Delisted #49: Tom Hird - Delisted, thank you for your service - 23/8

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tom Hird​

Key stats: One goal, 14 disposals, two marks

"His work-rate has been the highlight of his last month. He probably got a little bit too high (up the ground) for what we'd like, but he was still at a lot of fall-of-the-ball contests and ended up kicking a goal. He's getting into positions to kick goals but missing a couple, so if he can finish off a bit better, he'll end up having really good games. He'll keep working on his polish."

ant555 is there a flaw in Tom’s kicking? He seems a lovely looking kick in open play, unsure what’s happening when kicking for goal. Would be below .500 for goalkicking on the year without having stats in front of me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There is a flaw in a lot of the stuff he does. For mine he is a delist but given we are looking for a bit of forward half work rate we could do a lot worse than given him a crack for 2 or 3 weeks. At least we know he will chase and tackle.

8.11 Yoda_

He was a 8-9 disposal player last year and not really hitting the scoreboard and now he’s a 15-18 disposal player who is basically going at a goal a game.

All you can ask for is demonstrating rate of improvement, he may not have as many weapons at the moment but if he cover the ground he almost has to play at this point.

Quarters are too short and the game is too congested in the VFL to find that out there.

8.11 Yoda_

He was a 8-9 disposal player last year and not really hitting the scoreboard and now he’s a 15-18 disposal player who is basically going at a goal a game.

All you can ask for is demonstrating rate of improvement, he may not have as many weapons at the moment but if he cover the ground he almost has to play at this point.

Quarters are too short and the game is too congested in the VFL to find that out there.
He’s nowhere near it. You suggesting he plays seniors? And what do you mean quarters are too short?

He’s nowhere near it. You suggesting he plays seniors? And what do you mean quarters are too short?

Absolutely, and soon. Number 1 we need to work out whether he can play or not so we can form a decision on him and number two, he’s quite clearly advanced on Wanganeen who they threw in so why the hell not.

Smaller grounds, generally lower scores, more congested style, it’s not as great a test of endurance as an AFL game would be and endurance is essentially the key thing for someone in that half forward role he is playing.

I do not think he can make it. In fact I think he plays with his old mans instinct which does not actually suit his size and ability.
I will say that he has improved this year and has been a consistent VFL performer so I would have no issue giving him 2 or 3 games and just telling him to go hard, chase and tackle and see what we get.

We really should just give him a chance. It's not like he doesn't deserve a go, he's been in our top half dozen consistently all season. We're 2-10, it's not the end of the world if he doesn't make it, but surely it's at least worth finding out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They would not just be handing out a game at this stage either. He has been a consistent performer over the last 5 weeks.

eth-dog where's Dylan Buckley these days?

Think he has a podcast with GWS.

Need to draft a Ricciuto and Harvey too to complete the set though
And some sort of show thing on the AFL website. Interviews random people, I watched the one with Bec Goddard but he seems to do a few different ones.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back