Player Watch #9 Will Hayward

Remove this Banner Ad

OJ091219MW2517.JPG

Will Hayward
Spritely Sydney Swans forward Will Hayward enjoyed a rocketing start to his career as he became the 11th-youngest player in the AFL era to reach 50 career goals in 2018. The 2016 draftee’s nippy pace and cunning goal awareness have made him a dangerous option in coach John Longmire’s forward line. A broken jaw and a persistent hip injury limited Hayward to just 12 goals in 13 senior games in 2019, but the South Australian is attacking the 2020 campaign on the back of his first full pre-season. Don’t be surprised if the exciting Swan finds himself on a wing this year.

Will Hayward
DOB: 26 October 1998
DEBUT: 2017
DRAFT: #21, 2016 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Walkerville (SA)/North Adelaide (SANFL)

Draft picks

That don't impress a me much 🎶
I like Hayward and think hes valuable and I'm not overly interested in adding even more youth to sit in the VFL either. But if you can use those 2 picks or Sydney and Adelaide's first round picks this year to move up or trade for a mid 20 year old gun... very tempting.

Clubs lock up the top tier of the draft and they need to want to be in Sydney to boot.

A pile of late first rounders sounds annoying, no one will give us their pick for a gun forward in exchange

That's a bunch of kids that are going to want opportunity while we're contending

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For me the big question if Hayward leaves is who plays his role? Especially, how important is Hayward's aerial ability when planning for how to replace him? Do we need to get a replacement externally or can we confidently replace him internally?

Robbie Fox has been playing forward more this season. Could we be grooming him as a no frills successor? Doesn't have the same marking ability but can bring the ball to ground and he applies good pressure and can run and run.

Then the likes of Parker can also go through that forward role. Sheldrick is obviously shorter and not as much of a jumper or marker compared with Hayward but could you bring Sheldrick in and juggle things around??

For me the big question if Hayward leaves is who plays his role? Especially, how important is Hayward's aerial ability when planning for how to replace him? Do we need to get a replacement externally or can we confidently replace him internally?

Robbie Fox has been playing forward more this season. Could we be grooming him as a no frills successor? Doesn't have the same marking ability but can bring the ball to ground and he applies good pressure and can run and run.

Then the likes of Parker can also go through that forward role. Sheldrick is obviously shorter and not as much of a jumper or marker compared with Hayward but could you bring Sheldrick in and juggle things around??
Zurhar

I'm hoping he stays, and I really can't believe so many of you think he doesn't deserve his spot and/or should be traded.

He's 25, just reaching the prime of his career; has almost 150 games of playing experience with our group; is consistently fit to play; delivers 1.5 goals and 2.5 tackles a game; and puts team first by sacrificing his game to play the role is given.

On the weekend he took Frost completely out of the game... this weekend I'm expecting him to go Himmel. He does this type of role week after week, and still he gets no love!

Who the hell are you expecting to come in and play his role? We need someone to come in and hit the ground running, kick 30-40 goals a year, have significant levels of experience (about 100 games), tackle and pressure, and be willing to sacrifice his own game for the good of the team... oh, and cost less!

Ill Miss You GIF

I'm hoping he stays, and I really can't believe so many of you think he doesn't deserve his spot and/or should be traded.
I can't speak for others, and I won't go into the reasons I'm not that keen on him in the side, lest it turn into another Hayward pile-on, but I think as for the reasons to trade him, I think our hands may be tied somewhat.

Judging by his RFA status, Hayward is in our top 25% of earners, but he's not in our top 25% of players (This is not a criticism - I don't think even his staunchest advocates could claim that he is one of or even close to being in our best 11 players.)

We've re-signed better and more important players recently, and will need to re-sign better and more important players in the immediate future, so the club has to think about where - or who - they're gonna put their money towards.

It's very likely we won't be able to offer him what he was previously on. So to stay with us he'd have to take a substantial pay cut. That already works against us. Then when you consider the seemingly desperate SA clubs lurking, it's not hard to imagine a reality where they ARE willing to offer him what he was previously on, possibly more.

It wouldn't be fair to expect Hayward to settle for less if he doesn't have to, and it wouldn't be fair to expect the Swans to offer more if they don't want to. Could just be two parties at odds with each other's priorities.

We've lost better players for less in the past.

He's 25, just reaching the prime of his career; has almost 150 games of playing experience with our group; is consistently fit to play; delivers 1.5 goals and 2.5 tackles a game; and puts team first by sacrificing his game to play the role is given.

On the weekend he took Frost completely out of the game... this weekend I'm expecting him to go Himmel. He does this type of role week after week, and still he gets no love!

Who the hell are you expecting to come in and play his role? We need someone to come in and hit the ground running, kick 30-40 goals a year, have significant levels of experience (about 100 games), tackle and pressure, and be willing to sacrifice his own game for the good of the team... oh, and cost less!

Ill Miss You GIF
Amen brother. I don't think he's one of our top 10 players and probably closer to bottom 6 of the best 23 but he's everything you said and won't be easy to replace if he goes. Very solid role player and he'd be missed.

If we are playing the two tall forwards + the 1 ruck/forward then Hayward's ability becomes a bit redundant.

Ill Miss You GIF
HHK. On wait, he was delisted............

I can't speak for others, and I won't go into the reasons I'm not that keen on him in the side, lest it turn into another Hayward pile-on, but I think as for the reasons to trade him, I think our hands may be tied somewhat.

Judging by his RFA status, Hayward is in our top 25% of earners, but he's not in our top 25% of players (This is not a criticism - I don't think even his staunchest advocates could claim that he is one of or even close to being in our best 11 players.)

We've re-signed better and more important players recently, and will need to re-sign better and more important players in the immediate future, so the club has to think about where - or who - they're gonna put their money towards.

It's very likely we won't be able to offer him what he was previously on. So to stay with us he'd have to take a substantial pay cut. That already works against us. Then when you consider the seemingly desperate SA clubs lurking, it's not hard to imagine a reality where they ARE willing to offer him what he was previously on, possibly more.

It wouldn't be fair to expect Hayward to settle for less if he doesn't have to, and it wouldn't be fair to expect the Swans to offer more if they don't want to. Could just be two parties at odds with each other's priorities.

We've lost better players for less in the past.

Thats the x factor, yep I value and want him, but we cannot pay everyone, sometimes it is a choice between players. Choices we won't know

Only if we let Logan roam further a field, something I'd love to see
Hayward has taken 1 contested mark for the year.

He was averaging almost one a game in previous seasons where Franklin and Reid were the key talls and Hayward was needing to work up the ground and provide a target.

It isn't really needed anymore.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back