Past #3: Ryan Bastinac - traded to Brisbane for picks 17, 26, 28 & 47 (NMFC loses 34, 38, 40 & 2016 R3)

Remove this Banner Ad

It's pretty disappointing to see the writing on the wall for Basti given his natural talent.

After 100+ games we were all hoping for more but for whatever reason he just hasn't taken that next step in his career. A change of scenery could do him the world of good.

getting very strong mail that Brisbane are keen.

Personally I think a Bastinac trade is a win / win potentially for us and a club like Brisbane. We are already struggling to fit players in our mid rotations and when all is said and done Bastinac is a true mid. Whether he has the body to withstand that or can perform consistently in that role remains to be seen but he needs to play inside IMHO.

Got all the physical attributes... I get the impression he's just not all that smart, lacks concerntration and the ability to focus for extended periods of time. And you just can't be like that in the modern game.

He could still come good, but he'll have to have things drilled into him as it'll take him longer than it does others.

Let's be fair, that's a ripper deal for us and somewhat a highway robbery i feel like aish is a gem!
I think Aish is a gem too.

As much of a punching bag sometimes Basti is the facts are he's an inside mid who averages 20 touches and 3 tackles per game with a career high of 44 touches at AFL level and has been stuck behind JZ, Cunners, Swallow and now BJ & Dumont for that inside spot.

Aish can't stand being at Brisbane, so they would be mad not to grab an experienced inside mid who (I think) would only flourish with the opportunity to become one of their prime inside midfielders in the years to come.

I think Aish is a gem too.

As much of a punching bag sometimes Basti is the facts are he's an inside mid who averages 20 touches and 3 tackles per game with a career high of 44 touches at AFL level and has been stuck behind JZ, Cunners, Swallow and now BJ & Dumont for that inside spot.

Aish can't stand being at Brisbane, so they would be mad not to grab an experienced inside mid who (I think) would only flourish with the opportunity to become one of their prime inside midfielders in the years to come.
Im all the way with you champion! Im not disagreeing Bastinac is above average footballer possibly B- mid because of names you said he gets no chance so for us to lose him and gain a aish is a "ripper" deal and I'd be down for it.

Im all the way with you champion! Im not disagreeing Bastinac is above average footballer possibly B- mid because of names you said he gets no chance so for us to lose him and gain a aish is a "ripper" deal and I'd be down for it.
Yeah I know you are mate and I agree Aish 'could' be a star, but with Brisbane being the opposite to Hawthorn as far as the destination club right now I reckon the straight swap for Basti would be in Brisbane's best interest, especially when Basti has the ability to push those averages to 26 and 5 if he's given the inside responsibility. Win-Win I reckon.

Yeah I know you are mate and I agree Aish 'could' be a star, but with Brisbane being the opposite to Hawthorn as far as the destination club right now I reckon the straight swap for Basti would be in Brisbane's best interest, especially when Basti has the ability to push those averages to 26 and 5 if he's given the inside responsibility. Win-Win I reckon.

would that not make him our best inside mid? just thinking out aloud.

would that not make him our best inside mid? just thinking out aloud.
With the spuds Brisbane have he would be the only one getting the pill ;)

In 2012 he averaged 23 & 4 so he's more than capable.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Players under 25 with 100+ games

Hannebery 144
Sidebottom 143
D Martin 131
Ziebell 124
Cunnington 123
Bastinac 121
Watts 115
Trengove (PA) 113
Fyfe 112
M Duncan 111
Gaff 110
Atley 109
Heppell 106
Darling 105
Scully 103
Gunston 103
Parker 101

Watts arguably the only more disappointing player on the list. Needs a change of scenery.

It's a bit arbitrary since you could include, say, 23-and-under players with 85+ games in the same general category, that we have the most players of any club on that list.

Players under 25 with 100+ games

Hannebery 144
Sidebottom 143
D Martin 131
Ziebell 124
Cunnington 123
Bastinac 121
Watts 115
Trengove (PA) 113
Fyfe 112
M Duncan 111
Gaff 110
Atley 109
Heppell 106
Darling 105
Scully 103
Gunston 103
Parker 101

Watts arguably the only more disappointing player on the list. Needs a change of scenery.

It's a bit arbitrary since you could include, say, 23-and-under players with 85+ games in the same general category, that we have the most players of any club on that list.

again looking at the negative what about you supply us a list of players over 25 who are yet to play 100 games yet the club retains the player finds a role for the player and turns them into a quality role player. but no lets punish Basti cause he played his best football when he was 21 and 22 and he played 100 games before he turned 24.:) I'd compare Basti to Liam Shiels at this point of his career, you know the premiership player Liam Shiels.

again looking at the negative what about you supply us a list of players over 25 who are yet to play 100 games yet the club retains the player finds a role for the player and turns them into a quality role player. but no lets punish Basti cause he played his best football when he was 21 and 22 and he played 100 games before he turned 24.:) I'd compare Basti to Liam Shiels at this point of his career, you know the premiership player Liam Shiels.
I think it's perfectly reasonable to compare Basti to guys with a similar career trajectory: players who were good enough to get settled in the seniors early, and by the time they reach 100 games should have the experience, confidence and physical attributes to regularly -- or even occasionally -- have significant impacts on games. I'd argue that only Basti, Watts, Trengove and maybe Duncan aren't at least B+ players. And I don't look at any player on that list and think "Wow, wait until he really develops". They're all fully formed and Basti's ceiling doesn't seem to be that high.

On the plus side, he's a known quantity and might provide value for some club that is struggling for midfield depth. Right now we've got Dumont & McKenzie ready to go, and LMac and probably Garner looking for more midfield time. McKenzie for his flaws at least shows signs of working hard on what the coaches want from him. I hope we keep him.

I'd take a Watts/Basti direct swap any day of the week.

Very disappointed with Basti, had high hopes.
I wouldn't go that far. Watts hasn't done anything except be a former #1 pick and tease Melbourne fans. Basti is in a Jacobs 2014 like position, doesn't have a specified role, in and out of the team which doesn't give him the chance go settle, nail down a spot and gain confidence. I'm going to back Basti in like I did with Jacobs, Tarrant (albeit as a key forward), Hansen (again as key forward) and prayer to the lord above he turns into a success.

probably not the year to take in picks, if the draft is so weak. try and summate some brisbane player to north, could be a homesick talent who just hasn't pulled it together. I don't mind, bastinac isn't going to work at north melbourne but has too much talent to play resies.

No offence to him because he's an ok player, but if Robinson can turn his career around and win a BnF at Brisbane, I would give Bastinac a decent chance to do well there too. With Jacobs starting to cement his spot and Dumont most likely ahead in the pecking order too, a trade there would be a win/win in truth.

If you look at the impact of us getting Dal Santo on the downturn in Basti's career you could make a case that Dal Santo has taken Basti's spot and when Dal Santo drops off within 24 months we have a ready made experience replacement in Basti sitting in the wings, he is 8 years younger then Dal Santo.

or we could trade him out and have to go looking for a replacement for Dal in 12 months?

If you look at the impact of us getting Dal Santo on the downturn in Basti's career you could make a case that Dal Santo has taken Basti's spot and when Dal Santo drops off within 24 months we have a ready made experience replacement in Basti sitting in the wings, he is 8 years younger then Dal Santo.

or we could trade him out and have to go looking for a replacement for Dal in 12 months?
Not too sure that Basti, at 24, will be happy to be a bit player, fringe 22, during the prime of his career. And if he is, then what the * is he doing?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back