Travel Adelaide - is it as bad as many people say?

Remove this Banner Ad

Muffo

Club Legend
Jan 21, 2005
Gippsland
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm heading to Adelaide next month for a few days and am wondering why so many people say it's a hole? What's so bad about it?

Is it more "Badelaide", or "Radelaide".

There is nothing wrong with it whatsoever. Ever been to Perth? It's like that, but smaller. I'm sure you could find enough to occupy yourself with for a few days.

The 'problem' is that being a smaller city, everything in Adelaide that's there is done bigger in Sydney/Melbourne, except for special events like the Festivals etc. So SA gets looked down on. It's still a nice city, IMO. It also lacks iconic things like the MCG, Sydney Harbour Bridge, Opera House, etc.

The best stuff is not in Adelaide but just outside though...Barossa, Clare, Hahndorf, Victor Harbor, etc.

What are you looking to do while you're there? (Will be 'here' by next month.)

It's bad if you are young and spend the whole week farting around on excursions/other meaningless bullshit meant for people who were around to see the extinction of dinosaurs while ignoring the throngs of grade-A snatch begging for it all over the city.

Otherwise it's fine.

Adelaide water... to thick to drink.. to thin to plough

Oh, I did laugh at that one.

Sorry, LOL......

And may I reintroduce the spectre of the parmi/parma schism.

Weirdest city I've ever lived in.
David Lynch's wet dream.

Pluses:
- Pie floaters
- Coopers
- Choice buds
- McLaren Vale
- Semaphore Workers Club

Minuses:
- Shit accent (it's castle NOT caarstle)
- Women named Karen, calling themselves caaaar-en)
- The Family
- Zombie-like meth-heads in Hackham West
- Sharks
- West End
- The crows
- Ugly dudes with hot women

There is nothing wrong with Adelaide water.

You get a lot of your supply from the lower murray (Renwick, Murray Bridge area) which is extremely salty from all the irrigation run off into the river :eek:

Other than that, i havnt minded my stays, liked the glenelg area a lot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually get the impression it wouldn't be a bad place to raise a family. Big enough to have the amenities but not big enough to have serious traffic and crime problems.

Not a great place for nightlife and the like though. Spent a summer working there not long out of school and by the end of it I was ready to leave. Rather provincial.

I actually get the impression it wouldn't be a bad place to raise a family. Big enough to have the amenities but not big enough to have serious traffic and crime problems.

False. Adelaide is the MURDER CAPITAL OF THE WORLD!1!~~!!@!. Some crazy English documentary maker told me this one time and it's totally not hyperbole.

PS. Adelaide's fine. Woke up there once, seemed nice.

Given you're most likely to be murdered by friends/family, it's not really one of those crimes where the statistics bother me. I'm more interested in stuff like burglary, robbery, theft, assault rates when picking somewhere to live.

Not a great place for nightlife and the like though. Spent a summer working there not long out of school and by the end of it I was ready to leave. Rather provincial.
This is generally what I tell people. If you're past the 'let's go out and get hammered every weekend' stage it's a pretty good place. But if you want to party all night every weekend, this isn't the city for you.

Since I grew up in Adelaide and all my friends are there I don't find it boring, but I can see how someone moving from a much larger city might think so.

Honestly, what the **** happens in adelaide. Wasted two days of my life skulking round the shithole realising that nothing ever happens there. Never again

Same as Perth, but smaller and quieter, much worse public transport, not as much quality infrastructure, not as good beaches (but not too shabby either), not as many obnoxious CUBs and douchebags, better shopping and nightlife (but not in the same league as Sydney and Melbourne), better food and pubs and better markets and festivals.

It's an excellent place to live if you are a retiree or want a simple life surrounded by family.

Adelaide water... to thick to drink.. to thin to plough
ahh martin malloy, i miss you :(

fwiw, adelaides not the shithole it's cracked up to be, just don't venture out north and you'll be fine

Honestly, what the **** happens in adelaide. Wasted two days of my life skulking round the shithole realising that nothing ever happens there. Never again
What were you expecting to happen?:confused:

I mean, I spent a day wandering around Melbourne and nothing happened. What a dud place.

Given you're most likely to be murdered by friends/family, it's not really one of those crimes where the statistics bother me. I'm more interested in stuff like burglary, robbery, theft, assault rates when picking somewhere to live.

Adelaide is full of serial killers though, they don't care who they kill. ;)

Actually I like Adelaide, maybe not the most exciting place in the world but it's a nice place.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back