Player Watch #42: Kallan Dawson - Twomey reporting 1yr extension - Roo until end '24

Remove this Banner Ad

Modern day defender.

We need Logue back something shocking.

Pink and Corr are just not it.
Tom Doedee will be back in the next 2 weeks, 8 weeks early. Would love if Logue can get back early too if his body is right. Will make such a difference.

Modern day defender.

We need Logue back something shocking.

Pink and Corr are just not it.

Logue , Corr and Dawson for mine. Corr was rusty af. He will improve nothing surer.

Pink shouldn’t be mentioned in the same sentence as Corr. Zero chance of being on our list in 2025.

Logue , Corr and Dawson for mine. Corr was rusty af. He will improve nothing surer.

Pink shouldn’t be mentioned in the same sentence as Corr. Zero chance of being on our list in 2025.
Corr can keep the spot warm until Wil Dawson is ready.

Then he can join Gollam Wallam Jones.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Only his second game making a mockery of a bizarre selection policy last year to not give him a run of games in the seniors. I’m with Kallan.
He played four games in 2022 and averaged 5 marks and 14 possessions a game. He showed enough then to look like he'd make it as a player I reckon.

Only his second game making a mockery of a bizarre selection policy last year to not give him a run of games in the seniors. I’m with Kallan.
Agree to a point, but I think Kal playing (very well) in the 2’s has actually helped fast track his development.

Let’s hope he goes on with it in the 1’s and becomes a pillar in our defence for the next decade.

I think the other Dawson has the tools to be a beauty too.

He played four games in 2022 and averaged 5 marks and 14 possessions a game. He showed enough then to look like he'd make it as a player I reckon.
Got to admit I thought he looked okay as well, but he has also shown notable physical development since being put in a professional programme. That has to have helped him be more competitive. Given we had McKay and Logue already with support it's not the worst thing that he was given time to develop physically.

Agree to a point, but I think Kal playing (very well) in the 2’s has actually helped fast track his development.

Let’s hope he goes on with it in the 1’s and becomes a pillar in our defence for the next decade.

I think the other Dawson has the tools to be a beauty too.
Weird as it is, maybe thems the facts.

There's always an assumption that if bloke comes in and does well, he'd automatically do just as well without the development six months earlier.

Weird as it is, maybe thems the facts.

There's always an assumption that if bloke comes in and does well, he'd automatically do just as well without the development six months earlier.

the fact is he wasn't setting the world on fire in the first half of the VFL season; after he put some consistent form together from about the mid point, he got a game, which is how it should be, rather than just picking blokes because there's no one else.

A bit of rewriting history going on here.

1/Dawson was fitter than most of the list when he arrived at the club. Granted, he has put on bulk, but he already had an exception tank and was fast.

2/ He played well in the first half of 2023 and on merit should've replaced any number of underperforming defenders including McKay. But the selection committee chose to keep playing those higher profile, far higher paid players for whatever reason.

Thankfully he eventually got his chance but it should've come far earlier.

1/Dawson was fitter than most of the list when he arrived at the club. Granted, he has put on bulk, but he already had an exception tank and was fast.

2/ He played well in the first half of 2023 and on merit should've replaced any number of underperforming defenders including McKay. But the selection committee chose to keep playing those higher profile, far higher paid players for whatever reason.

Not from what I saw of the many VFL games I attended last year - and McKay didn't play until Round 5

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would be a brave football department that axes an out-of-contract player about to hit free agency, signalling to the other clubs that they can lowball their offers.

Continuing to play McKay has paid off massively. Do you think we get pick 3 compo for a guy who got dropped during the year?

here's the first 9 rounds from 2023 - fair to say, inconsistent. Note the tackle column in particular - in comparison, for the 5 rounds from R 17, he averaged 2.5 tackles. And it was at that point that the got a game in the seniors.

1710734739692.png

Again, McKay wasn't the only defender who spudded it up weeks at a time.

It's not the point, though, is it?

If we dropped McKay, it would have devalued him. We played it well, making teams think he was an automatic selection and therefore the best KPD available, to get the maximum compo.

I agree with what you're implying - the co-captain was at least as bad and wasn't dropped. He should have been.

It's not the point, though, is it?

If we dropped McKay, it would have devalued him. We played it well, making teams think he was an automatic selection and therefore the best KPD available, to get the maximum compo.

I agree with what you're implying - the co-captain was at least as bad and wasn't dropped. He should have been.
The point is that Dawson deserved to play far sooner than he did, not only based on his own good form but also because other defenders (not just McKay) were either poor regularly or inconsistent/unreliable.

The point is that Dawson deserved to play far sooner than he did, not only based on his own good form but also because other defenders (not just McKay) were either poor regularly or inconsistent/unreliable.

Is it possible that they told Dawson that his list spot was safe and they wanted him to keep developing in the VFL, whilst giving players like Lachie Young a chance to save their career?

here's the first 9 rounds from 2023 - fair to say, inconsistent. Note the tackle column in particular - in comparison, for the 5 rounds from R 17, he averaged 2.5 tackles. And it was at that point that the got a game in the seniors.

View attachment 1931693
Plenty of us watch the VFL - don't agree with your assessment of Dawson's first half of 2023. He was solid and certainly better than a number of guys spudding it up in the seniors.

Those stats for a KPD or 3rd don't tell the story - how many aerial contests did he win, halve or lose? How many goals did his direct opponent kick? Did he show good judgement to leave his man and intercept? Did he kill the ball with his spoils? Did he provide run and was he decisive with ball in hand?

Should've played earlier in the year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back