A new Dank interview

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think Asada will double dip, especially if they get a conviction on tb4. It's been a long, expensive and demanding investigation, and I'm not sure they'd be willing or able to go down that road again.

What it does tell me, though, is that they must think they have a very convincing case with tb4 if they are focusing on this substance exclusively. I remember there was a previous narrative among essendon fans (which seems to have gone quiet lately!) that asada didn't really have any evidence and that they were just throwing things against the wall to see what stuck. Well surely if they were doi g that then they would have filled the ins with as many substances as possible. The fact that they are only targeting one substance seems to indicate to me that they don't need to target more as their case is already strong enough to get a conviction. If I was an essendon fan, that kind of focused specificity would have me more worried than the presentation of a charge sheet including all the other substances we've been debating here.

I think the more likely scenario is that a win for ASADA will embolden them into looking into other clubs.

Two things

Yes - But as I have posted we could have a situation where duped players are suspended and only one official is suspended - This is unacceptable - Gee there is a walking coach IN Russia whose had 20 walkers suspended for PED used - But the coach has never been touched by WADA, ASADA or even the Russian Athletics Federation

Unless you have clearer rules around off label substances then Dank types will find a work around.

These are the two issues I want WADA to address.

I think it is an area where better governance is the solution. Organisations and sporting clubs need to have the necessary formal procedures and systems in place so that Dank types can't work unsupervised.

It is interesting he claims he and the Weapon met individually with players until they knew it all.

I do not recall Robinson making any such claim.
It's a pity we won't be hearing any more from Robinson isn't it?

How did RRR promote this interview? As infotainment? How must the interviewer feel looking down at the question sheet, seeing all the pertinent ones crossed out, and just lobbing up slam dunks for Dank.

We desperately need someone to go Robin Williams/Good Morning Vietnam, off script, off censor.

I think it is an area where better governance is the solution. Organisations and sporting clubs need to have the necessary formal procedures and systems in place so that Dank types can't work unsupervised.
Poor governance simply should not be a potential out. IMO this was the strategy taken by the AFL and Essendon, as poor governance and unclear managerial hierarchy leading to incomplete records and confusion regarding substances taken is a much better result for the AFL than having a club busted for drug cheating.

In the same way that failing to attend a drug test results in a ban, not being able to produce full drug records should also result in a full ban.

If that was the case the AFL and Essendon would never have tried to go down the governance path, and Essendon would have had their fate decided back in 2013.

Poor governance simply should not be a potential out. IMO this was the strategy taken by the AFL and Essendon, as poor governance and unclear managerial hierarchy leading to incomplete records and confusion regarding substances taken is a much better result for the AFL than having a club busted for drug cheating.

In the same way that failing to attend a drug test results in a ban, not being able to produce full drug records should also result in a full ban.

If that was the case the AFL and Essendon would never have tried to go down the governance path, and Essendon would have had their fate decided back in 2013.

I think you misunderstand. Bad governance is not an out or excuse, proper governance is an insurance it won't happen again. If it can be proven to the level of comfortable satisfaction that banned drugs were taken then no excuses. I was just thinking of the future after all this is said and done, and hope it means that every single club in Australia, and every player or athlete takes it seriously about what they take and who they consult for advice, and what records are kept etc.

Seems sad but inevitable that these things always have the be learned the hard way, in spite of education and training sessions for the players involved, if the club doesn't take the responsibility seriously.

Way to miss my point - 34 players suspended and probably one official sanctioned by ASADA - Way to go.

Way to miss my point - 34 players suspended and probably one official sanctioned by ASADA - Way to go.

I was thinking about the future.

If 34 players get banned, ASADA won't need to go any further, the internal pressure to find and weed out the other culprits within the AFL industry will take care of that.

Still think that Dank Hird and some within the Essendon football club through there own hubris still think they have done little wrong.

My uneducated take

Hird seems to have had an interest in supplements programs before he became the coach and wanted to fast track the club to catch up with the leading teams who he believed were also fairly strong in this area. The hiring of Dank and the Weapon being integral to the plan with the goal of Essendon being at the cutting edge and leader within the AFL

This would have been sold to the players who with Hird as coach they bought in well and truly (ignoring obligations to check with Asada).

I think the players and Reid at some point were getting nervous about the injection regime but by this stage Dank, Hird and co were well in truly invested in the program. Hence the Consent forms for the players and the marginalisation of Reid.

I gather at some point even they realised that they were sailing way to close to the edge and removed/ kept less detailed records of the program just in case.

I was thinking about the future.

If 34 players get banned, ASADA won't need to go any further, the internal pressure to find and weed out the other culprits within the AFL industry will take care of that.

Surely if a code signs up to the WADA it should be the dealing with officials before the AFL.

interesting that he claims the players all knew exactly what they were given yet many told ASADA they werent sure if they were given thymosin and hose that were didnt know exactly which one
So is it the foamers turn to believe Danky an believe what he said meaning that the players weren't duped and that 6 month discount is off the table, or is it the hirdites turn to believe him that the substances were legal and there is nothing to worry about?
It is so hard to keep track of

Still think that Dank Hird and some within the Essendon football club through there own hubris still think they have done little wrong.

My uneducated take

Hird seems to have had an interest in supplements programs before he became the coach and wanted to fast track the club to catch up with the leading teams who he believed were also fairly strong in this area. The hiring of Dank and the Weapon being integral to the plan with the goal of Essendon being at the cutting edge and leader within the AFL

This would have been sold to the players who with Hird as coach they bought in well and truly (ignoring obligations to check with Asada).

I think the players and Reid at some point were getting nervous about the injection regime but by this stage Dank, Hird and co were well in truly invested in the program. Hence the Consent forms for the players and the marginalisation of Reid.

I gather at some point even they realised that they were sailing way to close to the edge and removed/ kept less detailed records of the program just in case.
Agree, imagine back to 2012, listening to Danks confident bluster, having no idea what AoD, thymosin etc. were, more than a few might buy it.

the players testimonies put Dank in the s**t because they claimed they didnt know exactly what they were given. This contradicts his most recent claim. I wouldnt give any credence to anything he says and I dont think ASADA would either
The only way he can prove it is to produce one of his signed consent forms.

For me, I think this does make it more likely that the players were given illegal performance enhancing drugs (probably legal in Columbia or some other South American drug hell hole). I reckon he is close to dumping on Essendon to save his own sorry skin. I almost feel sorry for them, for being taken in by this sleazeball.
As I've said before, no sympathy for the football club, tonne of sympathy for the players. The players were sold up the creek by the person in the club they should be able to trust the most, the coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two things

Yes - But as I have posted we could have a situation where duped players are suspended and only one official is suspended - This is unacceptable - Gee there is a walking coach IN Russia whose had 20 walkers suspended for PED used - But the coach has never been touched by WADA, ASADA or even the Russian Athletics Federation

Unless you have clearer rules around off label substances then Dank types will find a work around.

These are the two issues I want WADA to address.
The first thing. The players are required to find out for themselves if what they are planning on taking is banned or not. They cannot just ask someone, like their club doctor or a sports scientist and then wipe their hands of all responsibility. They need to know first hand themselves and, if they can't be sure, then they shouldn't take it. "Duping", to me, is a player being told he will receive one thing and then is given something else completely different. Being convinced by someone "yeah, it's all right mate, no worries" is stupidity.

Your second point. An anti-drugs body is only as good as the country which set it up. ASADA won't have anything to say in Russia because ASADA is the Australian arm of WADA. Russia will have their own Drug Agency, much like Australia, but as we have seen with Jamaica (lack of testing of sprinters prior to 2012 Olympics), they are only as good as they want to be. Also, there are suggestions that the IAAF will ban the coach.

http://www.foxsports.com/olympics/s...coach-viktor-chegin-will-be-sanctioned-021615

On the 'off label substances' they have the S0 clause which prohibits the use of substances which do certain things but aren't listed as banned. It is impossible to have a system where only named products will be banned as chemists can produce new variations at the drop of a hat.

In the UK there are problems with 'legal highs' - drugs which have not been officially banned because the chemists just tweak a formula and create a new drug. The authorities can only charge people for selling drugs that they have themselves banned, so the chemists are always one step ahead. ASADA get around this kind of loophole by having a catch-all clause which bans everything which mimics certain effects.

It may be confusing for athletes, but if they are dabbling in this grey area of the law they shouldn't be surprised if they get burnt.

Way to misunderstand my post - I have posted ad nauseam about the grey areas of off label substances - Unless WADA tightens up their rules, then you'll get people line Dank finding a work around.
And Essendon,don't forget them,they thought they had found the Holy Grail.
But when Asada came a knockin nobody knew nuffin.
Hey what,jeez guys,if ya find something out we'd sure as hell like to know what it is!.
What a crock.
Dank is just reminding EFC.
The players were coached to be vague,all others including staff would have played the daft we was duped card.
Dank pops up just as insurance,to himself of course!.;)

So is it the foamers turn to believe Danky an believe what he said meaning that the players weren't duped and that 6 month discount is off the table, or is it the hirdites turn to believe him that the substances were legal and there is nothing to worry about?
It is so hard to keep track of

I think it should be obvious that no discount is available to Essendon players now, they have done the exact opposite of co-operating.

interesting that he claims the players all knew exactly what they were given yet many told ASADA they werent sure if they were given thymosin and hose that were didnt know exactly which one
People have lied to regulators before. Why put so much weight on the players side of the equation?

Not missing your point - ignoring it. I know you would like, as a fan, to be fielding a decent team etc so it's tempting to hope all players get off because they were 'duped' by one or two bad people that are no longer there. Next move - say WADA code sucks, say ASADA are doing the wrong thing. WADA provides a legislative framework for handling sport doping and ASADA work within their regulatory jurisdiction. In terms of action against officials, there are other legal mechanisms for action. Any player whose career is impacted because he was deceived has a cause of action. Did Dank gain any financial advantage? (Ie did EFC pay for good drugs and he got them bad drugs...) cause of action - go see if Vicpol are interested in following up. AFL & EFC have termination of contract at their disposal for dealing with officials. AFL can further sanction club officials. WADA isn't and was never intended to replace existing laws in however many countries. The WADA code is there to hopefully make athletes think once or even twice about what they put in their bodies and to remove the dumb-arse defence of 'but he told me to do it'!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back