Past #44: Max Warren - club announces Max's contract will not be renewed (29 September) thanks Max

Remove this Banner Ad

Totally different footballers in my opinion.

Mullet loves a goal and loves to run and carry but he isn't even in the same ball park when it comes to reading the play and being able to create the way boomer does

Ok yes totally different footballers in the sense that Boomer is one of the greatest of all time and Mullett (thanks TwentyNine) is just a kid with good potential. Boomer is truly the one of the greatest at reading the play of all time. But surely people can see the similarities in the type of player or am I the only one?

agreed with RF08. I don't even think Mullet is that fast either.

I dislike when people think that because Mullet kicks goals from defence that he'll kick 4/5 a game if moved up the field. He'd be given different latitude playing in the forward line and is less likely to be given space to move.

Not sure posters thinks he will kick 4-5 a game lol

Mullet has got a beautiful kick on him and that makes him very dangerous anywhere near the forward 50 arc . He is definitely my choice to move up the field and the wing would be the preference. Help out in defence, run and carry and slot the odd booming goal.

Has he got the tank to run all day?

agreed with RF08. I don't even think Mullet is that fast either.

I dislike when people think that because Mullet kicks goals from defence that he'll kick 4/5 a game if moved up the field. He'd be given different latitude playing in the forward line and is less likely to be given space to move.

Brett33 I think you're a fantastic poster but in this instance I disagree with every word you said. As has been said, no-one thinks he'll kick 4-5 goals a game if he moves out of defence, if that was the case we'd be looking at a 100 goal season.

All I'm saying is this, you may not think he's Usain Bolt, but he takes the game on like few in our side do and I think we should utilise this. I've never seen him run down by opposition. He pretty much never misses when he takes a shot for goal and when he does run and carry, inevitably something good happens (just like Boomer). I just think that in a predominantly defensive role we're under utilising his rare abilities.

Of Atley, McDonald and himself, in my opinion he's the most ready to move out of the defence and of the three I see him as the least likely to remain a defender for his career.

I don't think Mullett is the replacement Boomer but he is certainly closer than Harper is.

The sad reality that we have to accept is that there probably won't be a replacement Boomer. His combination of skill and longevity make him a once in a generation player. We're gonna sorely miss him when he (eventually) hangs up the boots so enjoy him while you can folks!

I don't think Mullett is the replacement Boomer but he is certainly closer than Harper is.

The sad reality that we have to accept is that there probably won't be a replacement Boomer. His combination of skill and longevity make him a once in a generation player. We're gonna sorely miss him when he (eventually) hangs up the boots so enjoy him while you can folks!
That's 20 years from now.

Brett33 I think you're a fantastic poster but in this instance I disagree with every word you said. As has been said, no-one thinks he'll kick 4-5 goals a game if he moves out of defence, if that was the case we'd be looking at a 100 goal season.

All I'm saying is this, you may not think he's Usain Bolt, but he takes the game on like few in our side do and I think we should utilise this. I've never seen him run down by opposition. He pretty much never misses when he takes a shot for goal and when he does run and carry, inevitably something good happens (just like Boomer). I just think that in a predominantly defensive role we're under utilising his rare abilities.

Augie, definitely an exaggeration from myself on the goal front. But the general consensus from a few posters is he'll kick more despite not taking into account the lack of freedom he'd get up the ground.

You do make good points but personally I just don't see it. Mullet has a beautiful long kick and runs in a straight line (I don't think he has the agility to be considered in the same solar system as Boomer), Boomer is as crafty as they come and a master of short kicks that find targets. It seems as though whenever we have a good defender with some run and carry posters want to more them up the ground. With so many attacks starting down back these days I think it's almost criminal to remove a player that offers so much coming out of the back 50 (Atley included. Although with his weapons I think he is worth the experimentation). If some had their way we'd have Hine, McMahon and Wright as our small defenders.

I think we are utilising Mullet well and with more preseasons, more experience and natural progression he'll be one of the leagues best rebound defenders. I see him more as a McLeod type.

Also I'll start questioning your judgement in all things if you think I'm a good poster :)

Augie, definitely an exaggeration from myself on the goal front. But the general consensus from a few posters is he'll kick more despite not taking into account the lack of freedom he'd get up the ground.

You do make good points but personally I just don't see it. Mullet has a beautiful long kick and runs in a straight line (I don't think he has the agility to be considered in the same solar system as Boomer), Boomer is as crafty as they come and a master of short kicks that find targets. It seems as though whenever we have a good defender with some run and carry posters want to more them up the ground. With so many attacks starting down back these days I think it's almost criminal to remove a player that offers so much coming out of the back 50 (Atley included. Although with his weapons I think he is worth the experimentation). If some had their way we'd have Hine, McMahon and Wright as our small defenders.

I think we are utilising Mullet well and with more preseasons, more experience and natural progression he'll be one of the leagues best rebound defenders. I see him more as a McLeod type.

Also I'll start questioning your judgement in all things if you think I'm a good poster :)
Just on this... how many times has Boomer dodged multiple tackles without taking a step? A number of times this year (and in previous seasons) I've seen him stand on the spot (sometimes doing a 360) and make several baulks that fool defenders and give him a clear kick without even having to move. The combination of football IQ and experience and speed with this guy is ridiculous

Just on this... how many times has Boomer dodged multiple tackles without taking a step? A number of times this year (and in previous seasons) I've seen him stand on the spot (sometimes doing a 360) and make several baulks that fool defenders and give him a clear kick without even having to move. The combination of football IQ and experience and speed with this guy is ridiculous
Without question the best I've seen. EVERYONE knows he's going to do it but the opposition are fooled by it anyway. I'd like to attend one of those training functions they do and ask if I can try and tackle him. If by some chance I'm not thrown out It'd be interesting to see the level of skill first hand.

Disagree: Mullett is in any way a Boomer substitute. Boomer can find space in a phone box. Boomer can outmark bigger opponents or stand on their heads. Boomer can kick a goal or hit a target from any angle and lives for the pressure shot.

Agree: Might be time to experiment with the ozzyoslo hypothesis. I understand the pov that Mullett only gets his goals because of latitude from coming off HB but maybe that's selling him short. Floating between HFF and wing, Mullett might be a guy who really accumulates goals with more opportunities.

I stuffed this up by saying he's a Boomer 'replacement'. I mean replacement in the sense that Petrie is Carey's replacement. Obviously he's irreplaceable, one of the all time greats. I just see some characteristics in Mullet to play a 'Boomer role'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, put me in the camp that thinks Mullett could be moved further up field before Atley. They have different pros and cons.

But to be honest, I think LMac is one who also could be moved also - won't have the fitness base yet though, not sure but can see it sooner rather than later.

I like Mullett setting up behind the ball, but not on the last line.

If Warren works out, we then have a rebounding brigade of Atley, Mullet and LMac.

Very dangerous.

Too early for him I think saints, I prefer to have him there as he inspires the team with his hardness/mongrel which only strengthens in time.

Yeah probably is ozzy. I just am not a huge fan of seeing him one out and deep in the backline - as other coaches try to drag him back. I think the hardness/mongrel you speak of would be more useful further afield

But yep, too early and he is going well where he is for sure

#44 Max Warren

WARREN%20Max.png

Games: 1
Goals: 0

Summary:
A steady performer for North Ballarat at the VFL level, Warren entered 2014 on the rookie list needing to have an impact if his career would North Melbourne would continue past a third year. After a consistent year for the Roosters, Warren and most North supporters were blind-sighted when he was upgraded to the senior list and included in the senior team to take on the Brisbane Lions in Round 15. With two disposals and two tackles, Warren's debut game was fairly unconvincing, however the weather was not conducive for a first gamer.

Back in the VFL, Warren continued his good form at North Ballarat, playing as a lockdown defender on the opposition small forward while getting plenty of the ball himself. After his AFL experience, he kept Jeff Garlett to no score and 13 touches while picking up 19 possessions himself. Despite this, Warren was delisted by the club at the end of the season. He leaves knowing he contributed for the blue and white stripes and will go down in North Melbourne history because of it.

Buoyed by making his first senior appearance, Max Warren is calling on the experience to make further strides in his development.

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2014-07-14/from-defence-to-attack

North Melbourne defender Max Warren is set to make his debut on Saturday night.

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2014-06-25/warren-to-debut-nmfc

Max+Warren+North+Melbourne+Kangaroos+Training+iyq9UjN5Wzhl.jpg

Max+Warren+North+Melbourne+Kangaroos+Training+XB4O6TM7D3nl.jpg

335033-tlsgalleryportrait.jpg

360864-adc60210-fecc-11e3-9f45-ae70f9e6c986.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back