Retired #29: Patrick Ambrose - Officially retired - 11/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Having good endurance and being tough at the contest doesn't make you a good footballer.

It has to end when you consider we have footballers like Laverde and Browne not getting a game
A slight upgrade on Kommer with good looks. So frustrating to watch as he has no tricks up his sleeve. I'm not giving up but he needs to develop a different role in the VFL for the rest of the year.

Want to see him play CHF in the Vfl for a good 6 weeks and just focus on running straight at the ball and marking it and hopefully kicking goals. He should be the focal point of the forward line.

I get the feeling that everytime he gets given a specific defensive role he tricks himself into thinking he's Steve Morris when in reality he's a 195cm beast who should be running his opponent into the ground every week and taking a stack of marks.

Last edited:

Ambrose is the new Henry slattery. Great trainer, gives 100%, coaches love him but he just isn't up to it.
Ambrose is elite athletically and was playing VAFA 2 years ago. He may not be there yet, but there is plenty to work with in the future.
Give him some time to develop and see how he goes. Comparing him to a plodder in every way is a poor call.

Chopping block dead ahead.

#AmbroseMidfield
I don't mind that idea because he certainly can't mark or get a kick at the moment! Maybe he can bury a few in the turf with ferocious tackles or pick a few off running from the top of the square.

In reality, he just isn't a natural footballer. He is an elite athlete with no football nous - putting him in the midfield is a ridiculous notion. Other than tackling, he gives us nothing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How this guy made it onto the senior list when Aylett couldn't is another baffling list management decision for mine (not withstanding timing of contract signings etc). To me everything about Ambrose screams project player.

How this guy made it onto the senior list when Aylett couldn't is another baffling list management decision for mine (not withstanding timing of contract signings etc). To me everything about Ambrose screams project player.
I think he warranted being picked for the senior list as he played most games last year.

In reality, he just isn't a natural footballer. He is an elite athlete with no football nous - putting him in the midfield is a ridiculous notion. Other than tackling, he gives us nothing.
I actually think his lack of football nous is a reason to put him in the midfield. Playing forward is much more complicated, timing leads, throwing your opponent off, separting from other forwards, etc. But midfield has a bit less of that, and would make better use of his endurance and strength (I think).

I actually think his lack of football nous is a reason to put him in the midfield. Playing forward is much more complicated, timing leads, throwing your opponent off, separting from other forwards, etc. But midfield has a bit less of that, and would make better use of his endurance and strength (I think).
See ball. Get ball. Give off (to teammate hopefully).

Gee, everyone with a strong body should be an AFL level midfielder if that's the job description.

You sound like Dick.

dilbert.jpg

Jade doesn't like this, there's surely only room for one guy that is always right around here

View attachment 148249
You know what I mean though. It wasn't meant as a blueprint for midfielders. Trying him as an inside mid plays to his strengths of.. well strength and endurance like TheFrenchCut said. As I said elsewhere I'm at the try just about anything stage. Let's find out who and what works and what doesn't. Season is absolutely shot.

You know what I mean though. It wasn't meant as a blueprint for midfielders. Trying him as an inside mid plays to his strengths of.. well strength and endurance like TheFrenchCut said. As I said elsewhere I'm at the try just about anything stage. Let's find out who and what works and what doesn't. Season is absolutely shot.

I did know what you meant, and whilst I thought I used the sarcasm font, part of me was serious too. I've seen nothing to suggest he'd be able to play midfield as the only thing he's shown is he can run and he can be a tank. He isn't great below his knees, I'm not convinced he could quickly spread form a contest, I reckon he'd get caught ball watching a bit hence wouldn't block.

If it's to be tried anywhere though, the VFL is the place.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back