Delisted #39: Pat Voss - Stiff Armed by Essendon on Oct 25. Refer to #556

Remove this Banner Ad

Good call IMO.

For all the people saying how tough he was, I saw very little aggression at the ball or player from in the VFL. Had plenty of opportunities to show form and get a call up but was very underwhelming.

I am a little on the fence about the Voss call. On one hand it's hard because he showed signs early in the year but then something just did not click and its almost like he plateaued and went through the motions for the second half of the year.

I will agree that he showed enough to at least warrant an opportunity but in the end, list spots are tight and whilst it's rough, it is a step in the right direction because change feels different but this is in a good way.
What did he really show ? I did not see him show much. Slow. Can not take a contested mark . Limited footy smarts and for a guy who was supposed to be physical he was not physical very often. Most of the games he kicked goal in where against the average sides. The 5 goal game was against GWS thirds. :cool:

What did he really show ? I did not see him show much. Slow. Can not take a contested mark . Limited footy smarts and for a guy who was supposed to be physical he was not physical very often. Most of the games he kicked goal in where against the average sides. The 5 goal game was against GWS thirds. :cool:
work rate early, when he tried to become that enforcer was when he seemed to be his downfall rather than naturally attack ball and man.

work rate early, when he tried to become that enforcer was when he seemed to be his downfall rather than naturally attack ball and man.
Do not agree with work rate either. I think I would have seen around 30 or his 49 VFL games live and work rate was not something I can remember writing down. He was good at watching his opponent disappear up the ground .

Hard to argue the call here…..but will argue for eternity that he should have got a game aged of Weid when he was in form (yes, different players) because who gives a s**t about structure if you have a bloke who doesn’t compete.

Hard to argue the call here…..but will argue for eternity that he should have got a game aged of Weid when he was in form (yes, different players) because who gives a s**t about structure if you have a bloke who doesn’t compete.
Did this games actually line up ?
Wiedemann was in reasonable form in the first 6 rounds. Voss was his best in the first 4 weeks in the VFL. Voss was playing pretty ordinary footy from round 5 to round 12 with 4 zero goal games. His good from was against GWS who at that stage had a crap load of injuries and where playing a heap of really young blokes and in round 2 against Sandy where he kicked some late goals.

its comments like this that aren't needed mate. Making the Essendon board unbearable lately

(don't big note yourself and say 'don't read it", do better)

I’d have thought rushing in, screenshotting an old post and patting yourself on for the back for calling that a fringe player would get delisted was the kind of commentary not needed personally.

I’d have thought rushing in, screenshotting an old post and patting yourself on for the back for calling that a fringe player would get delisted was the kind of commentary not needed personally.
yep, and as said to Ethan, probably needed to call you both out for acting like petulant children to be honest

I was worried for him when I think there was about 5 weeks to go and Tudor or one of the coaches were saying he was just starting to learn how to lead properly!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yep, and as said to Ethan, probably needed to call you both out for acting like petulant children to be honest

Hadn’t read that far when I replied to your post tbh.

Oddly enough it was only yesterday or the day before when CMC posted those team lineups colour coded by age / draft range that was actually quite interesting.

There’s a real sense of negativity that’s permeated this board, and yes I get people are frustrated with the clubs performance and it’s easy to feel negative about it, but it’s all consuming.

I can only assume Brad Scott has a crystal ball and can see who is and is not going to make it at AFL level and is cutting players accordingly. Munkara and Voss decisions otherwise seem very odd. We didn't make these sorts of early delistings before Scott turned up, did we? We usually hang onto players for five years.

Sounds like the right move then

Hobbs is the only one still on our list from 2021 drafts.

Voss joins Lord, McDonaugh and Snelling (RL elevation) as delisted.

Did this games actually line up ?
Wiedemann was in reasonable form in the first 6 rounds. Voss was his best in the first 4 weeks in the VFL. Voss was playing pretty ordinary footy from round 5 to round 12 with 4 zero goal games. His good from was against GWS who at that stage had a crap load of injuries and where playing a heap of really young blokes and in round 2 against Sandy where he kicked some late goals.
Was horribly uncompetitive v. St Kilda in round 3 and tbh I wrote him off at that point. He did have a couple of decent games after that but to me that St Kilda game defined him. Maybe unfair but that was how I saw it.

Good luck to him. I reckon he'll get a nice contract from a suburban team looking for a guy who can average 1 goal a quarter at that level as well as pinch hit at a few centre bounces. Only having to train twice a week he'll add that coin to his full time wage which should be juicy if he takes advantage of his hailebury network.

I don't expect to see him at AFL level again unless he can somehow build the tank of a midfielder.

I have a fundamental problem with the entire Voss lifecycle.

We draft him, knowing full well what his limitations were and what he was as a footballer, he plays well, again, within those limitations and then we cut and run after he has a pretty good year.

We also had a golden opportunity to blood him in form and with a head of steam and decided not to.

What does that accomplish? Outwardly at least, it would seem the Venn diagram for reasons for delisting him and the reasons for initially drafting him are a perfect circle.

Anyone disappointed in this has been thoroughly Essington'd. We've had a history of hanging onto average players for too long, this is a step in the right direction.
i've read this comment so many times in the last 10 years. the real problem is we dont just hang on to average players, but we play them in our best 22!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back