AFL Cairns -- Season 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Pt Douglas vs City Lions...Pt Douglas 40pts
Nth Cairns vs Manunda....Nth Cairns 30pts
Sth Cairns vs Centrals T.B...Sth Cairns 24pts

Lions were 30 points up in 2nd quarter but got worn down & over run in the last 20 mins with crocs running riot on the goals very late in the game as the rain came down. Honestly the score did not reflect the even ness of the contest. Port are an OK side but I reckon we will get them at our place next time.

I know it's Easter, but very quiet on here, some big results, and a coach already gone, interesting week in cairns footy

Well big wins to Port, Norths and Souths,
And Tigers coach gone due to not seeing eye to eye with board.

Really. So the coach has had the team on the right track and hasn't lost a game, but the committee has let him go and more than likely had to pay him for his full term (unless something was worked out), laughable at best Tigers.

Souths could be in an ideal position now.

Really. So the coach has had the team on the right track and hasn't lost a game, but the committee has let him go and more than likely had to pay him for his full term (unless something was worked out), laughable at best Tigers.

Souths could be in an ideal position now.

Not sure on the details, in regards to tigers, but not ideal for either party, paper said he walked so probably no payout, but I am going on that information from the paper.

Not sure on the details, in regards to tigers, but not ideal for either party, paper said he walked so probably no payout, but I am going on that information from the paper.

Ok thanks.

A big loss there. Tigers hopefully have contingencies in place.

ANZAC Day should be a cracking game. Opinions on the best players in the comp after round 4? What player's have stood out to you?

Ok thanks.

A big loss there. Tigers hopefully have contingencies in place.
Coach takes on a club where they lost half the team from 2013, has no money to recruit and then gets told he cannot have juniors to develop as they need to play colts footy. Why would he stick around.

Coach takes on a club where they lost half the team from 2013, has no money to recruit and then gets told he cannot have juniors to develop as they need to play colts footy. Why would he stick around.

I was sympathetic to him if you read my posts correctly.

Watched the first two games and thought that he is by far the best coach up here. Good luck to him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was sympathetic to him if you read my posts correctly.

Watched the first two games and thought that he is by far the best coach up here. Good luck to him.
Couldn't agree more. What he did against sainters in round one with the players at his disposal was unbelievable

Couldn't agree more. What he did against sainters in round one with the players at his disposal was unbelievable

Yeh seen that.
Didn't seem to animated or over the top when telling his players the mistakes they made.
Very professional in a semi professional league.

Couldn't agree more. No player should be expected to play twice on consecutive days. League need to take a good hard look at themselves

Couldn't agree more. No player should be expected to play twice on consecutive days. League need to take a good hard look at themselves

In Victoria, 18's play on the same day and some players play 18's in the mornings then seniors in the afternoon. At the end of the day colts coaches should stop worrying about premierships over the development of junior players. A junior will develop 100 times faster by being exposed to senior football if they are up to it.
Colts teams can top up from below if they are short... This has knock on effect in developing the juniors that play up, just as long as they are physically up to it. I think we need to stop blaming the league and start blaming coaches and clubs who are more worried about junior success (this happens at all clubs).

In Victoria, 18's play on the same day and some players play 18's in the mornings then seniors in the afternoon. At the end of the day colts coaches should stop worrying about premierships over the development of junior players. A junior will develop 100 times faster by being exposed to senior football if they are up to it.
Colts teams can top up from below if they are short... This has knock on effect in developing the juniors that play up, just as long as they are physically up to it. I think we need to stop blaming the league and start blaming coaches and clubs who are more worried about junior success (this happens at all clubs).

That's very well put. Senior coaches who promote and actually play the kids like he did rather than have them playing to make up the numbers. Clearly in the players best interest for development as well as the club

Thats all fine, we all played U17 & then seniors etc growing up in southern leagues. I just feel we had a better situation here, quality ground under quality lights, midweek. Perfect way to manage our junior players into senior football without pushing them too hard. Just because we all did it etc doesn't make it right. We had a good set up & we changed it?

Thats all fine, we all played U17 & then seniors etc growing up in southern leagues. I just feel we had a better situation here, quality ground under quality lights, midweek. Perfect way to manage our junior players into senior football without pushing them too hard. Just because we all did it etc doesn't make it right. We had a good set up & we changed it?

Realise that, but take into account the Port had to travel a fair bit compared to local Cairns teams and it doesn't leave too many options open for expansion.

A lot of these players are still at school and it didn't leave much time to get to a 600pm game.

So if they play Wednesday, late games for young lads who are most likely in year 11 and 12, week nights are used for study even more so than weekends. To add to this training for colts needs to operate on a different night to seniors as they play on Wednesday(unless they role with Tuesday - Thursday, which really doesn't make sense), so lighting bills are more expensive for clubs up here that are not rich. The guys who are up for senior selection are expected to train with the senior group, so not only do they train with the colts at least once a week, they also train with the seniors twice.

Some parents and volunteers who are involved in both senior and junior clubs and have kids playing across the board have training Monday, senior training Tuesday and Thursday, colts Wednesday, in the old setup 16's friday, senior football on Saturday and juniors Sunday. It all becomes to much, football 7 days a week is just silly and burns ppl out.

So yeah both set ups aren't perfect but I feel as though Wednesday is perhaps more difficult.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back