he'll be a very good player for us

Yes, and he needs to work out how to find it. If he does begin to find it he'll be a very good player for us

I don't think he will ever be one to get 'easy ball' like Judd has. Elliot is far too often inside the pack to be getting clean ball on the outside.

If people want to rely on stats to gauge his worth, what were his scoring involvements from Saturday night?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think he will ever be one to get 'easy ball' like Judd has. Elliot is far too often inside the pack to be getting clean ball on the outside.

If people want to rely on stats to gauge his worth, what were his scoring involvements from Saturday night?
I'm not saying he'll be Judd, but needs to find more, that's all

I'm not saying he'll be Judd, but needs to find more, that's all

The thing that stood out to me on TV was how many contests he was actually getting to. Once he gets the pace of AFL level, and the confidence to just go for it, then you should see a real spike should he be rewarded with more than enough opportunities in his favoured position on the ball.

in that game against north ballarat, i think it was, he found a lot of outside pill. even ran with it three times. we havent seen kav just play for two years and before that there was no 17-18 year old tac. not sure i could confidently place too many limitations on the boy.

Kav jets at 17 min in quarter 2.

Not slow.

Not slow at all. He ran so far the gif had to be this small to get the whole thing.

kavjets_zpsaa28e4ef.gif

I agree with everyone that he has copped a pretty raw deal after playing back - to - back games for the first time in his AFL career but we must remember that at the moment, a guy like Jackson Merret who would be battling with EKav for that 19 - 22 position has produced better football.

With a tough run of games coming up, we need our best players on board but having gotten another taste of it, Elliot should take this as a positive and go back to the VFL and keep on keeping on knowing he is next in line.

People need to chill out. Kavanagh is locked away until the end of 2016.

We have probably 6 youngsters we are trying to fit into 2 or 3 spots each week for the rest of the year.

There will be unlucky players every week.

He simply can't find enough of the ball over 4 quarters in the VFL.

Would like to see him win more ball at VFL level before we bring him back in.

Would like to see him win more ball at VFL level before we bring him back in.

The strange thing is that he has never gotten games on the weight of performances. He had a month or so of some fairly ridiculous number at VFL level in his first year and only got handed his debut well into the season once he had lost form and the rest of our list was injured.

Last year he did next to nothing in the VFL as far as the stats sheet was concerned but it supposedly didn't matter because he was successfully tagging and working on the defensive side of his game. He got his few games.

Even this year he was supposed to be taken to Perth to play Freo but got injured. He certainly had not done much in the VFL to that point. It then took 1 good half of footy to get him back into contention for senior selection.

I completely agree that on VFL form he doesn't command a spot in the seniors for the rest of the year but I'm not sure that his VFL form means anything as far as his selection is concerned. His AFL form has certainly never made a different to him being dropped.

I get the feeling we are biding our time until he is physically ready to play AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back