Past #43: Sam Gibson - #63 '12 RD - 130 consec. NM games (club record) - NM --> ADL for pk91 '17 ND

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Bastinac could fill Gibson's role should that need eventuate but it's hardly a pressing need. Boomer, Wells, Dal, Higgins and McKenzie could all offer more bang for your buck in that spot. In terms of hurt factor.

Our issues are our inability to gut run both ways and defend, Gibbo moving central and feeding our better users rather than the other way around will benefit us exponentially.

And the sub role? Why can't he be our sub? His ability to run is surely best utilised when everyone else is tired.providing him with less inferred pressure and hopefully enabling him to execute to a higher standard.

I don't understand the opposition to this.

I think Bastinac could fill Gibson's role should that need eventuate but it's hardly a pressing need. Boomer, Wells, Dal, Higgins and McKenzie could all offer more bang for your buck in that spot. In terms of hurt factor.

Our issues are our inability to gut run both ways and defend, Gibbo moving central and feeding our better users rather than the other way around will benefit us exponentially.

And the sub role? Why can't he be our sub? His ability to run is surely best utilised when everyone else is tired.providing him with less inferred pressure and hopefully enabling him to execute to a higher standard.

Well the opposition to this would be that his endurance is an asset. His repeat gut running is probably his standout skill, so why would you limit that by making him the sub.... Which probably won't be around much longer anyway.

tazaa and I still have nightmares with Gibson being used as the sub against Carlton in 2013.

Does he wake you up in the middle of the night?

NTTAWWT.
cody-rhodes-stardust_7375.jpg

From the NMFC website...

A known unknown

"After a scintillating semi-final performance against Geelong at the MCG last year, Sam Gibson was labeled, ‘Mr. Unknown’ by the media.

It seemed, to many, as if he had come out of nowhere or played out of his skin on that night – but those who have followed his career closely would know that it was far from a one off effort.

In fact it was Gibson’s 7th 30-plus possession game for 2014 after a year patrolling the wings, running deep into defense to give his teammates cover, or working hard forward to provide an option. Gibson was everywhere.

He also notched up his 60th consecutive game in the preliminary final against Sydney the following week. A streak that has not been broken since his AFL debut, in round 12, 2012."

Click link to read more. Also, worth noting the article was written by Sideshow Bob!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Edit: Where it says "media", replace with "Arjen"?!
Haha I did think of Arjen when I read this bit:
He also notched up his 60th consecutive game in the preliminary final against Sydney the following week. A streak that has not been broken since his AFL debut, in round 12, 2012.

Reports and the review panel are a crapshoot at the best of times but yes, that is the logical assessment.
Has he even been reported?

That.

But possibly it's just other coaches not really worrying about the hurt associated with those possessions.

Talk of him ever being reported is laughable too, unless of course it's for time wasting.

That.

But possibly it's just other coaches not really worrying about the hurt associated with those possessions.
Possibly. He wouldn't be the first player that opposition coaches would focus on and I agree he isn't the most damaging of players with his possessions.

And, without saying he couldn't be more effective (he could be), I don't think his value lies in how acutely damaging he is with each and every disposal. His value is in being able to constantly work up and down the field to be in the right position to be a link in the chain and invariably he has multiple possessions in a chain of possessions en route to goal. If he can do that, not stuff them up, and continue to make incremental improvements to his game, great. It seemed to me that he did that with his disposal and goal kicking last year, and his tackling. He seemed to be one of the more improved following the use of a tackling coach.

Last edited:
Possibly. He wouldn't be the first player that opposition coaches would focus on and I agree he isn't the most damaging of players with his possessions.

And, without saying he couldn't be more effective (he could be), I don't think his value lies in how acutely damaging his is with each and every disposal. His value is in being able to constantly work up and down the field to be in the right position to be a link in the chain and invariably he has multiple possessions in a chain of possessions en route to goal. If he can do that, not stuff them up, and continue to make incremental improvements to his game, great. It seemed to me that he did that with his disposal and goal kicking last year, and his tackling. He seemed to be one of the more improved following the use of a tackling coach.
And that running can be just as dangerous as a raking kick. Quick ball movement from back line to forward line breaks down without that running, thus giving the opposition time to get back and organise. Getting that guys in space all the time makes it difficult to do this and as such provides more space for the forwards to work in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back