List Mgmt. A-grade midfielders at Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

One more year for Billy IMO….unless we can package him with a 1st rounder for a top liner.

He's talented, but whats between the ears might be a worry…..that is, if there is anything.

I think he'll stay and hopefully make an impact. Not outside the realms of possibility if the coaches can harness his ability.

Surely we can pluck some talent from $wans??

Any of Parker/Mitchell/Kennedy/Hanners/Bird would be nice

I would personally go JPK over Danger even (though think he is contracted)

Last edited:
Surely we can pluck some talent from $wans??

Any of Parker/Mitchell/Kennedy/Hanners would be nice

I would personally go JPK over Danger even (though think he is contracted)
The only one of those who would have any motivation to walk is Mitchell and he's contracted.

And the big problem with that, is unlike others he's been smashed into the team, and kept there, despite poor form. He's played more than twice the games that any of Walker, Brown, Schroder, Kersten, McCarthy and Thurlow have. He should not be as invisible on the field as he still consistently is.

What's worse, he's already played 4 finals. Here's his record:

2012 Elim: 2 disposals, 0 marks, 0 goals, 1 tackle
2013 Prelim: 10 disposals, 4 marks, 1 goal, 3 tackles
2014 QF: 9 disposals, 2 marks, 1 goal, 2 tackles
2014 Semi: 7 disposals, 2 marks, 0 goals, 2 tackles

Was reasonable in last year's Prelim, but aside from that has been pretty much woeful. And when the two most recent finals (with 40+ games' experience) are two of the less impressive, that's a mild cause for concern.

I agree with your concerns and I have been saying for a while now that Murdoch needs to learn to win his own ball. He just does not find the footy enough for a player of his height and athletic ability. He also seems to win very few contests.

Caddy on the brink rabbi……and Mitch Duncan will be if he's not already. Expecting a huge 2015 from Mitch.

I'm resetting expectations on every single player on the list. As far as I'm concerned - especially watching Hawthorn's overall FOOTBALL skills - I'm invoking the null hypothesis. In other words, every player that's there in Round 1, 2015 has to prove they're a good footballer. I don't give a s**t what they've done prior to that date, as it's irrelevant. Ideally too, I'd like them to have actual football skills. That is, marking and kicking preferably.

I'm resetting expectations on every single player on the list. As far as I'm concerned - especially watching Hawthorn's overall FOOTBALL skills - I'm invoking the null hypothesis. In other words, every player that's there in Round 1, 2015 has to prove they're a good footballer. I don't give a s**t what they've done prior to that date, as it's irrelevant. Ideally too, I'd like them to have actual football skills. That is, marking and kicking preferably.
More than often I agree with what you say, no matter how 'cynical' but after Port's effort against Hawthorn's best I kinda back some of our kittens to improve..

Caddy on the brink rabbi……and Mitch Duncan will be if he's not already. Expecting a huge 2015 from Mitch.

They are still not A graders in my book.
And Johnson may taper off next year as he isn't getting any younger.

More than often I agree with what you say, no matter how 'cynical' but after Port's effort against Hawthorn's best I kinda back some of our kittens to improve..

I'm sure some will. Doesn't cover the monumental odds against all our injured players being fit (i.e. very slim to none at all), or that all the veterans will all play every week and be another year older, and that anywhere between 4-6 guys between 21-24 are about to be chopped.

I'm sure some will. Doesn't cover the monumental odds against all our injured players being fit (i.e. very slim to none at all), or that all the veterans will all play every week and be another year older, and that anywhere between 4-6 guys between 21-24 are about to be chopped.
You are right, just hope the MC also get it right.. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This could throw up some quite pleasing reviews of the likes of Caddy, Vardy and Blicavs. :)

Already had before the injury, imho.

I thought Johnno started off 2014 pretty bloody well, and any tapering he did BEFORE the layoff was on account of him already being injured - just not enough for the MC to rest him. Was it his back? If he has a strong preseason, I'll be expecting him to be a force Rd 1 next year.

Anyway, doesn't change the fact we need 3 or 4 of the young chaps to improve out of site. Caddy is clearly the closest to that level, while I think Guthrie has the potential to get there with careful coaching. After that, I expect the most likely are those who didn't play in the finals this year. Or those we haven't yet recruited.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back