Retired #3: Paul Chapman

Remove this Banner Ad

He did say that he was very friendly to his small close group of friends, but very cold and arrogant to anyone else....I guess he was one of those guys you had to get into his inner circle....he certainly said he made rookies feel very unwelcome.

Maybe - I've known him for such a long time I wouldn't see that but I guess he'd want the youngsters to earn their hoops as he'd call it. He was actually a passionate bombers fan before he went to cats despite his old man playing for cats. A group of us would travel up for matches from Geelong when we weren't playing. Being a bit shy and taking a while to warm up to people rather than being arrogant would be more like the Scarlett I know.

A little off-topic (slanging at each other about his worth at your club) but a mate of mine was on Geelong's list 10 years ago for a few years and he said Chappy was a thorough Gentleman.....Scarlett on the other hand was an arrogant pig.
Pretty much everyone that's come across Scarlo seems to have described him as a campaigner. Blatantly lying in his book didn't do much to change that opinion either.

Thanks, Chappy. I feel sad knowing that we couldn't give you more positive and winning memories during your time at our football club, but you're definitely part of the fabric now. A champion of the game.

Cheers chappy! wish we had more time with you in the red and black! but i loved you at the cats anyway! great career huge big game player and a very humble guy to go with it! champion!!

Great to have you one of us for a short time Chappy, it was well worth it, thanks for choosing us...What the hell were Tugger fans booing you for in the last five minutes, extremely poor form I thought...Don't anyone try to tell me it was Dempsey either, they were booing Chappy...Also, since when are the umps allowed make rules up, 2 months ago they decided it was a free kick for a dangerous tackle, now it's reportable???? Over these basketball rules...Plus that 50 against you Chappy was a total farcd, then the same thing not paid later in the game, someone report that ump please..ruined a decent contest when we were 2 goals up...

Great player for the Cats but, (and this may seem harsh), was ultimately a list clogger at Essendon. Played some good games for you guys but his spot would have been better spent on developing a younger player.

Great player for the Cats but, (and this may seem harsh), was ultimately a list clogger at Essendon. Played some good games for you guys but his spot would have been better spent on developing a younger player.
He finished 9th in the b&f last year in a team that made the finals. I wouldn't say he was a list clogger.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Said that (after a bit of time off with the family) he'd potentially be looking at coaching. Has Essendon spoken with him about a support role down the track?

Gotta say, this was an absolute win for us.

I remember saying at the time he was recruited that if we got 30 games out of him I'd be very happy.

Reality is, we got 29 (so close enough).

What I was most pleased with, was the knowledge and expertise we could gain from him.

I went and attended an open training session early in the year, and at one stage Chappy was standing in the pocket approx 40m from goal. He had Heppell and Colyer (from memory) with him who were hanging off his every word.

Basically he wasn't telling them how to kick, but was telling them WHY he'd do something. Paraphrasing, he was telling them that he'd rather snap the ball, even if he marked it instead of take the set shot from that position. He thought he'd be 50/50 at best to nail the set shot, and odds are no worse with the snap. BUT with the quick snap, the defense hasn't had any time to settle, giving a tall marking option a better chance to take an uncontested mark, or a crumber to swoop in to a confused space - it made perfect sense.

As a side note, Heppell is like a damn sponge. He kept prodding and questioning, why why why..... that is our next captain.

And that was one exchange in front of me that lasted ten minutes. How many other nuggets did he pass on over a two year period?

For this reason, I would have no issue (assuming list structure allowed it) continually looking at SMART footy people that are coming to the end of their career - you can't put a price on that sort of personal experience.

*EDIT* oh, and FYI, he would have slotted 8 or 9 of the ten-ish snaps he had during his demo.... ;)

Gotta say, this was an absolute win for us.

I remember saying at the time he was recruited that if we got 30 games out of him I'd be very happy.

Reality is, we got 29 (so close enough).

What I was most pleased with, was the knowledge and expertise we could gain from him.

I went and attended an open training session early in the year, and at one stage Chappy was standing in the pocket approx 40m from goal. He had Heppell and Colyer (from memory) with him who were hanging off his every word.

Basically he wasn't telling them how to kick, but was telling them WHY he'd do something. Paraphrasing, he was telling them that he'd rather snap the ball, even if he marked it instead of take the set shot from that position. He thought he'd be 50/50 at best to nail the set shot, and odds are no worse with the snap. BUT with the quick snap, the defense hasn't had any time to settle, giving a tall marking option a better chance to take an uncontested mark, or a crumber to swoop in to a confused space - it made perfect sense.

As a side note, Heppell is like a damn sponge. He kept prodding and questioning, why why why..... that is our next captain.

And that was one exchange in front of me that lasted ten minutes. How many other nuggets did he pass on over a two year period?

For this reason, I would have no issue (assuming list structure allowed it) continually looking at SMART footy people that are coming to the end of their career - you can't put a price on that sort of personal experience.

*EDIT* oh, and FYI, he would have slotted 8 or 9 of the ten-ish snaps he had during his demo.... ;)
Absolutely. I get a bit of a giggle out of opposition flogs trying to use him as some sort of punchline.

One pretty great year on-field, one underwhelming, plus an abundance of leadership and expertise to pass on, for a nigh-on-useless pick and a list spot. I'll take that.

Said that (after a bit of time off with the family) he'd potentially be looking at coaching. Has Essendon spoken with him about a support role down the track?

He has not only potentially been looking at coaching. He has actually now signed up to coach Werribee Districts, in the Western Region league.

Cut and paste of today's Hun article?
His book, is it available in online/kindle form?

I'd love to have a read of it. The couple of extracts I've seen so far look quite interesting...

Cut and paste of today's Hun article?

Some extracts (and additional links) can be found here:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...s-year-from-hell/story-e6frg6n6-1227581634079

Doss: you'll see, at the bottom, it also directs to some further details about getting/ordering copies at this stage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back