Academy Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Is that Woewodin son as well?
Yep. played in my son's age groups at Coorparoo until the Club started playing him up for his development.

I think Reuben said in an interview that he thought Isaac was even better than he was, since he's had more time playing AFL? Could be Chols who said it though, cant remember.
They said something similar about Trevor Chappell.

Any good? And would that mean he has a choice between Brisbane or Collingwood through F/s?
Hmm i only saw him play a couple of times and i tended to focus on my boy and his mates. He had a good reputation but i don't think it was anything outstanding. Having said that my son's team was not the A team and Woey's (Dad was p/t coach, now head coach of his team) was. Ikniw they thumped us a couple of times and we surprised them once or twice. I dont remember Jai being particulalry brilliant but as i said i tended not to pay as much attention to the opposiiton kids.

And that's presumably only if his dad is still in the Lions' employ when he becomes draft eligible, otherwise chances are he'll depart Qld with his dad and leave the academy.
I think that is most likely. Last year would have been tough for Woewodin and I was a little surprised he is still there, but i guess he was as ravaged by injuries as the seniors. Make or break year for him.

And that's presumably only if his dad is still in the Lions' employ when he becomes draft eligible, otherwise chances are he'll depart Qld with his dad and leave the academy.
If the son was a couple of years older and highly rated, it would create an interesting situation. Do you keep the old man on the books just to retain rights over the son?

If the son was a couple of years older and highly rated, it would create an interesting situation. Do you keep the old man on the books just to retain rights over the son?
I wonder about the father- son picks and there susceptibility to media and other hype. For example, Emma Quayle , one of the worst offenders in my book, did the umpteenth, predictable feature on Silvagni this week. I think he's had as much press as the rest combined, yet many wouldn't put him tn their top 100.

There was a great article,for a change , on Mabior Chol, in today's Sunday Age.

There was speculation about Collingwood recruiting Jason and Cameron Cloke to keep the family happy, a ploy to help secure Travis.

Same as the players who played around the 90 games, do you feed them a few games to cover the potential father sons requirement. If the Lambert boys are as good as people say, I'm all for getting Craig in the preseason and fattening him up by 4 games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There was speculation about Collingwood recruiting Jason and Cameron Cloke to keep the family happy, a ploy to help secure Travis.

Same as the players who played around the 90 games, do you feed them a few games to cover the potential father sons requirement. If the Lambert boys are as good as people say, I'm all for getting Craig in the preseason and fattening him up by 4 games.

Most people in the industry know this to be true. They took Cameron purely to secure Travis. The old man(David) was very stubborn on the matter and basically told them they weren't getting Travis without taking Cameron.

I admit to looking at our list and who was close to 100 just to think if there was value in getting them over the line

Not sure that getting a young Lambert or Woewodin through the academy would actually be a good thing. It's already becoming a hard enough sell, without the added ammunition of us taking young players with "pedigree" just to gain priority access to them.

Not sure that getting a young Lambert or Woewodin through the academy would actually be a good thing. It's already becoming a hard enough sell, without the added ammunition of us taking young players with "pedigree" just to gain priority access to them.

I've watched young Woewodin play a few times, he's only 12 but at the moment I certainly wouldn't be too worried about him slipping through our fingers on eligibility grounds - there's plenty of better kids that age in the academy.

No doubt I'll get to see plenty of Bodey Lambert next year, and I'll post my thoughts on him if he looks promising.

That's a good call. The way he carves those arcs between opponents is much closer to a Tim Notting than a Beau McDonald - which is how big he is. Crazy.

It may not translate to senior AFL. Joel Tippett had ridiculous combine testing results for leap and speed but has never really made it. Brad Moran was a freak too.

But certainly going to be fun finding out.

Some blokes test amazingly well but you don't see it in game. Joel Tippett didn't look that quick. Hipwood has demonstrated on occasions he has good agility, reasonable speed and ability to run and carry. I'm much more confident of his traits translating into games.

Some blokes test amazingly well but you don't see it in game. Joel Tippett didn't look that quick. Hipwood has demonstrated on occasions he has good agility, reasonable speed and ability to run and carry. I'm much more confident of his traits translating into games.
Me too though I'm trying to keep my expectations in check. It's easy to get giddy considering a kid with Eric's raw physical gifts.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong:
Picks 38,39,40,41 & 42 add up to 2147 points.
If one of Hipwood or Keays gets nominated at 9 & the other is nominated at 12, those points add up to 2189 points (accounting for the 20% academy discount we have) This leaves us a deficit of 42 points going into the 2016 draft.

If one of Hipwood or Keays gets nominated at 9 & the other is nominated at 12, those points add up to 2189 points (accounting for the 20% academy discount we have) This leaves us a deficit of 42 points going into the 2016 draft.

As other academy sides use multiple picks to match bids those later picks will move up the order and therefore become more valuable.

Purely based on that example, before considering the change in picks as other academy players are taken, matching the bid at 9 will push 38 and 39 to the end of the draft, and 40 will also be pushed back to the 50's. This will move pick 41 and 42 up to 39 and 40, which nets us another 68 points (along with the 40 that was pushed back) and gives us enough to cover the bid at pick 12.

I have been looking at how possible nightmare situations (or even just bad dream ones) might leave us in a points deficit for the 2016 draft and how carrying over various deficits could affect our original first round pick next year.

Figuring that Hopper and Mills should be bid on before our boys,I have worked on our bloc of picks moving up 2 places to be 36 to 40 with an amended total value of 2325 points.

If we need to use picks 8 and 10 to secure both of our lads (pick 9 would be used by the club that bid at pick 8 on one of them),we would under this scenario have a deficit of 32 points which would be deducted from the points rating of our original (I think) first round pick for the 2016 draft to determine if an adjustment would be made to the selection order - after that we are home free in this example.

I have calculated how each situation between 3 and 5 through to 8 and 10 being used this year would affect us next year - It soon becomes obvious that where we finish on the ladder in 2016 would be a major influence on an amendment to our original draft position next year caused by any points debt accrued this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back