Retired #29: Patrick Ambrose - Officially retired - 11/8

Remove this Banner Ad

The whole 0 goals 0 behinds would be a great argument, if his role in the team is to actually hit the scoreboard.

Surely that isn't his role, as he barely spends any time in the forward 50, is following most contests and creating pressure and tackling - equal 15th in the league for tackles.

People are talking like Hird is playing him deep in the goalsquare.
He's a forward and has played as a forward. If he's not, then he's playing as a midfielder and a midfielder averaging 15 disposals is pretty s**t.

He's a forward and has played as a forward. If he's not, then he's playing as a midfielder and a midfielder averaging 15 disposals is pretty s**t.

Ambrose is one of those players where stats don't tell the full story. He crashes packs, blocks, tackles heaps. Just two weeks ago he floored Hill and made Hodge squib the last centre-bounce. I think as a 2nd year player getting to 15 disposals per game is a good effort, especially given he was just a Rookie and cost nothing.

I think a lot of people are sort of wishing that he was that 3rd tall, lead up forward we so desperately need, as he was initially playing that role when he first started. He is being played differently this year, it's obvious, we're saying him at way more contests in the midfield.

The whole 0 goals 0 behinds would be a great argument, if his role in the team is to actually hit the scoreboard.

Surely that isn't his role, as he barely spends any time in the forward 50, is following most contests and creating pressure and tackling - equal 15th in the league for tackles.

People are talking like Hird is playing him deep in the goalsquare.

It's pretty easy to attack his role in the team especially if it does not involve hitting the score board and that is really what is happening here.

The forward line still lacks structure and we still lack half forward targets and have problems with the second ruck. He is clearly being selected in place of another 'tall' so if he is currently performing his role his role is wrong.

It's wrong because the forward line doesn't work so whatever he is doing can't be that valuable (and I fail to see how it could become that much worse without him so I'd need more convincing than is possible to accept that it would all fall apart without him). If he is not required to do anything we'd actually want from a key forward then you'd expect that there would be another tall forward.

He's being rewarded for his workrate and intensity with the hope that it will all click and he can start to put his tank to better use winning the ball on the lead from half forward. I thought I saw glimpses that he was fitting into the system better but he still gets sucked up into following the ball and rarely finds the ball on the lead.

We carry both Ambrose and Howlett because they give everything they have to the game. As admirable as it makes them, they're not good enough to be consistently selected.

Ambrose is one of those players where stats don't tell the full story. He crashes packs, blocks, tackles heaps. Just two weeks ago he floored Hill and made Hodge squib the last centre-bounce. I think as a 2nd year player getting to 15 disposals per game is a good effort, especially given he was just a Rookie and cost nothing.

I think a lot of people are sort of wishing that he was that 3rd tall, lead up forward we so desperately need, as he was initially playing that role when he first started. He is being played differently this year, it's obvious, we're saying him at way more contests in the midfield.

I agree that he does a lot of valuable work as a player, s**t, I think we should bite the bullet now and start the project of turning him into a midfielder. He could be a real weapon as an inside midfielder.

The good of Ambrose (the work rate, intensity, tackles, etc) needs to be weighed against the bad (structural irrelevance which contributes to widespread problems with the forwardline) and then you get an idea of whether the good that isn't reflected in the stat sheet justifies his selection.

Last edited:

McKernan can do this same role but also get hitouts, take marks and kick goals as he is showing in VFL.

Ambrose has to be on his last chance this week

20 touches, kicked a couple and missed a couple that he'd get on anothe day. More of that please.

When he doesn't get too sucked in to having a defensive role he's more than fine

'He tackles to hurt someone' - Hird

Good enough for me. :)

More of what he did today, please.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hird said they let him ease up on the defensive sacrifices he has been making and to be more dangerous.
Hes a handy player and the purely defensive player he has been seems to be very much an instruction.

AFL+Rd+5+St+Kilda+v+Essendon+UW5Hfboign8l.jpg

I don't think he got anywhere near it lol

Last edited:
19 disposals, 2 goals 3 behinds, 1 goal assist, 8 score involvements, 8 tackles (5 of them being i50) and 3 marks i50.

Impressive.

Yes really liked his game - if he can keep this sort of form up then all of a sudden our forward line starts to look much better - takes a lot of pressure off Carlisle & JD

AFL+Rd+5+St+Kilda+v+Essendon+UW5Hfboign8l.jpg

I don't think he got anywhere near it lol
a bit too early if I remember correctly (but not as early as a few of Joey's this year), also was moving too fast for any hang time to be useful. If he'd got his knee in the Saint's players back he might have slowed himself enough to take the mark, but also probably would have crippled the Saint for life.

Incredible that in Ambrose's post-match interview on the website that he is saying that in the past few weeks his role has been to play up the ground and get to the back of the stoppage.

You seriously wonder about coaches sometimes...

It tends to confirm that Ambrose is essentially a 'small'.

You'd expect that Langford will continue to play most weeks and share a spot with Laverde as they'll provide the mid sized options that will help to provide a bit more structure.

Is there are part of our game that is not compensating for any other part of our game?

Incredible that in Ambrose's post-match interview on the website that he is saying that in the past few weeks his role has been to play up the ground and get to the back of the stoppage.

You seriously wonder about coaches sometimes...

It tends to confirm that Ambrose is essentially a 'small'.

You'd expect that Langford will continue to play most weeks and share a spot with Laverde as they'll provide the mid sized options that will help to provide a bit more structure.

Is there are part of our game that is not compensating for any other part of our game?
Our defence?

I wonder how he would go in the NFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back