Delisted #39: Pat Voss - Stiff Armed by Essendon on Oct 25. Refer to #556

Remove this Banner Ad

Still behind Stringer and Langford. Has been better the last 2 weeks after a bit of a flat spot for 3 or 4 weeks. The issue is he is a medium forward and Scott is not looking at playing 4 medium forwards no matter how badly Weideman is going.
Also a medium forward without a point of difference. No leap, no pressure, no speed.

The Ned Cahill of medium forwards.

Still behind Stringer and Langford. Has been better the last 2 weeks after a bit of a flat spot for 3 or 4 weeks. The issue is he is a medium forward and Scott is not looking at playing 4 medium forwards no matter how badly Weideman is going.
I was looking into him a bit the other day and noticed he's quite big at 194cm and 96kg. He's the same height as Taylor Walker and Charlie Curnow (top 2 in the Coleman), 1cm off a Jack Riewoldt, Jesse Hogan, Aaron Naughton and Jack Lukosius and within 2-3cm of a host of other key forwards. He's actually bigger than Darcy Fogarty, Jacob Van Rooyen and Brody Mihocek. Does he play small or just doesn't have the attributes of these big names?

I was looking into him a bit the other day and noticed he's quite big at 194cm and 96kg. He's the same height as Taylor Walker and Charlie Curnow (top 2 in the Coleman), 1cm off a Jack Riewoldt, Jesse Hogan, Aaron Naughton and Jack Lukosius and within 2-3cm of a host of other key forwards. He's actually bigger than Darcy Fogarty, Jacob Van Rooyen and Brody Mihocek. Does he play small or just doesn't have the attributes of these big names?
Does not have the pace of the blokes you mentioned and he is not a good pack mark as he does not have a very good leap or strong hands in contested situations. He needs to be in space on the lead. He is actually Jake Stinger without the tricks. That is how he plays.

Is he the most likely rookie to be delisted if we need a spot (not counting the B rookies)
Hmm.

Wanganeen already signed ob
Baldwin will be promoted or traded I suspect
Menzie likely to be re-signed
Massimo fringe best 22

Montgomerie, him and Hunter not sure. Although I get the feeling that they'd promote Menzie if needed.

I have long held he is fighting for a spot with Langford and Stringer, but I am getting tempted with how Weideman is playing just to swap them.

The problem is what do you do to give Flipper a ruck chop out - Wright?

Last edited:
I have long held he is fighting for a spot with Langford and Stringer, but I am getting tempted with how Weideman is playing just to swap them.

The problem is what do you do to give Bryan a ruck chop out - Wright?
Would Voss attract a defender or would Wright still be stuck with two of them?

I guess if you're dropping Weid and Flip then no one would be in the pack marking contest to spoil the other.

Bryan and Voss in a pack marking situation would be... odd. One would snap like a twig and the other would struggle to defy gravity. I suppose Voss could be Bryan's step ladder?

Would Voss attract a defender or would Wright still be stuck with two of them?

I guess if you're dropping Weid and Flip then no one would be in the pack marking contest to spoil the other.

Bryan and Voss in a pack marking situation would be... odd. One would snap like a twig and the other would struggle to defy gravity. I suppose Voss could be Bryan's step ladder?
Sorry, I meant Flip. Dont know why I said Bryan.

It’s almost time, the last thing we want is another situation where we reach the end of his contract and we don’t know whether he’s up to scratch or not.

I’d do it this week given the Crows will probably go in a little smaller with Butts concussed.

Scott would have to change his tune if they pick him for Weideman as he has been big on playing blokes in the spots they have been working on. He simply is not a KP player despite him being 194cm. He has to get the right match up as a forward and a forward line with some space as he takes very few pack marks. If he did play then we have to play 2 rucks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pat Voss

14 disposals, eight marks, three goals

The most impressive thing from ‘Vossy’ has been his work to improve leading up at the ball carrier, which he did really well on the weekend. He looked strong, presented well and kicked well when given his chances. It was an excellent game from him as a key forward.

"It was an excellent game from him as a key forward."

Tv Show Lol GIF

Was he our best or did he simply play more games than the other favourites?

Saw a fair few games this year and he did go missing a fair bit. Played some very good games but was invisible in a few others.
Would say weight of games. While I have been on his case as far as senior selection goes he did play some good games that where at that level . I would have thought Monty was better.

He ran into Tapping at training and bumped into him pretty hard, hurt Tapping's ribs. When it didn't get better he got tests and discovered he had Myeloma.

The story is in McGrath's podcast from a while back;

Essendon forward Pat Voss has topped off a consistent 2023 VFL season by winning the club’s R.A. Freeman Medal.
The 20-year-old played in all 18 games this season, averaging five marks per game and booting 30 goals to finish as the team’s leading goal kicker.
An exciting prospect for the Bombers’ future, the 194cm forward was propelled by a rapid start to the season which saw him kick nine goals in the opening two rounds.
Utilised as both a deep option and a higher target up the ground, Voss continued to add layers to his game over the course of the year.

Tell me the intern wrote it without telling me the intern wrote it... 🤦‍♀️

Remove this Banner Ad

Back