Past #28: Kayne Turner - pick #25 in '14 RD - delisted end '22 - re-listed w/ #39 in '22 RD - delisted end "23 - 111gm/58gl - thx Kayno

Remove this Banner Ad

Nothing too sexy in any of our picks this year.
I think with his age and the development left in him he could be a multi positional player. It's going to be at least 3 years before he will be even close to considered for senior footy, so lets just see how this speculative pick goes.
not a fan of this pick, we don't need another inside mid yet alone a skinny one

The trouble with BF is that your predictions remain in Skynet forever.

Luke McDonald was rated an elite kick at TAC level going into the draft. It was probably his only real weakness last season. You could name several others who struggled early on.
I can't see how a kids skills can be judged until their bodies are at AFL level.
Just like a kids decision making can't be judged until they have had some experience.

Turner reminds me of wanganeen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luke McDonald was rated an elite kick at TAC level going into the draft. It was probably his only real weakness last season. You could name several others who struggled early on.
I can't see how a kids skills can be judged until their bodies are at AFL level.
Just like a kids decision making can't be judged until they have had some experience.

Turner reminds me of wanganeen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fantastic call on the resemblance to Wanganeen. Now that you say he reminds me exactly of Wanganeen. He will always have his aggression, something you can't instil in a player and IMO he also has class. His pass to Brown in the EF to set up Brownies second goal in the third quarter was vision. Everything else will come in time.

I hope come Rd 1. That the lad is in the 22 and sends a very clear message to all who've missed out, that "mongrel on the park" is valued equally as skill.
Turner (with his L plates clearly on display) has made some errors but in time with maturity and experience these will be eliminated. I'm really looking forward to watching this lad grow into a top class player.

Watching something the other day and it had a brief thing (damn I'm being vague) on Robbie Flower. Can anyone slightly older than me enlighten me on his playing style? A few of the descriptions made me think of Turner and I was wondering if they were in fact anything like each other.

Watching something the other day and it had a brief thing (damn I'm being vague) on Robbie Flower. Can anyone slightly older than me enlighten me on his playing style? A few of the descriptions made me think of Turner and I was wondering if they were in fact anything like each other.
Both skinny....
Flower was an absolute freak!!! But playing style is fairly different so far anyway.

Robbie Flower was a classy footballer with great pace and endurance, but didn't play a physical game, so it wouldn't be a comparison that would jump to mind for me. Mind you Turner is only a handful of games into his career so its hard to know what his game will become.

Both skinny....
Flower was an absolute freak!!! But playing style is fairly different so far anyway.
Robbie Flower was a classy footballer with great pace and endurance, but didn't play a physical game, so it wouldn't be a comparison that would jump to mind for me. Mind you Turner is only a handful of games into his career so its hard to know what his game will become.
Way off by the sound of it. Maybe it was the wirey (sub 70kg) frame and courage that drew the comparison.

Flower was fast, graceful, evasive, skilful. A challenger to Greig's crown as the best winger of a generation. Skinny and brave like Kanye, but in a different stratosphere of talent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Flower was fast, graceful, evasive, skilful. A challenger to Greig's crown as the best winger of a generation. Skinny and brave like Kanye, but in a different stratosphere of talent.

Yeah, was going to suggest the Greig comparison.

Beautifully summed up RZ. He was one of those opposition players I would enjoy watching.
Comparing Turner to Flower is like comparing a BMX with a Triumph, but in pure game style terms, drawing on the Flower-Greig similarity, I reckon Kanye could be seen as having a bit of Greig-Schimma hybrid game. But still reckon Paul Kelly is the best comparison.

Beautifully summed up RZ. He was one of those opposition players I would enjoy watching.
Comparing Turner to Flower is like comparing a BMX with a Triumph, but in pure game style terms, drawing on the Flower-Greig similarity, I reckon Kanye could be seen as having a bit of Greig-Schimma hybrid game. But still reckon Paul Kelly is the best comparison.
Plays like Paul Kelly (Syd). Physique like Paul Kelly (St Kilda-Kings Cross).

He reached us because everyone thought he would still be there the following year, due to his limited sample size of games at TAC level. Did he miss a few passes last year, Yep.... But he is hardly on his own there! He makes the team play better, and he has ridiculous potential to improve every single part of his game! If someone offered us a pick within the range 5-15 next year for him, I would be bloody disappointed if we took the trade. He is the Archer of this side and will be here for another 10 years dragging blokes along with him.

Do you really think that's how recruiters think?

So there I was on Hampton beach doing my regular Friday night workout/preseason training, in my North shorts, Suns out guns out, then bam.

Random fit chick comes up and asks if I'm Kayne Turner.

As soon as I said, no it wasn't, I pondered on what could've been. Greater Gattsby, you've just blown it. Worst mistake in my life.

Could've been getting punani tonight :(

So there I was on Hampton beach doing my regular Friday night workout/preseason training, in my North shorts, Suns out guns out, then bam.

Random fit chick comes up and asks if I'm Kayne Turner.

As soon as I said, no it wasn't, I pondered on what could've been. Greater Gattsby, you've just blown it. Worst mistake in my life.

Could've been getting punani tonight :(

She was Indian?

You don't??
If a club liked him more than we did.... I reckon they would have taken him.

Obviously but you were saying no one took him due to them thinking he'd be around next year.

Truth is only two clubs knew about him and the other one didn't have a pick in the rookie draft so that worked out well for us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back