Adelaide alleged to have signed Betts 18 months before he left Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

It'll blow over. 'Stitched Up' is vague enough to let Trigg off the hook, it could mean any number of types of discussions that aren't against the rules.

I doubt the AFL has the appetite to pursue this very hard given there are doping cases going against players from about five different clubs (counting the WADA appeal against EFC players that have moved on) - the AFL will be doing enough image spin control for the next six months as it is. Unless of course, as someone said upthread, someone involved was dumb enough to leave written, incontrovertible evidence of the deal.

I'd have Betts in the same category as those players you mentioned. My guess is you only rate him less than those players because he's not on Carlton's list anymore.

I also totally disagree with you on his tackling and work rate. I've seen him take down guys way bigger than himself and he's one of the few forwards we have whose actually capable of running a player down and forcing a turnover. I can't comment on his time at the Blues but he regularly puts his body on the line at Adelaide and certainly doesn't pick and choose his battles. He also plays well above his height and is better at taking a grab than most of our forward line, smalls & talls included.

Carlton we're mad not to at least match the offer and fight to keep him there.

Nice of you to make that assumption but if you read my post correctly, you would comprehend I grouped him with those players as well; just not at the top of that pile like you are suggesting. So... would you trade out Betts before your the core of your midfield/KPP stocks?

He is definitely fitter at the Crows than he was at Carlton but I am commenting on his time at Carlton; he definitely only did the hard yards when he felt like it.

The decision to let him go home was the correct one by itself, but once we committed to taking Thomas; that's obviously where we stuffed up, i.e. we should have taken the compo pick.

Yeah not much to be better than in that list...:$
And they will remain the core of your team :$

I wonder what your opinion was on Betts was around the time he moved to the Crows...

Do guys really think at 27 year old small forward will make that much of a difference?
Not to rain on your parade but I just cannot see it? Care to explain (in all seriousness not being a trolling smart ass).

Meh. He's OK, poaches a lot of goals. Not worth what the Crows are paying him. $500,000+

Trade one or both of Betts and Yarran and use the pick to get a quality hard at it Midfielder

... But now you're saying he was our best player ahead of dual brownlow medalists, AFLCA award winners and B&F's. :$:$:$

I agree though, he is better than Daisy Thomas.

So you would have Betts over the 5 I mentioned? Again, it's not a slight on Betts as they are all great players. I watched Betts very closely for years and have very good memories of him for Carlton but the one knock I have on him is he is picks and chooses when he applies defensive pressure and his tackling is pretty average.

Do you mean he was allowed to get away with picking and choosing when he applied defensive pressure?

I don't see that in his time at Adelaide.

Typical vindictive and calculated dog act by Malthouse to attempt to throw Trigg under the bus. There is no limit to his malice when he doesn't get his way. Can't understand the gullibility of those who fall ( again ) for the " poor Mick " pantomine. If you were to believe some people he is the new Mother Mary McKillop, and should be in line for canonisation as Australia's 2nd Saint.

Trigg and Carlton's board are far from perfect. However I reckon they are acting in good faith and what they believe to be the best interests of the Carlton Football Club. Malthouse, on the other hand has acted and behaved in a manner designed to further the best interests of................Mick Malthouse.

# Stand by Trigg.
# Stand by loguidice.

Unless of course, as someone said upthread, someone involved was dumb enough to leave written, incontrovertible evidence of the deal.

Stephen Aloysius Trigg is stupid enough to leave written evidence too.

But surely all we need to do is to use the Essendon Get Out of Jail Free card and grab a shredder from Officeworks.

"Records, Gil? Sorry mate, nothing here."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Betts rumoured to have signed before allowed (despite it not being possible as a RFA) and the AFL want to look into it.

Phil Davis announces that he's signed with GWS mid season... *crickets*.

GAGF AFL.
Also noticed no investigation into Buddy's conversations with Sydney 12 months before he officially signed. This will of blown over before Carlton take to the ground on Friday night.

Unlike Bomber fans I don't mindlessly worship at the feet of our club's coach. I'm not a brain dead zombie, and can actually evaluate and think for myself. Coaches are after all mere mortals. Malthouse had plenty of able assistants in 2010, but naturally he got the glory.

Malthouse certainly proved his true colours from mid 2011 onwards with his destructive, malicious behavIour, which he has repeated recently at the Blues.

I don't hate him, but I despise him for the hypocrite he is. Just as I despise James Hird for his hypocrisy.
Just keep telling yourself that mate. One day you might even believe it.

Nice of you to make that assumption but if you read my post correctly, you would comprehend I grouped him with those players as well; just not at the top of that pile like you are suggesting. So... would you trade out Betts before your the core of your midfield/KPP stocks?

He is definitely fitter at the Crows than he was at Carlton but I am commenting on his time at Carlton; he definitely only did the hard yards when he felt like it.

The decision to let him go home was the correct one by itself, but once we committed to taking Thomas; that's obviously where we stuffed up, i.e. we should have taken the compo pick.

Where did I say Betts is at the top of the pile? I was only saying he's an elite player at the club. You we're the one making claims that "he's a cherry on top" type and not as important as our core group of players. You make this claim based on what you saw when he played for Carlton. Can you see what the problem is here? :rolleyes:

Betts is clearly a better player at Adelaide than he ever was at Carlton. He was good/flashy at Carlton, but he has gone to a new level now.
Disagree, eddie has always had starts to the year like this and then he goes off for a month and the average comes back down.

His year of 2014 was no different to 3/4 seasons he has had at Carlton

Betts rumoured to have signed before allowed (despite it not being possible as a RFA) and the AFL want to look into it.

Phil Davis announces that he's signed with GWS mid season... *crickets*.

GAGF AFL.

Sorry, but this is a fairly silly statement. Phil Davis announced that he was moving to GWS in August - totally within the rules, nothing to hide. You are allowed to make a decision and tell people about it as long as you don't actually sign. Now, if Phil and GWS had broken the rules and he had signed, do you reckon he goes and announces it to the media? I think not. With Betts, the allegation is that he had actually signed some kind of deal 18 months before it was official. I doubt he did, but in Trigg we're talking about someone with form in that area and ultimately when an allegation like that is made, the AFL really have no choice but to say that they will look at it.

There was no suggestion that any rules had been broken with Phil Davis. No reason to come out and say they are looking at it. I can see why you would be bitter about losing Davis, Tippet, Gunston and so forth but to try to suggest some kind of double standard on the AFL's part here is just silly and baseless.

Disagree, eddie has always had starts to the year like this and then he goes off for a month and the average comes back down.

His year of 2014 was no different to 3/4 seasons he has had at Carlton

I guess your club just doesn't rate a 50 goal season.

There was no suggestion that any rules had been broken with Phil Davis. No reason to come out and say they are looking at it. I can see why you would be bitter about losing Davis, Tippet, Gunston and so forth but to try to suggest some kind of double standard on the AFL's part here is just silly and baseless.

Phil is actually still highly regarded by many of the Adelaide supporters around here because he was honest about his intentions and didn't totally screw the Crows to a wall. Wish there we're more in the industry like him.

Last edited:
Yeah and the Blues let him stroll out the door.
He had made up his mind 18 months earlier that he was going home, his football during that period was negatively effected. There was very little sense to matching your offer to keep a homesick player, I very much doubt he would have returned to the level he has if we had forced him to stay.

Its the same story you trott out with jacobs, I was pissed off you stole him but we couldn't match the cash offer and the temptation of home.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back