Past #43: Sam Gibson - #63 '12 RD - 130 consec. NM games (club record) - NM --> ADL for pk91 '17 ND

Remove this Banner Ad

7th. In fairness, Gibson wasn't the only one who had a terrible prelim.

7th.

Jesus.

Ok well he must be good then.

I don't know much about you Arjen but did Gibbo do something to hurt your family or yourself? Gibbo is one of the first selected on the team sheet and that's a fact. Every player in the first half vs * was putrid and solid in the second half like the team. The Geelong SF, he was BOG by a long, long way at half time before a drop off in the 4th quarter (again, much like the team). Knock his kicking all you want but his desire, willingness and heart to keep on running and being an option. There's a reason why he hasn't missed a single game since his debut in 2012. If we was a dud like you portray him to be, he would be back at Box Hill in the VFL or would be an qualified engineer instead of playing for the greatest club on the planet each and every week!

I never called him a dud.. Nor has anyone else who questions his spot (and there are plenty)

I can't add anything to the conversation as Tas has said anything I wish to say more succinctly than I could ever have hoped.

Stodge on the inside and stodge on the outside = middle of the road oblivion.

Can he move inside and take Greenwoods role? He is obviously a better candidate for that role then Dumont/Jacobs.

7th.

Jesus.

I never called him a dud.. Nor has anyone else who questions his spot (and there are plenty)

I can't add anything to the conversation as Tas has said anything I wish to say more succinctly than I could ever have hoped.

Can he move inside and take Greenwoods role? He is obviously a better candidate for that role then Dumont/Jacobs.
7th best player at a club that made a prelim. That's bad?

7th.

Jesus.

Why waste him on the inside when he runs all day long? Sure, give him little stints on the inside to provide a valuable rotation. Greenwood couldn't hit the side of a barn yet everyone loved him. I'll back Jacobs or Dumont to not only fill Greenwood's role but be better than he ever was! Gibson is a vital cog in our side and if he weren't in it for whatever reason, we would be significantly worse off.

I honestly think some of the best game I've seen from Gibson were when he played more of an inside role. He has no problem finding the pill and he gets to more contests than other midfielders. His game against Richmond last season was brilliant. Was an extractor that handed it off to the better users. If we have a winger capable of working as hard as Gibson I'd move him inside. Could do the Greenwood extraction/tagging role well. He'd blow up most midfielders in the comp if he made them work both ways.

Don't under estimate Gibsons ability to create space which is vital in the modern game. Sitting on the Eithad wing you notice his running patterns and when he leads into space he just doesn't stop and throw his hinds in the air when its not kicked to him, he actually gets out of the space so that another player can then lead up, lost count of how many times I saw him do it then a team mate would receive in the exact same spot because Gibson created the space via hard work, then more often than not Gibson would present for the next kick which was rinse/repeat sort of stuff. Gibson does all that unrewarded running stuff that coaches bang on about and if he doesn't get it, someone else will and that's the most important thing.

Yes most certainly some knocks on his disposal at times, but we're a much better side when this bloke is going well, hopefully will continue to address disposal issues over preseason, he's a vital cog in our midfield to say the least.

Re-watched the Essendon final yesterday for the first time since being there.
Forgot about that link up goal that started from half back & went through the middle. Gibbo & Cunners almost made a mess of it but Sam finished off well with the snap. I was off my seat in the lounge room fist pumping yesterday too. Just hearing that crowd through the TV & remembering that atmosphere when we got on a roll in the third.
It reminded me of when that goal did go through after the last couple of almost fumbles, how loud I yelled. I distinctly remember my voice completely cracking because I was actually screaming as loud as I physically could & my throat gave in.
God that was a fun night.
I don't have as many 'live' game memories as some of you lads who have lived in Melbourne for a long time, so having just moved here the week before & for it to be such an important game, with such a big crowd & against that particular team... Unbelievable.

Also, Frank The Tank.

Re-watched the Essendon final yesterday for the first time since being there.
Forgot about that link up goal that started from half back & went through the middle. Gibbo & Cunners almost made a mess of it but Sam finished off well with the snap. I was off my seat in the lounge room fist pumping yesterday too. Just hearing that crowd through the TV & remembering that atmosphere when we got on a roll in the third.
It reminded me of when that goal did go through after the last couple of almost fumbles, how loud I yelled. I distinctly remember my voice completely cracking because I was actually screaming as loud as I physically could & my throat gave in.
God that was a fun night.
I don't have as many 'live' game memories as some of you lads who have lives in Melbourne for a long time, so having just moved here the week before & for it to be such an important game, with such a big crowd & against that particular team... Unbelievable.

Also, Frank The Tank.

Disgree with one bit - Gibbo almost made a mess of it, true, but Cunners kept remarkably cool and held the ball until Gibbo got back into position.

Disgree with one bit - Gibbo almost made a mess of it, true, but Cunners kept remarkably cool and held the ball until Gibbo got back into position.
Yeah, you're right. Probably could have worded it differently.

Great goal regardless.
Quite a few of the boys had a hand on it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What bit of Harpers play in that prelim was best ArjenTheGreat ?

Were you at the game?

Arjen the poster guidebook:

oppose Arjen = koolaid
over 23 = past it
JMac = exception to the rule
Gibbo = eternal grudge
Best 22 = every young player we have
Delaney is better than Grima

rinse and repeat.

Loved this B33.

Although I resent the implication that Wells, Dal & boomer are past it.

Grima is another good solid citizen but Luke was the big bodied full back we were crying out for and we developed him and he went on to finish 5th in his new clubs BnF.

He is a good defender mate. Plays within his limitations.

Last edited:
Gibson was b.o.g in finals game against geelong and had a good game against ess aswell... every north player failed against syd... Hes a lock in our best 22 inside or outside... Harper , has along way to go to even start round 1 hes playing for his future and Gibson is Elite! I know ther are alot of Harp fans but atm he's a reserves player lucky to still be on our List

Don't under estimate Gibsons ability to create space which is vital in the modern game. Sitting on the Eithad wing you notice his running patterns and when he leads into space he just doesn't stop and throw his hinds in the air when its not kicked to him, he actually gets out of the space so that another player can then lead up, lost count of how many times I saw him do it then a team mate would receive in the exact same spot because Gibson created the space via hard work, then more often than not Gibson would present for the next kick which was rinse/repeat sort of stuff. Gibson does all that unrewarded running stuff that coaches bang on about and if he doesn't get it, someone else will and that's the most important thing.

Yes most certainly some knocks on his disposal at times, but we're a much better side when this bloke is going well, hopefully will continue to address disposal issues over preseason, he's a vital cog in our midfield to say the least.
Great post. So important in any team sport, and especially in footy. That's why a bloke like Liam Anthony stood out like dogs balls when he was first drafted to us as he was the only player in the team who really offered this running, and as a consequence got a s**t load of the pill.

Footy is a team sport. Not everyone will score a shitload of goals, not everyone will win the clearances, but everyone must be able to perform their role within the team for the benefit of the team. Gibson does this to an absolute elite level. He is not a superstar nor the most skilled player, but the role he plays and the absolute perfection to which he plays it makes us a better team. Further to this there is no one in our squad who can play it as well as he plays it. He is super fit, really well drilled and very smart.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back