Autopsy AFL 2024 Opening Round 0 - Suns v Tigers Sat March 9th 4:20pm AEDT (Heritage)

Who will win and by how much?

• Suns by a goal or less

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Tigers by a goal or less

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Suns by 7 - 20

Votes: 29 32.2%
  • Tigers by 7 - 20

Votes: 19 21.1%
  • Suns by a lot

Votes: 19 21.1%
  • Tigers by a lot

Votes: 10 11.1%
  • Draw

Votes: 4 4.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Not as entertaining as the tears of several lions fans last night. šŸ˜
As a Brisbanite they are very close second to the Hawks for me and I was gutted by that. Went straight to bed angry and didnā€™t participate in a board game my wife and kids were playing. Pathetic really that this game can elicit such an emotional response.

Not denying that. Looking back it was a free. But the definition in the rule book stating that a player who is not under immediate pressure or who has time to dispose of the ball means 99% of those instances should result in a player being pinged as they generally have enough time to get a handball off.
99% of players who rush the ball can dispose the ball forward and keep it in play. That's why that rule is inconsistent and terrible, and should have been made more objective and preferably less penalty. Although, I'm not fond of players being rewarded with possession for rushing behinds. That's why it should just be a ball up or throw in 30 metres out from goal from all rush behinds.

Hopefully his goal umpiring regard isn't held up any more or less by knowing him personally or not.

Has one of the best percentages of correct calls on reviews, and calls for a review less than most of his colleagues.

Is reluctantly going to refer more this season.

I know it isn't the topic but SuperCoach points piss me off in how little they value goals. Ben King kicked 5 goals today and yet according to SuperCoach he was the 7th best Suns player today.

99% of players who rush the ball can dispose the ball forward and keep it in play. That's why that rule is inconsistent and terrible, and should have been made more objective and preferably less penalty. Although, I'm not fond of players being rewarded with possession for rushing behinds. That's why it should just be a ball up or throw in 30 metres out from goal from all rush behinds.

I believe the interpretation can be fixed a little.

If you are not facing the goals and rush it through, it is deliberate. Plain and simple, as usually as you mention they have time and space to get a handball off.

I know it isn't the topic but SuperCoach points piss me off in how little they value goals. Ben King kicked 5 goals today and yet according to SuperCoach he was the 7th best Suns player today.

Probably about right. Had a grsat first quarter but did stuff all else for most of the game.

As a Brisbanite they are very close second to the Hawks for me and I was gutted by that. Went straight to bed angry and didnā€™t participate in a board game my wife and kids were playing. Pathetic really that this game can elicit such an emotional response.
Was it Twister ?

I believe the interpretation can be fixed a little.

If you are not facing the goals and rush it through, it is deliberate. Plain and simple, as usually as you mention they have time and space to get a handball off.
I'd rather them either just go back to the original no penalty for rushing it, or just make all rush behinds result in a 50/50 ruck contest. The rule is so unclear, inconsistent, confusing and with such a harsh penalty. One player dived to the ground and rushed it earlier, when they clearly could have kept it alive without penalty, so there's no consistency to that terrible rule.

Maybe so, but he kicked 31 of Gold Coast's 99 points. That should be worth more than 7th best for his team.

Rowell, Anderson, Flanders, Powell, Miller and Fiorini all impacted all game. Then you have Budarick, Witts, Lukosius and King as next best.

I'd rather them either just go back to the original no penalty for rushing it, or just make all rush behinds result in a 50/50 ruck contest. The rule is so unclear, inconsistent, confusing and with such a harsh penalty. One player dived to the ground and rushed it earlier, when they clearly could have kept it alive without penalty, so there's no consistency to that terrible rule.

Dleiberate is such a vague interpetation as you cannot be 100% what someone's intention is. For example, McIntosh kicks a ball down the line. It lands 10m over one contest and 10m short of another. It rolls out and he gets pinged deliberate.

Fast forward 10 minutes:

Budarick in a back pocket, spills a mark, drops to his knees and is about to get tackled so taps it over the line. Gets away with it because he is under pressure.

One is clearly more intentional than the other, but based on pressure, the intent changes in umpiring interpetation.

It's so subjective. And infuriating.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has one of the best percentages of correct calls on reviews, and calls for a review less than most of his colleagues.

Is reluctantly going to refer more this season.
That's good. Does knowing him personally mean anything? Lol

That goal umpire in one of the best in the AFL.

He referred that through gritted teeth.

New directive from the AFL. Review as much as you can. No more Adelaide vs Sydney debacles.

Yes I know that goal umpire personally.
Hereā€™s a thought. How about they review every goal without the need for the goal umpire to ask for it? Continue the game and if it looks like something needs to be changed stop the game and change it.

Suns looked good, but I did have Richmond for bottom 4 this year, so I don't think it's as great as a win as it's going to be made out to be in the media.

Overall can't complain about a first up win. Real wobbles in the 3rd quarter, but were able to put the head down and hold it together until the end. Hope with time those fade outs which were a staple under Dew are ironed out by Hardwick as time rolls on.

Overall can't complain about a first up win. Real wobbles in the 3rd quarter, but were able to put the head down and hold it together until the end. Hope with time those fade outs which were a staple under Dew are ironed out by Hardwick as time rolls on.
It was a game of massive momentum swings. We kicked 11 goals in a row and then conceded 7 consecutive goals. From there we kicked 3 of the last 4 goals to grind out a solid win that gifts us top position on the ladder. I think it's important to point out that Richmond never got within 4 goals of the Suns during their comeback and you'd think Dimma's tactics probably would have shifted dramatically if Richmond had moved within a goal or 2 of the Suns. Dimma did eventually find a way to stop the momentum without making massive changes, but that really needed to occur in the 3rd quarter and well before they kicked their 7th in a row.

Having said all that, it seemed like Yze just threw caution to the wind in the 3rd quarter and told the Richmond players to take the game on / play on instinct. That's hard to stop because a team that has nothing to lose isn't going to abide by typical footy structures/guidelines and it can be extremely difficult to defend that when you're the team that's trying to defend a lead (particularly when you're learning a new game plan). Still a great win, though. Now we see if we can continue this promising start against the Crows.

Seems Hardwick made the right move to leave the sinking ship that is the tigers šŸ˜„
Three premierships.
Dimma getting free kicks now also.
Could not get anything at Richmond.

All rules are essentially subjective and interpreted by the umpires
Not necessarily. For example - if a ball kicked past the goal line and doesn't touch anything, that's objectively a goal. Whereas that rush behind rule is very flawed, subjective and is inconsistent. You can't rush it if it's possible to keep it alive, but you can also rush it if you're under pressure? They don't properly define what pressure is, and the clauses are not consistent, since it's almost always possible to keep the ball alive even if under pressure. They could have easily made the rush behind rule clear and objective by just making all rush behinds resulting in a ruck contest 30 metres out from goal.

Not necessarily. For example - if a ball goes past the goal line and doesn't touch anything, that's objectively a goal. Whereas that rush behind rule is very flawed, subjective and is inconsistent. You can't rush it if it's possible to keep it alive, but you can also rush it if you're under pressure? They don't properly define what pressure is, and the clauses are not consistent, since it's almost always possible to keep the ball alive even if under pressure. They could have easily made the rush behind rule clear and objective by just making all rush behinds resulting in a ruck contest 30 metres out from goal.
Holding the ball, holding the man, deliberate, dropping the ball etc
All interpreted

pretty easy fix,

rush it in the behind area its - 3 points.
rush it in the goal area it's - '6 points.

THis would make the game more exciting.

Ball goes through the goals, regardless of who touches is its a goal.
NO THIS hit my fingernail bulldust and it's not a goal.

Back