Academy Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

It is interesting to see how the development of Ambrose Treacy school continues to assist the development of young footballers in Brisbane.

Worth a mention that along with Bellendan we also have Jack Clayton in the 2017 draft eligible AFL Academy intake. He is another great prospect for us and one who I will be looking forward to getting a close look at next year.

That is to go with Hipwood and Keays this year and Allison and Rolls next year. Great to see the talent coming through and rising to the top.

If by the end of decade we could have 12 of our best 18 either Queenslanders, F/S or Academy players - it'd be a major advantage against the tide that is the VFL :cool:

Rolls played as a half back at the Champs this year. He is only around the 180cm height but is a decent mover. I heard someone say he lacked pace but I remember him running down a noted speedster at one stage so I think he has enough pace to play the position. He is an elite short to medium distance kicker an can deliver fantastic worm burners into the 50 and hit the forward on the chest. He picked up a NEAFL rising star nomination earlier in the season and it is probably worth googling that and having a read. I am expecting him to move into the midfield next year and will be interesting to see how he goes. I do like him playing behind the ball though where he can really use his kicking to create goal scoring opportunities. He is an elite endurance athlete and there is some talk that he could give the beep test record a shake if he goes for it at the Combine next year.

He was a late call up to the AFL Academy for next year. At the moment I see him as a solid second round option but that could go either way as his game develops (or doesn't). He does have some elite aspects which attract teams.

Worth a mention that along with Bellendan we also have Jack Clayton in the 2017 draft eligible AFL Academy intake. He is another great prospect for us and one who I will be looking forward to getting a close look at next year.

That is to go with Hipwood and Keays this year and Allison and Rolls next year. Great to see the talent coming through and rising to the top.

Jack Clayton is definitely a reasonable chance of being picked up by the Lions via the academy, but a lot of good judges will tell you that his younger brother Max (14) is the better of the two.

Max, a midfielder, would almost certainly be the best U14 in Qld this year.

His legs seem proportionately shorter than his torso, giving him a lower centre of gravity than most talks. Suspect he'll always have superior roving skills and agility because of this. He is a very exciting prospect. The Duck is someone that comes to mind when considering talls to have had low centres of gravity, though the duck had a powerful build, Hipwood on the other hand seems to have a much leaner more athletic build. I reckon (hope) we have an excitement machine in our hands.

Best of the best kids to face-off in re-jig of under-18s

AN ALLIES team of division two prospects is set to come together to play in division one of the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships next year after the AFL restructured its national carnival.

The League will move away from its six-round home and away division one championship format to give the standout division two players more opportunities to perform against the top prospects. The draft schedule of the championships was presented to clubs on Wednesday, with the division two teams – NSW/ACT, Queensland, Northern Territory and Tasmania – set to play their carnival earlier in the year in 2016, with their three-match series slated to start in May. But a selection of players from each team will be picked to form the Allies side. The division one carnival has been trimmed to five rounds, with each side to play four games (including one against the Allies).

If the initiative was in place this year, it would have meant leading prospects like Queensland pair Ben Keays and Eric Hipwood, NSW-ACT pair Callum Mills and Jacob Hopper and Tasmanian Kieran Lovell could have faced off against the higher standard of division one teams.

In the past two years the division one under-18 championships, featuring Vic Metro, Vic Country, South Australia and Western Australia, has been run over eight weeks from the end of May to the start of July. Another change will be to the NAB All Stars Match on Grand Final morning. The curtain raiser will feature a 'best of’ game including prospects from around the country. In recent years it has been played between the NAB AFL Academy and the Allies, but in 2016 will be two hand-picked squads of the best 50 or so prospects eligible for the draft. The AFL has also moved to accommodate recruiters who are looking for more access to younger prospects after the introduction of trading future picks.

I like the concept and will allow recruiters and the Lions Academy / Allies players greater insight into their overall standing within the elite U/18 level and could elevate or decrease the value of a Allison or Rolls (that is if they're the two rated boys for next year's Lions Academy).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can the younger? Isn't it the amount of time you've lived in the zone?

Yeah, off the top of my head it's five years so the youngest should be eligible (currently under 14s).

Something along the lines of '5 continuous years immediately prior to attaining draft age' I think is the rule.
5 continuous seasons I think actually is how its being applied if GC get scheer next year

His legs seem proportionately shorter than his torso, giving him a lower centre of gravity than most talks. Suspect he'll always have superior roving skills and agility because of this. He is a very exciting prospect. The Duck is someone that comes to mind when considering talls to have had low centres of gravity, though the duck had a powerful build, Hipwood on the other hand seems to have a much leaner more athletic build. I reckon (hope) we have an excitement machine in our hands.
That's a good call. The way he carves those arcs between opponents is much closer to a Tim Notting than a Beau McDonald - which is how big he is. Crazy.

It may not translate to senior AFL. Joel Tippett had ridiculous combine testing results for leap and speed but has never really made it. Brad Moran was a freak too.

But certainly going to be fun finding out.

Isaac, younger brother of Reuben William, in there too

I think Reuben said in an interview that he thought Isaac was even better than he was, since he's had more time playing AFL? Could be Chols who said it though, cant remember.

No Shelton unfortunately.

Yeah, noticed that too. Perhaps he burnt himself out on footy - there was a few media reports from a couple of years ago how he was playing for 3 games. I think Reardo is our Darling Downs expert* - he may have some insight...

* - Being regarded by others as an expert usually means you know 1% more than everybody else :D

Something along the lines of '5 continuous years immediately prior to attaining draft age' I think is the rule.

It's hard to find anything written about the residency rule with any clarity. This article talks about the 5 years, but not the "continuous" bit:

AFL rules stipulate a player must have lived in the club's zone for five years or more to fit the criteria

Last edited:
I think Reuben said in an interview that he thought Isaac was even better than he was, since he's had more time playing AFL? Could be Chols who said it though, cant remember.

Nah it was Reuben. Said he was taller than himself and a much better footballer.

It's hard to find anything written about the residency rule with any clarity. This article talks about the 5 years, but not the "continuous" bit:

From the AFL rules:

14.4 Listing of Club Academy
(a) Player Players Eligible
Subject to Rule 14.4(d), a Club may include a Club Academy Player on its Primary List if he has been domiciled in the Club’s Academy Region for a period of 5 continuous years immediately prior to attaining draft eligibility age, unless otherwise approved by the AFL.

Whether they apply that as five seasons like fatcat mentioned above, I'm not sure, but that would make sense.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back