Is a TV an essential item?

Remove this Banner Ad

e45350266de0edd5b14eb8523f20156b.gif
so true Joey.

Just random chairs pointing in all directions

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

So is it essential to be able to watch shows, be it on the TV or the net?
This is what I assumed the question was and I would say in modern society, the answer would be yes. Internet access has been recognised as a human right in the developed world by the UN's Special Rapporteur. Could you live without one? Sure, you could read, listen to music, entertain yourself in many different ways but lack of access would leave you socially isolated in a significant way.

I missed watching the 2014 GF because I had Foxtel installed and somehow my tv wasn't allowing me to watch any FTA channels which I didn't realise until just before the game began. I thought about going to the pub to watch it but by the time I thought about that the game was pretty much over so didn't bother.
So mid way through the first quarter then?

I could live without a tv easy enough but that is predicated on having a reliable internet connection to stream.

When I bought my house I wasn't going to bother getting a proper tv but the previous owners had made a hell of a mess to the loungeroom wall fixing their tv to it so I just bought a $500 Hisense tv on sale to cover it up.

I watch a bit of footy on it and that is about it.

Is a TV an essential item? Could a person live comfortably without one? Or would it be cruel and unusual to expect them to do so?
I've considered a break from tech for multiple reasons. Emails are commonplace, as is communication but TV is not an essential item and one could comfortably live without one. For me it would be an opportunity to read more of my books, learn my guitar, exercise, go on walks, hikes.

So mid way through the first quarter then?
I switched it off in the first quarter. When Hawkins grabbed the ball from a boundary thrown in and goaled, as easy you like, I knew it was all over.

Last edited:
I switched it off in the first quarter. When Hawkins grabbed the ball from a boundary thrown in and goaled, as easy you like, I knew it was all over.
He was originally talking about the 2014, but there are so many parallels between the two GFs you could replace 'hawkins' and 'a boundary throw in' with a bunch of other players/situations and use them interchangeably.

Unfortunately for swans fans.

Depends on your definition of a TV.

I have a large LED screen on the wall that streams from multiple sources that I use to watch movies, sport, TV shows and surf the net. Traditionally this would be called a television. I do the same on my handheld device called a mobile telephone. Are they both TVs or are neither TVs, as they do the same thing.

I would say owning a TV has ceased to be essential, but having personal access to the internet is. You can't meaningfully participate in adult working and social life without it. Retirees are a different story, but most retirees I know use the net at least sometimes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would say owning a TV has ceased to be essential, but having personal access to the internet is. You can't meaningfully participate in adult working and social life without it. Retirees are a different story, but most retirees I know use the net at least sometimes.
Most retirees would have been in their fifties when Internet usage started to take off, the days of the grey haired old dodderer being clueless about technology are over now I'd say.

Most retirees would have been in their fifties when Internet usage started to take off, the days of the grey haired old dodderer being clueless about technology are over now I'd say.
I work for a company where one of our main target demographics are retired pensioners with money to spend. The amount of issues some of our users have going through basic tech assist with the app is mind boggling.
"I'm not connected to the internet, I'm just connected to the app through the phone." "I don't know how to delete the app, I will have to get my grandson to do it." "How do I get back to the app, all I can see is the number for the phone." "The app doesn't log in my automatically anymore, can you log me in from your end." "I don't want to change my password, I have had this for years." "Something is wrong on your end of the app, it says there is network issue."
I've seen these issues from users in their 40s as well

Remove this Banner Ad

Back