Past #3: Ryan Bastinac - traded to Brisbane for picks 17, 26, 28 & 47 (NMFC loses 34, 38, 40 & 2016 R3)

Remove this Banner Ad

The Ryan Bastinac timeline:

- Dropped to the VFL
- Star in the VFL
- Recalled to the senior team
- Play like a man possessed first week back. Tackling like a demon
- Start to fallback into bad habits. Lazy
- Cruise along at 50% resulting in a run of poor AFL performances resulting in Step 1.

Rinse and repeat.
Sounds about right to me.

The Ryan Bastinac timeline:

- Dropped to the VFL
- Star in the VFL
- Recalled to the senior team
- Play like a man possessed first week back. Tackling like a demon
- Start to fallback into bad habits. Lazy
- Cruise along at 50% resulting in a run of poor AFL performances resulting in Step 1.

Rinse and repeat.
You forgot the One Direction-style haircut appointment in between of all that.

The reality is that he needs to be played primarily on ball but he is down the pecking order so is pushed out to more peripheral roles that don't necessarily suit him. Would he be better off seeking opportunities elsewhere?

The reality is that he needs to be played primarily on ball but he is down the pecking order so is pushed out to more peripheral roles that don't necessarily suit him. Would he be better off seeking opportunities elsewhere?
Our on ball division is either old or too similar to one another.

Finding class before Wellsy, Nick and Boomer leave should be a priority.

Basti for me is way too good for VFL but uninterested at AFL level. I would entertain trading him if it meant a Steven Motlop for example.
I'd consider that as well. But wouldn't trade him for a draft pick, given it would be in the 20s.

What would Bastinac get on the open market? Something tells me it is probably worth persisting with him over taking what we'd recieve (likely peanuts). TBH I can't see him ever being damaging enough at AFL level, he can find the ball and has good engine but that seems to be about it. 1 Sam Gibson is more then enough.

How ****ing annoying is it that we have either:
a) Players who are blistering and/or classy with the ball but can't friggin get said ball or .......
b) Players who are not always so interested in getting said ball or being blistering

Reckon the difficulty is he gets to play on-ball at VFL level and doesn't so much at AFL level. Have to play him in the same position at both levels if we want his form in one to correlate to the other - which means either moving him off-ball in the VFL, or moving him on-ball in the AFL (unlikely).

What would Bastinac get on the open market? Something tells me it is probably worth persisting with him over taking what we'd recieve (likely peanuts). TBH I can't see him ever being damaging enough at AFL level, he can find the ball and has good engine but that seems to be about it. 1 Sam Gibson is more then enough.

I'd rather Bastinac over Gibson.

At least Bastinac can be creative by hand.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon the difficulty is he gets to play on-ball at VFL level and doesn't so much at AFL level. Have to play him in the same position at both levels if we want his form in one to correlate to the other - which means either moving him off-ball in the VFL, or moving him on-ball in the AFL (unlikely).
The difficulty is hes not good enough to beat any half decent opponant in the guts at afl level.

I suppose I can live with these deficiencies but his lack of ticker is the fly in the ointment for me.

To me He's a pretty simmilar player to swallow minus the courage.

Oddly enough Thats presicely the reason i WOULD trade basti.
If you think any club will give you a class midfielder for Basti, you are dreaming.
And if you think that pick 25 (or similar) is the pick that will deliver that class, I'd question the timing of it. While we have a pretty decent team, we'd be losing a player who is still improving and has plenty of class, albeit hasn't shown it enough, and gaining an 18 year old kid who may or may not ever deliver.

Your words not mine mate.

I just reckon he is a pea hearted downhill skier and we will never win a flag with him in the team.

Personally i couldnt care if he was delisted without trade.
I am as frustrated with him as anybody, but I just reckon he has the class we require, but not the consistency or the attitude to get the job done week in week out. But given our list situation, I'd persevere with him for one more season.

Yeah that should go without saying.
Basti younger, better skilled by hand and foot. should be a no brainer to have him over gibbo
If Basti had Gibson's work rate that would be a given. This is what pisses me off about Basti, he is a talented footballer and there is a spot there for him if he is willing to have a crack.

If Basti had Gibson's work rate that would be a given. This is what pisses me off about Basti, he is a talented footballer and there is a spot there for him if he is willing to have a crack.

Bastinac copping a bit of pasting in here but there is an element of the above that is spot on. Nothing wrong with being well held, or having a bit of a mare disposal wise. But when that is happening you need to be able to adjust and make an impact elsewhere (tackles, getting to contests, blocking for guys that are managing to hit the backside of a barn). Bastinac often seems to be coasting. If we have no intention of ever really playing him in the guts I'd like to see him have a preseason that involves 4 months of 200m sprints. He has natural aerobic ability but we don't need Robert Di Castella, we need an impact player. If he doesn't need more size because we aren't playing him on the inside then get him to put all his size into his legs and core.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back