Autopsy AFL 2023 Round 5 Gather Round - Pies v Saints Sun April 16th 4:50pm AEST (AO)

Who will win and by how much?

• Pies by a goal or less

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Saints by a goal or less

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • Pies by 7 - 20

Votes: 21 29.2%
  • Saints by 7 - 20

Votes: 20 27.8%
  • Pies by a lot

Votes: 14 19.4%
  • Saints by a lot

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Missing the point champ. Membrey was available and not selected. Clearly they rate Caminiti higher. Now they can see who is better while Caminiti has a 4 week holiday
Members players 20 minutes of one quarter in the vfl - not match fit at all

Good back and forth game. I think Collingwood had majority of control except for the second quarter and last part of the match.

Wish we had some more output from Gresh, not a good game for him at all

Once again, it doesn’t matter who started it, that’s not something that the MRO or the tribunal will care about. The only thing they care about is:
Was it high contact?
Was it intentional?
Was the contact severe?

Given the answer to those questions are yes, yes, and severe, he doesn’t get less than 4.
Contact with the head wasn't intentional cause the antagonist twat dropped.

It does mate when it concerns concussion.

Nathan Broad got 3 for a tackle when the ball was in play, purely through the bloke being concussed.

This is a concussion with an elbow to the head 50m from the play.

He will get minimum 4, more likely 5 or 6. I understand your frustration but this is fact and this is AFL in 2023, head is out of bounds especially when it comes to concussion
Harry McKay says hi

Our decision making and ball use were appalling today.

Improve in that area and we would have won convincingly.

Not too worried about the pies going forward.

Our decision making and ball use were appalling today.

Improve in that area and we would have won convincingly.

Not too worried about the pies going forward.
Wasted a lot of our 64 i50s, feeding it down the throat of StK defenders. If McStay stayed out there, we probably would’ve won by about 6-7 goals.

St Kilda still haven’t beaten anyone. Will be interested to see how they fare against the likes of the Cats, Dees and even Blues then Port next couple of week. Not too hard being 4 and zip when your first few weeks are against the likes of rubbish and out of sort sides like Suns, Freo and Doggies.

First real challenge, and you are 4 goals down with just 6 on the board until a few junk time goals get kicked when the game was over.

I’m sure the tribunal will totally accept that argument.
Are you saying he meant to hit him in the head? Because that's low if you are since you don't know the player at all. If you are saying it may have been accidental but the tribunal will grade it intentional then anythings possible with the random number generators at the AFL

Once again, it doesn’t matter who started it, that’s not something that the MRO or the tribunal will care about. The only thing they care about is:
Was it high contact?
Was it intentional?
Was the contact severe?

Given the answer to those questions are yes, yes, and severe, he doesn’t get less than 4.
I'm more than happy to put my balls on the line and say he won't get 4 weeks

There is no way that can be rated as intentional and severe. That's just ridiculous to be honest.

There is no way that can be rated as intentional and severe. That's just ridiculous to be honest.

I think we can all agree:

It wasn't accidental. There was intention to hit Murphy, so it'll meet the intentional criteria
The contact was high. He hit him in the head. The only other option for the MRO is contact to the body.
The impact was severe. He has concussed so Murphy was subbed out of the game and will miss the next game.

Maybe they can argue that he intended to make body contact, rather that high contact. That would result in 3 weeks instead of 4.

But, given this is MRO lottery, it could be anything from a fine to a tribunal appearance. Who knows?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you saying he meant to hit him in the head? Because that's low if you are since you don't know the player at all. If you are saying it may have been accidental but the tribunal will grade it intentional then anythings possible with the random number generators at the AFL
Reference Gaff on Brayshaw. The impact was greater, as his jaw was broken, but the same argument you’re trying to make applied there. Gaff wasn’t intending to hit his jaw, but Brayshaw lowered himself as the swing came, and the result was head high contact. It was graded as intentional, because Gaff intended to make contact with his strike, where he intended it to land is irrelevant in the eyes of the tribunal, the only thing that matters is where the contact actually lands.
Your boy is getting 4 weeks minimum as it stands, particularly given the AFL’s stance on head high contact has significantly toughened since the Gaff/Brayshaw incident.

It can and it will, sorry (not really) to tell you.

If it is the case the Saints will fight it and have it downgraded without a doubt

It was push to the chest gone wrong, there was nothing crude about it and would have been avoided if he hasn't have dropped his knees.
You’re clutching at straws. The Saints won’t challenge a blatant hit behind play.

I think the jury is still out on the Saints until they get a couple of quality scalps. Essendon is potentially the only big one there right now.

Today was a perfect opportunity to continue their unbeaten run, with a fragile Collingwood side that won’t get easier to beat next time having already missing key pillars (2 rucks, most experienced defender and then losing the new KPF) so will be interesting to see how the Saints go next week against a bigger and stronger bodied midfield in Carlton then a rampaging Power. If they can be 6-1 then I’ll sit up and take them seriously.

Pies on the other hand have gotten through the reigning premiers, a pretty decent looking Powers side and now landed the first defeat to the Saints. Pies will want to get to the bye still within reach of the top 4 so they get back the cavalry for a big second half of the season. With a fit and healthy Cameron and Cox, Howe down back and the silky skills of Lipinski, they’ll be even harder to beat than right now.

Plenty of injuries all round across plenty of sides, so chalking up these early 4 points will be giving the boys plenty of confidence.
I understand your point but Saints did beat Fremantle and Dogs, who both played finals last year and were considered top 8 going into the season.
I thought the game was a good indicator where we are, top 8 but not top 4.
Like I said early, can't wait to play Collingwood again and hopefully we do

You’re clutching at straws. The Saints won’t challenge a blatant hit behind play.
Hardly clutching at straws. People in the media have already been quick to point out exactly what I've said.

It was interesting listening to King and Wheatley this morning. Both of those two have always been critical of the AFL for not coming down harder on hits to the head, but even they were wanted to point out that there was a bit more to it.

Wheatley had the impact as careless rather than intentional and King also brought up fact the Collingwood players dropping of the knees, which obviously played a role

Hardly clutching at straws. People in the media have already been quick to point out exactly what I've said.

It was interesting listening to King and Wheatley this morning. Both of those two have always been critical of the AFL for not coming down harder on hits to the head, but even they were wanted to point out that there was a bit more to it.

Wheatley had the impact as careless rather than intentional and King also brought up fact the Collingwood players dropping of the knees, which obviously played a role
As I’ve already pointed out, if you’re going to argue the Collingwood player lowered his body, the most recent precedent for that is the Gaff/Brayshaw incident, where Brayshaw lowered himself in to what was meant to be a jumper punch. The AFL didn’t care back then, and it’s unlikely they will now if they’re genuine about head high contact. Yes, the impact wasn’t as severe in this incident. Hence why I’ve been saying it’s four weeks and not 8.

I couldn’t care less what King and Wheatley say, they have no bearing on what the MRO and tribunal does.

Wasted a lot of our 64 i50s, feeding it down the throat of StK defenders. If McStay stayed out there, we probably would’ve won by about 6-7 goals.

St Kilda still haven’t beaten anyone. Will be interested to see how they fare against the likes of the Cats, Dees and even Blues then Port next couple of week. Not too hard being 4 and zip when your first few weeks are against the likes of rubbish and out of sort sides like Suns, Freo and Doggies.

First real challenge, and you are 4 goals down with just 6 on the board until a few junk time goals get kicked when the game was over.
Nobodies beaten anyone since all the teams have had "slips"...

I understand your point but Saints did beat Fremantle and Dogs, who both played finals last year and were considered top 8 going into the season.
I thought the game was a good indicator where we are, top 8 but not top 4.
Like I said early, can't wait to play Collingwood again and hopefully we do
Out of curiosity, why are you wanting to play Collingwood again? What gave you confidence that you’d beat us next time around? Pies had the Saints measure for the whole second half. Pies had put the game to bed and were 4 goals up (having only conceded 6) by the 27th minute mark of the final quarter.

Back