Adrian Dodoro: Football’s Biggest Fraud IMO

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right so you want to give him credit and celebrate when we're 6-5.

Besides isn't the argument for keeping Dodoro is that RFK is doing the recruitment now so doesn't he get credit for those? Or does Dodoro only not do the recruiting when we lose?
The Carlton supporters are very quiet.

2023 represents the first time in over a decade where Essendon is seemingly free of being gripped and distracted by a crisis of some form.

The new management and implementation of external review paved the way for solutions to be found in areas of failure throughout the last decade, starting with the clubs culture and evidenced by review of standards across the club abd holding stakeholders accountable to required standards of a high performance culture. In Scott and Merrett were seeing noticeable signs of progress at this higher level of club performance.

We’re now seeing the fruits of the development focus to convert talent to success at AFL level: Durham, Martin, Hobbs, Caldwell, Draper, BZT the most notable.

Now it’s time for the fitness & conditioning area to be overhauled and sorted out. A plan is now in place which is promising.

The talent is there. It’s now up to development and conditioning to see a talented young list ride out the certain ups and downs before it emerges capable of winning finals. Assuming the club environment is taken care of, rounding out remaining list holes to ensure balance is the work ahead over the next 24-36 months.

Carlton. Like Essendon, a club held down by broader systemic failure. A club with Cripps, Walsh, Curnow, McKay, Weitering, De Koning coming through should be playing finals in 2023. That it’s not points to wider issues if ckub environment still not functioning at required level. Is it coaching (tactics / game plan)? Is the Football Manager any good? Is TPP structure and list balance? Is it culture and highlighting a President under pressure highlighting cultural issues? I don’t know. However it needs to fix the total club to enable the team to flourish.

How do bombers fans feel about the list?

On one hand it's still a list in finals contention...

On the other, it almost lost to wce.
Hey. They beat North who The Nostradamus said would be the 2023 version of 2022 Collingwood.

Don’t think finals contention means much to our current team/list.

I fear that we are on track to repeat the cycle of mid table finishes by playing guys like Kelly, Laverde, Heppell when there are young guys with potential in the seconds.

Our top end is my biggest issue, we have enough B graders and foot soldiers now, we need the Cripps, Curnow and Weitering, or the Daicos, De Goey, Moore, Oliver, Petracca, Gawn.

Those pieces are the hardest to find so who knows where the current list is, perhaps Reid, Tsatas and Perkins/Hobbs explode and take us up a level.

Our top end is my biggest issue, we have enough B graders and foot soldiers now, we need the Cripps, Curnow and Weitering, or the Daicos, De Goey, Moore, Oliver, Petracca, Gawn.

Those pieces are the hardest to find so who knows where the current list is, perhaps Reid, Tsatas and Perkins/Hobbs explode and take us up a level.
We lack impact players.

Zach is elite as a leader and generally as a mid, but he's not the biggest goal kicker or moment creator (i.e. like Bont, Tracc, JDG).
Ridley is an elite back and distributor from the backline, and Langford has really taken another step as a goal route.

I'd say two things have stung this year;
1) Setterfield. He's no gun, but when he was in he gave the rest of the midfield the foundation to play their game. Then we lost him, parish and shiel and had to go to plan b midfield pretty quick. and they largely stood up, but when Parish was back that space creator was still gone. Plus Draper.
Highlighted we lack those blocking mids and our ruck depth wasn't the best.

2) Wright. Which also showed up a lack of KPF depth.

Sans an absolute star game changer player - i.e. a Bont, Tracc, etc. - our depth doesn't cover us.

We lack impact players.

Zach is elite as a leader and generally as a mid, but he's not the biggest goal kicker or moment creator (i.e. like Bont, Tracc, JDG).
Ridley is an elite back and distributor from the backline, and Langford has really taken another step as a goal route.

I'd say two things have stung this year;
1) Setterfield. He's no gun, but when he was in he gave the rest of the midfield the foundation to play their game. Then we lost him, parish and shiel and had to go to plan b midfield pretty quick. and they largely stood up, but when Parish was back that space creator was still gone. Plus Draper.
Highlighted we lack those blocking mids and our ruck depth wasn't the best.

2) Wright. Which also showed up a lack of KPF depth.

Sans an absolute star game changer player - i.e. a Bont, Tracc, etc. - our depth doesn't cover us.
100% agree with Setterfield. Despite being a flawed player, his strength and size is/was the missing piece to your midfield. If he returns it could change the dynamic again for the team.

From an outsider's view - Dodo has always been able to find value in guys like Setterfield and Hind. Just doesn't seem to hit the superstars from his first round picks.

100% agree with Setterfield. Despite being a flawed player, his strength and size is/was the missing piece to your midfield. If he returns it could change the dynamic again for the team.

From an outsider's view - Dodo has always been able to find value in guys like Setterfield and Hind. Just doesn't seem to hit the superstars from his first round picks.

There is a ton of luck in hitting on superstars outside of your stand out top 2-3 picks.

That’s where the McGrath pick and the decision making around it needs to be heavily scrutinised.

There is a ton of luck in hitting on superstars outside of your stand out top 2-3 picks.

That’s where the McGrath pick and the decision making around it needs to be heavily scrutinised.
Luck is a factor, yes. Look at Fyfe and Freo as one example.

I'd argue though, that after 20 years (or however Dodoro has been at the club), he ought to have more hits than he has. Other than Merrett, has he actually drafted a superstar?

The selections of Martin? The selection of Hobbs? the selection of Durham?

I'll give him credit where it's due, my point was that whilst the dumpster fire that is Carlton FC continues, this thread remains quiet

[note. I think he has done an ok job, after 25 years, its enough of a sample size to go, enough is enough and get him and his views/ways out of the club]

Can we boot it up again?

I'd argue though, that after 20 years (or however Dodoro has been at the club), he ought to have more hits than he has. Other than Merrett, has he actually drafted a superstar?

Yeah for sure Dodoro’s record is below average to average at drafting “superstars”. Just given that outside of the top couple of picks superstar is so luck based it’s hard hang him for that imo.

I want Dodoro sacked from Essendon for a whole host of reasons but our poor record drafting superstars is fair way down the list.

Can we boot it up again?
scary poltergeist GIF

I like how Dodoro has filled out the list with Wright, Setterfield, Martin, Durham type value picks but his first rounders leave a lot to be desired.

Struggles to identify the best 18 year olds but for some reason can find an undervalued mature ager. A good and bad thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You'd need to define the bar for superstar.

remove Daniher/Watson (father/son, no choice), i'd say 3 in his time.
Merrett - as you say. As elite a mid as you can hope for.
Ridley - as an intercept defender/rebound kick there's few in the comp as good.
Parish - disposal aside, he's an elite clearance mid. With a balanced midfield he's a gun. Our early season with Setterfield had him back to AA form. His '21 AA form was on the back of Stringer playing the big inside mid role to an elite level.
Maybe a 4th as i have peak Tippa as one of the best smalls in the game.

You can stretch to 7 if you use AA as a bar & add Heppell, Hurley & Hooker to the list.

Talent spotting isn't his issue imo
It's list strategy. It's not very identifiable, and i wonder how much is a self-perpetuating cycle. We draft best available because we're always picking top 10, but we never get out of that range because we can't progress in finals because the list isn't setup for it.

You know the hurt is real with this level of deflection.
With Dodoro? Hahahaha. I've wanted him gone for longer than this threads existed, it's a source of amusement for me now.

I like how Dodoro has filled out the list with Wright, Setterfield, Martin, Durham type value picks but his first rounders leave a lot to be desired.

Struggles to identify the best 18 year olds but for some reason can find an undervalued mature ager. A good and bad thing.
Dodoro is good at picking AFL standard guys, it's why we finish mid table so often, he can't pick the top line difference makers.

Don't worry they have $800k to pay for Ben McKay.

The Carlton supporters are very quiet.

2023 represents the first time in over a decade where Essendon is seemingly free of being gripped and distracted by a crisis of some form.

The new management and implementation of external review paved the way for solutions to be found in areas of failure throughout the last decade, starting with the clubs culture and evidenced by review of standards across the club abd holding stakeholders accountable to required standards of a high performance culture. In Scott and Merrett were seeing noticeable signs of progress at this higher level of club performance.

We’re now seeing the fruits of the development focus to convert talent to success at AFL level: Durham, Martin, Hobbs, Caldwell, Draper, BZT the most notable.

Now it’s time for the fitness & conditioning area to be overhauled and sorted out. A plan is now in place which is promising.

The talent is there. It’s now up to development and conditioning to see a talented young list ride out the certain ups and downs before it emerges capable of winning finals. Assuming the club environment is taken care of, rounding out remaining list holes to ensure balance is the work ahead over the next 24-36 months.

Carlton. Like Essendon, a club held down by broader systemic failure. A club with Cripps, Walsh, Curnow, McKay, Weitering, De Koning coming through should be playing finals in 2023. That it’s not points to wider issues if ckub environment still not functioning at required level. Is it coaching (tactics / game plan)? Is the Football Manager any good? Is TPP structure and list balance? Is it culture and highlighting a President under pressure highlighting cultural issues? I don’t know. However it needs to fix the total club to enable the team to flourish.
I am Carlton and proud, the key difference is we have not sat back and accepted such mediocrity.

When Dodo was in charge of recruiting at Essendon, his first picks in each draft.

00 - James Davies
01 - Shane Harvey
02- Jason Laycock
03- Kepler Bradley
04- Angus Monfries
05- Patrick Ryder :thumbsupemoji:
06- Scott Gumbleton
07 - David Myers
08 - Michael Hurley :thumbsupemoji:
09 - Jake Melksham
10 - Dyson Heppell :thumbsupemoji:
11 - Elliott Kavanagh
12 - Joe Daniher - Father son so not even Dodo could fck that up..

What did the brainiacs at Essendon do as a result of such abject failure. They promote Dodo to head of List Management, wheer he has overseen a list that seems completely unbalanced, has not recruited any key backs to replace Hurley or a key forward to replace Joe Daniher... Yet he still remains and has outlived Sheedy, Knights, Hird, Thompson, Worsfold & Rutten..

I am Carlton and proud, the key difference is we have not sat back and accepted such mediocrity.

When Dodo was in charge of recruiting at Essendon, his first picks in each draft.

00 - James Davies
01 - Shane Harvey
02- Jason Laycock
03- Kepler Bradley
04- Angus Monfries
05- Patrick Ryder :thumbsupemoji:
06- Scott Gumbleton
07 - David Myers
08 - Michael Hurley :thumbsupemoji:
09 - Jake Melksham
10 - Dyson Heppell :thumbsupemoji:
11 - Elliott Kavanagh
12 - Joe Daniher - Father son so not even Dodo could fck that up..

What did the brainiacs at Essendon do as a result of such abject failure. They promote Dodo to head of List Management, wheer he has overseen a list that seems completely unbalanced, has not recruited any key backs to replace Hurley or a key forward to replace Joe Daniher... Yet he still remains and has outlived Sheedy, Knights, Hird, Thompson, Worsfold & Rutten..

Agree wholeheartedly that Dodoro has had more than enough time and a fresh vision is needed.

Carlton not accepting mediocrity is a bit of a joke though. Carlton for the vast majority of Dodoro’s time at the helm haven’t been able to achieve mediocrity let alone have the option of rejecting it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back