Preview AFL 2018 - Finals Week 1

Remove this Banner Ad

You picked up 20 per cent in 2 games. You had an inferior percentage than ours before the freo game, don't make it out like you have been super dominant in your wins all year. You were a Melbourne not choking twice away from missing out all together. Keep telling yourself your better than us.
You were a Geelong not choking twice away from swapping positions with us. Get real mate. Squiggle has us above you for a reason. Our % jumped because our Points against all year has been superior. We had double ups against Melbourne, you, Richmond, Gold Coast and Sydney. Arguably the hardest double ups in the league, Won 5 Lost 5, and our % is still the 2nd best in the comp. If we win the two games v Hawks we are 3rd and you're 8th.

You picked up 20 per cent in 2 games. You had an inferior percentage than ours before the freo game, don't make it out like you have been super dominant in your wins all year. You were a Melbourne not choking twice away from missing out all together. Keep telling yourself your better than us.

Cats got lucky in the season's equivalent of junk time in terms of their %.... a couple of loser clubs who'd already started their pre-season trips not wanting to venture down to GMHBAHSJDHSHDGD. Freo and GCS had checked out. They were training drills, not football matches.

You were a Geelong not choking twice away from swapping positions with us. Get real mate. Squiggle has us above you for a reason. Our % jumped because our Points against all year has been superior. We had double ups against Melbourne, you, Richmond, Gold Coast and Sydney. Arguably the hardest double ups in the league, Won 5 Lost 5, and our % is still the 2nd best in the comp. If we win the two games v Hawks we are 3rd and you're 8th.

We outplayed the Cats twice and reasonably well. Cats didn't choke those games.... the scoerboard flattered them because we nearly choked. Just the standard Hawks-Cats games where the scoreboard tends to close up at the end. Make no mistake though, the Hawks were the better team on both occassions.

We outplayed the Cats twice and reasonably well. Cats didn't choke those games.... the scoerboard flattered them because we nearly choked. Just the standard Hawks-Cats games where the scoreboard tends to close up at the end. Make no mistake though, the Hawks were the better team on both occassions.
Mmhmm.

Game 1: 117-118. Roughead takes an easy mark out the back after a mismatch on Zac Guthrie to kick the winning goal with seconds to go
Game 2: Geelong dominate the 1st Q (Cats by 12 but should have bee more), lose their only ruckman, get shredded in the 2nd Q (Hawks by 20, but should've been more) and after half time the game is relatively even (Hawks by 11, we clawed back 1.5 goals over 2Q)

These two games are just as winnable for Geelong as the two Melbourne games were for Melbourne. Not too many ifs for Geelong to win either game. I back us in big time against your mob, especially if you just lose to Richmond

Mmhmm.

Game 1: 117-118. Roughead takes an easy mark out the back after a mismatch on Zac Guthrie to kick the winning goal with seconds to go
Game 2: Geelong dominate the 1st Q (Cats by 12 but should have bee more), lose their only ruckman, get shredded in the 2nd Q (Hawks by 20, but should've been more) and after half time the game is relatively even (Hawks by 11, we clawed back 1.5 goals over 2Q)

These two games are just as winnable for Geelong as the two Melbourne games were for Melbourne. Not too many ifs for Geelong to win either game. I back us in big time against your mob, especially if you just lose to Richmond

Yes ....they could have stolen them at the end. However you suggested it was 2 Cats chokes from a swap of ladder positions. Incorrect. The Hawks had the better of both those games, particularly the first.

Yes ....they could have stolen them at the end. However you suggested it was 2 Cats chokes from a swap of ladder positions. Incorrect. The Hawks had the better of both those games, particularly the first.
I suggested that Geelong was to Hawthorn, what Melbourne was to Geelong. If that wasn't clear I send my deepest of apologies. To suggest that Geelong wasn't a chance in either game was false. Easter Monday was a genuine 50/50 game, neither side choked, just that Hawthorn was up on the bell. The 2nd game was lost at the selection table, and I don't believe we'd make the same mistake twice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mmhmm.

Considering you were almost 5 goals down and won with a kick after the siren because Melbourne fell apart structurally at the death that would define choking. How you consider you guys getting close twice after we had built up big leads and than proceeded to choke as the same thing is humorous. Delusional mate just like your clubs flag chances.

I suggested that Geelong was to Hawthorn, what Melbourne was to Geelong. If that wasn't clear I send my deepest of apologies. To suggest that Geelong wasn't a chance in either game was false. Easter Monday was a genuine 50/50 game, neither side choked, just that Hawthorn was up on the bell. The 2nd game was lost at the selection table, and I don't believe we'd make the same mistake twice.

I never suggested they weren't a chance. I said the Hawks had the better of the games. Cats came back from 4+ goals in both last quarters as seemed to be their thing this year. Hawks had been the better team over the course of both games but as so often happens in our matches.....and in Geelong matches in general this year, they nearly got a winning run on at the end. My recollection of the Melbourne games were they had the better of the matches too but weren't able to hold you out (however I'm not as definitive with that as I don't recall the non-Hawks match as closely).

upload_2018-8-29_11-59-42.png

Anyway, Cats and Dees will be an interesting match after those 2 battles earlier in the season. The fear of the mental battle could have been huge if Melbourne had found a different way to this point, but the shackles seemed to have been released after their WCE win and I imagine besides the desire to win a final in general, they will have some extra motivation to try to set things right against the Cats. Will that manifest in another performance like they put out against GWS, or will it tighten them up? Should be a cracker.

Tbh I reckon any combination of Rich/Haw v Melb/Geel in week 2 would be huge. But yes they would love that prospect.

To be honest I feel the Tiges should take on the Cats week 2 (assuming they get over the Dees). They seem to measure up well against them these days. I'm not delighted with the prospect of the Cats having a 3rd crack at us this year. Two narrow escapes already..... we can't win them all.

Do us a solid and give us this one :p

To be honest I feel the Tiges should take on the Cats week 2 (assuming they get over the Dees). They seem to measure up well against them these days. I'm not delighted with the prospect of the Cats having a 3rd crack at us this year. Two narrow escapes already..... we can't win them all.

Do us a solid and give us this one :p
Cats have had two narrower escapes over Melbourne, I reckon we'll take this one and let you rely on them slipping up on Friday night :D

Pre-finals bye week

200.gif

Considering you were almost 5 goals down and won with a kick after the siren because Melbourne fell apart structurally at the death that would define choking. How you consider you guys getting close twice after we had built up big leads and than proceeded to choke as the same thing is humorous. Delusional mate just like your clubs flag chances.
I guess history will be our mistress. Only 9 days to go :poo:

Try doing that 10 times a season.....we finished in Brisbane

We finished 2nd ...we bloody earned the extra break
We finished 3rd and finished in Perth, I think we earned a full 7 day break after the first final.
As for you earning the extra break, A week off before the first final not long enough?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back