3rd West Australian team VS long term viability of poorer VIC Teams

Remove this Banner Ad

WHY more teams? The current comp has approx 80 extras on the lists courtesy of AFL expansion, players who would have been in the second tier, belong in the second tier, & we further weaken the talent pool.
I think 20 teams will be perfect with the growing population and bigger AFL presences in the northern states but I wouldn't want anymore than 20. I do agree that the standard of the competition is a bit weak at the moment but I think its's necessary growing pains for future befits.

I think 20 teams will be perfect with the growing population and bigger AFL presences in the northern states but I wouldn't want anymore than 20. I do agree that the standard of the competition is a bit weak at the moment but I think its's necessary growing pains for future befits.

Quality of product will catch us out some time in the future in media $s.

WHY more teams? The current comp has approx 80 extras on the lists courtesy of AFL expansion, players who would have been in the second tier, belong in the second tier, & we further weaken the talent pool.

80 players is the bottom four at each club who rarely get a game anyway

44 extra get a game each week which is 6% of the total on lists. 22 players 22 weeks means if just 44 players get an extra year on their contracts, the need is filled.

I love the whole talent pool argument. It will grow with the growth of the game is Sydney (70% since the Giants joined) and Im guessing in Qld.

Lets all remember someone has to come last. Wether 12 teams or 24 teams. We will still be bitching about how crap the bottom teams are. The funny thing is every time theres expansion theres a big whinge about talent. Then the new area after a few years gets their juniors boosted and things even out.
The media need games which is what boosts media revenue. WA3 and Tassie are probably (besides North Queensland and Canberra) the Last 2 areas that need a team.

What does a 3rd WA team represent? Who supports it? Someone educate me about WA football history, the fans splits, the AFL presence, and where a 3rd team will fit in.

Also, nice use of "team" and not "club"

What does a 3rd WA team represent? Who supports it? Someone educate me about WA football history, the fans splits, the AFL presence, and where a 3rd team will fit in.

Also, nice use of "team" and not "club"
There's no logical base for a third side in WA. It's not worth seriously entertaining the idea of a third side, particularly since as an established market they are unlikely to receive the same AFL support.

Pull your head in.

I will when you answer my question instead of taking a shot about an unrelated non-issue. If you have no relevant answer, stop quoting me and move on.

There's no logical base for a third side in WA. It's not worth seriously entertaining the idea of a third side, particularly since as an established market they are unlikely to receive the same AFL support.

Thank you! See, now that's what I'm talking about.

I will when you answer my question instead of taking a shot about an unrelated non-issue. If you have no relevant answer, stop quoting me and move on..

You took a shot first pal.

Thank you! See, now that's what I'm talking about.

Well many other WA people seem to think its needed. I will go with what they say though as Im not from there nor reside there.

Well many other WA people seem to think its needed. I will go with what they say though as Im not from there nor reside there.

It wasn't a shot, it was a observation that people aren't thinking about this is a club, just a team. A team only represents itself. A club represents something, and has members that all contribute to the cause. A new organisation in an already established market, that cannot engage a community by being a genuine club, has no chance.

Since you are so well informed about the SA landscape, you would know this is why the crows are now wheeling out lines such as "we want to be an authentic football club", in order to swing some momentum back there way, that they have lost to Port recently.

It wasn't a shot, it was a observation that people aren't thinking about this is a club, just a team. A team only represents itself. A club represents something, and has members that all contribute to the cause. A new organisation in an already established market, that cannot engage a community by being a genuine club, has no chance.

Since you are so well informed about the SA landscape, you would know this is why the crows are now wheeling out lines such as "we want to be an authentic football club", in order to swing some momentum back there way, that they have lost to Port recently.

it was a word I used. Club/team. They are the same thing. According to bf its "franchises" that are different.

Know nothing about SA. Sooo umm couldn't care less.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well basically in Perth you'd have 2 options.

Looking at the ever expanding Northern corridor of approx 250,000. The downside is that there are a lot of internationals up that way and a lot of people 'sea change' out there. Then you have to consider a large number may already be fans of a WA club. I think a club up there would struggle to find an identity.

On the other hand, you could look at the South-East, East and North-East population of about 320,000 people. These are typically blue collar areas and you may be able to develop an identity based on that against the upper class West Coast or hip Freo. Now, whether they have the disposable income to provide enough support or if there's enough growth areas would be questionable.

Well basically in Perth you'd have 2 options.

Looking at the ever expanding Northern corridor of approx 250,000. The downside is that there are a lot of internationals up that way and a lot of people 'sea change' out there. Then you have to consider a large number may already be fans of a WA club. I think a club up there would struggle to find an identity.

On the other hand, you could look at the South-East, East and North-East population of about 320,000 people. These are typically blue collar areas and you may be able to develop an identity based on that against the upper class West Coast or hip Freo. Now, whether they have the disposable income to provide enough support or if there's enough growth areas would be questionable.

Cheers for the info

The AFL wont get rid of any interstate clubs, who are you putting up?
I don't think any club will tolerate moving to WA so I would expect some powerhouse mergers.

The thought of which will offend any Victorian football fan of course.

Essendon Bulldogs, Carlton Kangaroos, Collingwood Hawks etc etc

I don't expect that to go down well.

Joondalup would be the landing base of a third club.

Personally I like the idea of expanding the squads to 75, reducing the clubs to 16 and introducing a national 2nds competition.
The northern suburbs are just so beige. I can't see where the support or passion would come from. They also need to steal a lot of fans from existing sides.

The northern suburbs are just so beige. I can't see where the support or passion would come from. They also need to steal a lot of fans from existing sides.

West Coast doesn't really own/claim any particular home in WA other than the entire state coast, which is fair enough.

There are a lot of suburbs up north, lots and lots of imported young families that would usually fall into supporting a soccer club in England, but they might jump on board if a new club was aimed at that market.

The AFL just wants to increase it's fan base to make more money, the quality of the competition is a second thought.

Ummm yeah, will make the Fitzroy deal seam like a slight tiff.
An alternative would be to only allow 16 of 20 (Assuming a TAS team and 3rd WA side) into the premier competition and four sides miss out and play in the 2nd competition that year.

Then the bottom four (or two) and top four (or two) of each comp swap for the following year.

Draft picks etc would be a headache as you would know the first four picks are going to go to the 2nd division sides.

An alternative would be to only allow 16 of 20 (Assuming a TAS team and 3rd WA side) into the premier competition and four sides miss out and play in the 2nd competition that year.

Then the bottom four (or two) and top four (or two) of each comp swap for the following year.

Draft picks etc would be a headache as you would know the first four picks are going to go to the 2nd division sides.
If clubs and fans are complaining about "funding" GC and the Giants then imagine the outcry funding a whole 2nd tier.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back