News Adelaide Crows sign Darren Glass

Remove this Banner Ad

disappointing.is it selfish of me to not like our former players linking up with other clubs after their playing careers have finished? maybe it is,but I just don't like it,especially a club great like glassy.Glassy is west coast through and through.

disappointing.is it selfish of me to not like our former players linking up with other clubs after their playing careers have finished? maybe it is,but I just don't like it,especially a club great like glassy.Glassy is west coast through and through.
Maybe it is. But then again I though, why the * did it have to be the crowbots.

If glass is serious about coaching long term then it's a good idea for him to move away from the club he's spent his career at so he can broaden his experience in a new environment. I'm struggling to think of a premiership coach, certainly in recent times, that played and coached at the same club other than worsfold who still spent some time coaching elsewhere as an assistant.

From a club point of view it's nice to provide a pathway for ex-players into coaching but if you have too many it can lead to stagnation and a lack of fresh ideas that can be brought by someone with a new perspective. We have selwood, Nicoski and now cox there already in some capacity so another in glass borders on too many

He did some coaching down with the Wesley 1st XVIII this year (I worked underneath him in some drills), and I really liked the way he went about it. His explanation of what the drills are for and what he expects is great. I definitely thought this would be the path he would follow after his playing career ended.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Port board referring to Glass as a sniper after that one hit on Wingard, they're a clueless bunch.

Well until recently Ryder was a drug cheat over there

Could be a good senior coach one day, certainly was a great leader on the field. Probably more of a prospect than Coxy.
from a purely outsiders perspective I'm not sure if he has that campaigner to be a successful senior coach. the teaching role is great for assistants but you need a hard nosed campaigner sided edge as a head coach.

from a purely outsiders perspective I'm not sure if he has that campaigner to be a successful senior coach. the teaching role is great for assistants but you need a hard nosed campaigner sided edge as a head coach.

Having never met the bloke, I agree.

However do you think maybe the softly-spoken, polite Glass we see giving interviews would be the same Glass when speaking to the playing group in private?

As I said I've never met him so I have no idea, but perhaps he is a bit harder edged when the cameras are switched off.

Probably a good move from Darren's POV. Get some coaching experience away from where he is used to. Who knows, he might come back to us in the future.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back