Podcast 8bit to the Future Podcast - Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

international-soccer-commodore-64.jpg
killed_until_dead-2.gif

m6pWNRWhG5PlhFgvmHZ3U5Q.jpg

Episode 7 has gone live.

Straying from our usual format for one episode, we mark our transition to Bigfooty.com with a focus on AFL video games. For our “future” section, we give our take on the recent E3 conference.

As always, we discuss what games have been keeping us busy and we list our most anticipated games shown at E3.

Check us out: https://itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/8bit-to-the-future/id887123702?mt=2

Thanks to Grechy GoldenHodge Pea Nut WEEVZ Cattas_21 SugarShane for your comments, we have read and responded to them in this episode.

m6pWNRWhG5PlhFgvmHZ3U5Q.jpg

Episode 7 has gone live.

Listening to the episode now. Cheers for responding to my comments. Thanks for the clarification regarding GTA V. Didn't realise Sharms stopped playing GTA V because it had lost her interest, I just assumed you guys reviewed it prematurely without waiting for her to finish the game. You guys had some issues with the Assassin's Creed IV controls, I've only played AC2, AC:BH and AC3. So a question for the other guys on this board, are the controls for ACIV widely different from the previous games and are they worse than their predecessors?

Listening to the episode now. Cheers for responding to my comments. Thanks for the clarification regarding GTA V. Didn't realise Sharms stopped playing GTA V because it had lost her interest, I just assumed you guys reviewed it prematurely without waiting for her to finish the game. You guys had some issues with the Assassin's Creed IV controls, I've only played AC2, AC:BH and AC3. So a question for the other guys on this board, are the controls for ACIV widely different from the previous games and are they worse than their predecessors?

There was a definite split of opinions amongst us, though we all agreed that the Assassin's Creed games had a steep learning curve to learn the controls. I think it has a unique control scheme that can become very intuitive, once you get the hang of it.

I've played every AssCreed game (including the Vita game which I platinum'd, the two iPad/Nintendo DS ones and platinum'd AssCreed 2 on PS3) and I have to disagree (again) with what they've said. AssCreed used to have controls that were a lot harder to master, such as R1+x to run and R1+tap x to sprint and then R1 by itself to free run; but now they've casualised the controls where it's just R1 to sprint and grab onto to anything. The combat used to be challenging but so satisfying, now it's just press square to counter and insta kill. AssCreed 2 is in my top 5 all time games but the series just got worse as it went on. I'm about half way through ACIV but haven't touched it for months as it's just bored me shitless.

I've played every AssCreed game (including the Vita game which I platinum'd, the two iPad/Nintendo DS ones and platinum'd AssCreed 2 on PS3) and I have to disagree (again) with what they've said. AssCreed used to have controls that were a lot harder to master, such as R1+x to run and R1+tap x to sprint and then R1 by itself to free run; but now they've casualised the controls where it's just R1 to sprint and grab onto to anything. The combat used to be challenging but so satisfying, now it's just press square to counter and insta kill. AssCreed 2 is in my top 5 all time games but the series just got worse as it went on. I'm about half way through ACIV but haven't touched it for months as it's just bored me shitless.

It's not so much that the controls are hard to master, more that the character often has a tendency to run and scale walls inadvertently when you are attempting to merely run past them.

Willow didn't have an issue with it as he has played a few of the Assassin's Creed games in the past. For the others, this was a source of frustration in chase missions as you would fail at tailing a target as Edward would randomly run up a wall that you were trying to run past.

May seem difficult to comprehend for series veterans and Willow argued heavily in that episode that the others simply did not spend enough time with the game, which is probably right.

That's the sort of learning curve we are referring to, not that it has complex buttons to master.

Just listened to the podcast now, as usual really enjoyed it, glad to hear that you're still into playing the first AFL Live :)

In my opinion the difference between the games is that the first AFL Live was made by footy fans that go every week, as many a Big Footy member knows, you can catch me at any Carlton game whenever/wherever they play, same goes for the AFL Live lead programmers, designers, etc - we are just rabid fans of the real game and really care about the sport. The Big Ant team were absolutely gutted that we didn't build on the base that was AFL Live and move forward with the franchise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I couldn't see it being feasible as the market's too small but a game that brought back the bump etc.. and where dropping the ball meant dropping the ball etc etc would be awesome - you know, REAL footy - as a fan it's what I'd want to see for sure but it's a dream.

That's one of the old NHL games, right?

Cant remember which one that is... little help?

That's from Blades of Steel - The first hockey game to include "The fight!"

EA games released one version with fighting but canned it, unfortunately.

I found a black zip up bag when I recently moved house in the back of a cupboard. Inside a N64, games and controllers.

You bastard.

Every time I ask you to find my N64 you said you couldn't :mad:

Episode 8 will go live early next week.

In the next episode we look at the WWF/WWE Smackdown series, Mario Kart 8 and look ahead at Mortal Kombat 10.

Looking at putting together another episode soon.

We are thinking of reviewing Trog (a bit of a fave of ours as well)

Any other suggestions?

Probably look at Watchdogs as our recent-ish game.

Looking at putting together another episode soon.

We are thinking of reviewing Trog (a bit of a fave of ours as well)

Any other suggestions?

Probably look at Watchdogs as our recent-ish game.

One does not simply think about reviewing Trog. It's a great game and one I have very fond memories of.

Episode 8 of the 8bit to the Future podcast recently went live!

This episode looks at WWF Smackdown! 2: Know Your Role, Mario Kart 8 and Mortal Kombat 10

Looking for our episodes?

PC / Apple Devices: https://itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/id887123702
Android Device: http://t.co/sYkN2kAMzO

You guys were talking about how cool would it be if there was a Mortal Kombat racing game, such a game exists. It's a minigame in Mortal Kombat Armageddon. Pretty much just a Mario Kart clone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back