Delisted #37: Dylan Clarke - End of the road, will not be offered a list spot in 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree with this sentiment. I was all over Cutler a couple of years ago because I thought he was a squib who couldn't kick, but he's taken his game to another level where, from week to week, it might not be as certain that he's not in the best 22, or that he won't be next week. Clarkey just couldn't reinvent himself.

Cutler always had the raw tools to be a clear best-22 player, plenty of size, speed and tank, a huge kick.

His main flaw was his contested work, which off a HBF is less problematic but also he seems to have toughened up a bit. Must be less worried about the egg.

Just so hard to see such an awesome rig go

I sense he is a guy who will be successful in other facets of life but he would be very hurt right now

So close but not quite

I'd much rather Clarke on the list than guys like Cutler & Ham.
Cutler would be our 8th best defender. Assuming injuries he'll play most weeks and do a good job.

Hard to see Ham not getting delisted.

Compare him to others vying for a spot on the wing.

Langford. Good runner both endurance and speed. Great mark. Excellent goal kick. Excellent field kick. Ok tackler but sporadic intensity. Tall.

Cox: Good runner endurance and speed. Great mark. Good goal kick. Excellent field kick. Good tackler and good intensity. Very tall.

Durham: Good runner both endurance and speed. Good field kick. Unknown goal kicking. Ok mark. Terrible (albeit improving) tackler but great intensity. Not tall.

Ham: Good runner both endurance and speed. Good field kick. Useful goal kicker. Useless mark. Woeful tackling. Tries hard but is genuinely scared. Short.

The only thing that could make Ham "interesting" relative to those first 3 is if he had Colyer like pace.

But back to Clarke, I wish him the best and have nothing but respect.

Good mark. Great intensity. Gut runner. Great tackler. But he wasn't enough of a ball magnet and hand pass king to compensate for his slowness and poor kicking.

Just didn't have a weapon. Wasn't quick, wasn't KPP tall, didn't have elite skills.

In that situation you really only have one option and that's to be a bit Dane Swan, just be a natural at finding and winning a heap of the footy. Clarke wasn't that.

If you're pretty much a purely defensive midfielder at AFL level then you're very, very unlikely to make it.

Just didn't have a weapon. Wasn't quick, wasn't KPP tall, didn't have elite skills.

In that situation you really only have one option and that's to be a bit Dane Swan, just be a natural at finding and winning a heap of the footy. Clarke wasn't that.

If you're pretty much a purely defensive midfielder at AFL level then you're very, very unlikely to make it.

What we saw in the AFL was role specific.

He was prolific at the lower level.

Problem is that he's an old fashioned ruck with ball in hand, so bad that it off set the rest of his game that was exceptionally well rounded.

I dont really understand how he got through all the elite programs, recognised with 2016 AA selection, with his kicking left as it was, incapable of small tinkering.

He should have been remodelled with his left foot years ago. Utter waste of talent but he had to go.

He's unlucky in my opinion. I thought he shouldve played in the elim final. Could've used his strength around the ball in the wet, and he was also good against the dogs a month earlier. But anyway, he got the best out of himself, was always in top condition and always gave everything he had on field. Played in 12 wins, 1 draw, 11 losses.

Yeah I felt like picking Caldwell ahead of him in the elimination final was an incorrect decision if you base it solely on putting the best side out there to win the game.

Cutler always had the raw tools to be a clear best-22 player, plenty of size, speed and tank, a huge kick.

His main flaw was his contested work, which off a HBF is less problematic but also he seems to have toughened up a bit. Must be less worried about the egg.
I was less convinced on Cutler, annoyed by his recruitment and vindicated after his first year. Happily, I'm now convinced of his potential. He deserves to stay having turned a corner where Clarke didn't.

Clarke actually has a good mind for football, I think. I recall him speaking about his role and the team context; very articulate and knew what he was on about.

The disappointing part is if Essendon knew Clarke was going to be delisted then it should have tried to trade him for something instead of delisting because his workrate wouldn't be a turn off and he was good in the tagging role but maybe Adrian did and there were no takers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The disappointing part is if Essendon knew Clarke was going to be delisted then it should have tried to trade him for something instead of delisting because his workrate wouldn't be a turn off and he was good in the tagging role but maybe Adrian did and there were no takers.
he hasn't played much and had just come out of a major injury rehab before that, the runs weren't on the board. Plenty of players drop out of the system due to injury and get redrafted later (these days it would be a DFA or SSP signing, but previously that's how we got Mitch Brown and Michael Hartley, Sydney has McCartin too).

If another club wants him they can take him now.

I was less convinced on Cutler, annoyed by his recruitment and vindicated after his first year. Happily, I'm now convinced of his potential. He deserves to stay having turned a corner where Clarke didn't.

Clarke actually has a good mind for football, I think. I recall him speaking about his role and the team context; very articulate and knew what he was on about.

Cutler's numbers at Brisbane were clearly AFL standard, he just had an underwhelming first season with us.

Clarke was OOC already, you can't trade an OOC player as far as I know, not that he had any trade value anyway.

Not sure why Ham gets so much hate, good kick, speed, runs hard and can finish in front of goal.

Agree he runs hard and can finish in front of goal, but I don't rate his field kicking at all - he panics under pressure. He is only 22 though, so it may come. Wasn't intended as having a jab at him, more just flat someone with Clarke's endeavour has missed out on a spot.

Cutler's numbers at Brisbane were clearly AFL standard, he just had an underwhelming first season with us.

Clarke was OOC already, you can't trade an OOC player as far as I know, not that he had any trade value anyway.
You can, however due to being delisted and rookied again he was a FA. If clubs were interested then he'd have been signed

Made an AFL list, played 24 senior games and had a couple of big highlights. Awesome job Dylan, thanks for your service to this proud club and hopefully they look after you with the transition to the next period of your life be that football at another club, semi professional football or building a career inside or outside of sport.

Up the dons

Can anyone confirm Dylan Clarke to return in mid season draft?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back