737 Crashes into World Trade Centre

Remove this Banner Ad

I was very disaspointed.
The first plane hit at 10:52pm our time.

I remember doing homework whilst watching 'Rove Live' and I finished just as it ended. That was at 10:30. I then went straight to bed.

I wish I could have been up to watch it live all night. The different emotions inside your body stirring. The fear, anxiety, tension. I think it would have been really life-changing to watch it live. Its a bit different waking up the next morning and seeing it all. I would have prefered to had experienced it live, not knowing what was coming. It felt different not to have seen it live. Anyone else know what I mean?

And the people that were awake watching it. Well done. It must have been pretty bloody frightening watching this unfold before your own eyes.
Decided to go for a scroll back through this thread today (I wasn't on BF at the time).

This is exactly what I was doing that night too! I watched the first 5 minutes of the late news, Sandra Sully said that a plane had crashed into a building in the US. I thought to myself "well, that sucks a bit" and went to bed. My mum stayed up the entire night watching it.

Oddly, the other thing I vividly remember about the next day was that we had cross country at school. It was the only thing we actually did for the entire day, the rest of it was spent watching the TV and pondering what would happen next. I was in Year 12, so most of us were either 18 or just about to turn it, the conversation came around to possibly going to war and whether they would bring conscription back!!

Over 20 years ago, but I remember it like it was yesterday!

Also, for anyone who ever gets the chance. The 9/11 memorial in NY is absolutely amazing. Will definitely head back there again, we were travelling with 18 month old twins when we were over there, so couldn't spend as much time taking it all in as I would have liked.

Decided to go for a scroll back through this thread today (I wasn't on BF at the time).

This is exactly what I was doing that night too! I watched the first 5 minutes of the late news, Sandra Sully said that a plane had crashed into a building in the US. I thought to myself "well, that sucks a bit" and went to bed. My mum stayed up the entire night watching it.

Oddly, the other thing I vividly remember about the next day was that we had cross country at school. It was the only thing we actually did for the entire day, the rest of it was spent watching the TV and pondering what would happen next. I was in Year 12, so most of us were either 18 or just about to turn it, the conversation came around to possibly going to war and whether they would bring conscription back!!

Over 20 years ago, but I remember it like it was yesterday!

Also, for anyone who ever gets the chance. The 9/11 memorial in NY is absolutely amazing. Will definitely head back there again, we were travelling with 18 month old twins when we were over there, so couldn't spend as much time taking it all in as I would have liked.
Absolutely. We spent 4 hours in there. The voicemails left by family members to those who died are so sad.

This is on my Christmas list.

My mum's friend died in one of the towers. She had been there for two weeks for a new role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was in Munich when Sept. 11 happened. It was close to 3pm. Walking through one of the long exit corridors at the main railway station (Hauptbahnhof), there was a big screen TV with CNN on (sound off) and German subtitles. Occasionally, you would find at most one or two people watching it briefly, but this day there was a crowd of 50 people watching after the first plane hit. Through the German subtitles, I could read the English scroll saying a plane had crashed into the WTC. Initially, the thought was possibly some catastrophic mechanical failure, until the second plane appeared live on the screen and smashed directly into the other tower. Immediately, you knew then it was terrorist attack using hijacked planes. I had to fly back home three weeks later and was glad when we safely landed back in Melbourne.

Incredible find!

The full episode of Talking Footy on the evening of 9/11

Ten Late News coverage with Sandra Sully.

Like most, i was watching 7 and immediately switched to 10 late news who happened to be on air at the time.

Don't think i went to bed until the same time 24hrs later

EDIT - remembered it wrong, in Adelaide they immediately went to the NBC Today feed

Last edited:
Started watching very early over a mates place.

Before the second plane hit he fell asleep believe it or not, was a postie though. Hanged around there for a couple of mores hours as couldn't keep my eyes of the coverage.

Initial breaking news from Sandra Sully who was the first to break the news in Australia.

I was watching that live! Surreal. The 'big story' before it was Matthew Lloyd getting 2 weeks for headbutting. The next day I asked a friend at school, 'did you hear what happened last night? He replied, 'Matthew Lloyd got 2 weeks'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back