AFL Cairns -- Season 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

207 goals in the last two seasons, pretty impressive. Look forward to watching him play. What brings him to Lions? Recruited? Shopped around?
Couple of good mates already with us & happy with what was offered I understand, so all good. Very, very handy assistant coach just turned up from Tas as well, all looking good.

Gribble and Bradbury gone from Manunda according to Sporting pulse.

and you can expect half of the Port side to have moved on, pretty standard for up there, havent heard anything otherwise.

Gribble and Bradbury gone from Manunda according to Sporting pulse.

and you can expect half of the Port side to have moved on, pretty standard for up there, havent heard anything otherwise.

Yes both gone and Aisi no certainty either from the whispers......

I have followed ACT footy for a while. Since NEAFL div 1 has been made up of NEAFL clubs reserves sides and isn't even close to Cairns footy

Hi all up north,

Interesting read .....

I am involved with a NEAFL club in sydney and ( ironically)was discussing recruiting with some Canberra NEAFL club friends recently at Coaching conference in Adelaide . We were debating which parts of Oz are good recruiting areas for NEAFL clubs

One who is involved at Belconnen Magpies in a coaching role indicated that their club recruited a number of players from AFL Cairns a few years back , from memory this came about as there footy manager was from up there I believe?? but cant confirm

Anyway all up they moved around 6 or 7 down that year from various clubs - & he said they all struggled at NEAFL level completely and some were lucky to hold positions in reserves & a couple went home not long after arriving or spent a year or 2 in the 3rd and 4th AFL Canberra division

Interestingly, a name mentioned in this forum - Daniel Lock came up as an example , the guy from Belconnen said Lock came with massive wraps as a key tall , particularly as a fwd but didnt show anything all season and left at seasons end without playing a senior game - he stated it was probably the biggest waste of time and money the club had invested in its recruiting history

in fact they are all gone now - as is the footy manager who recruited them ( no surprise )

In closing he declared that they will strictly stick to 'south of the Murray River' now as a recruiting territory

Now i have never watched a game in AFL Cairns and am only passing on a chat I had with someone at Belconnen Magpies, so its not my opinion but was just adding some more info to the debate

Hope you have a great 2014 footy season up there

Hi all up north,

Interesting read .....

I am involved with a NEAFL club in sydney and ( ironically)was discussing recruiting with some Canberra NEAFL club friends recently at Coaching conference in Adelaide . We were debating which parts of Oz are good recruiting areas for NEAFL clubs

One who is involved at Belconnen Magpies in a coaching role indicated that their club recruited a number of players from AFL Cairns a few years back , from memory this came about as there footy manager was from up there I believe?? but cant confirm

Anyway all up they moved around 6 or 7 down that year from various clubs - & he said they all struggled at NEAFL level completely and some were lucky to hold positions in reserves & a couple went home not long after arriving or spent a year or 2 in the 3rd and 4th AFL Canberra division

Interestingly, a name mentioned in this forum - Daniel Lock came up as an example , the guy from Belconnen said Lock came with massive wraps as a key tall , particularly as a fwd but didnt show anything all season and left at seasons end without playing a senior game - he stated it was probably the biggest waste of time and money the club had invested in its recruiting history

in fact they are all gone now - as is the footy manager who recruited them ( no surprise )

In closing he declared that they will strictly stick to 'south of the Murray River' now as a recruiting territory

Now i have never watched a game in AFL Cairns and am only passing on a chat I had with someone at Belconnen Magpies, so its not my opinion but was just adding some more info to the debate

D Lock haha

Hi all up north,

Interesting read .....

The ex footy manager you are referring to was at that time, EX Cairns AFL Umpire Director . He was sacked from Balconnen.
The one who took over was Cam Campbell, and from the mail I have received over the years he did a damn great job for Balconnen Magpies as their CEO. So why are you trying to slander him for or are you upset he left the club in good shape.He has come home for family.

All clubs around Oz have had their fingers burnt by so called legends, great players not all make the grade in different regions for one reason or another.
Gee Cairns has taken on heaps and a lot have failed.
Will give Saints a huge wrap here, they have had some really good recruited players, hats off to them (Walshy, Eagle to just name two)

Interesting another one gets on the site to sling mud. I do not know what the problem is with Dan, I have found him to be honest and I class him as a friend and a decent class of footballer. Coach well it is too early to tell as he came into the role at Souths mid through the year and TOOK the club to the Semi's when all said Souths were , USELESS, COULDN'T make it, he changed that idea and proved he had the mantle.
So he was given the gig again, give him a full year at coaching to prove himself before trying too ASSASSINATE. And D Lock is the 5th coach at Souths in 4 years so at least he is trying to resurrect the club I do not see others coming forward in a rush, pushing for the job.

Give the man a go. !!!

Last edited:
The ex footy manager you are referring to was at that time, EX Cairns AFL Umpire Director . He was sacked from Balconnen.
The one who took over was Cam Campbell, and from the mail I have received over the years he did a damn great job for Balconnen Magpies as their CEO. So why are you trying to slander him for or are you upset he left the club in good shape.He has come home for family.

All clubs around Oz have had their fingers burnt by so called legends, great players not all make the grade in different regions for one reason or another.
Gee Cairns has taken on heaps and a lot have failed.
Will give Saints a huge wrap here, they have had some really good recruited players, hats off to them (Walshy, Eagle to just name two)

Interesting another one gets on the site to sling mud. I do not know what the problem is with Dan, I have found him to be honest and I class him as a friend and a decent class of footballer. Coach well it is too early to tell as he came into the role at Souths mid through the year and TOOK the club to the Semi's when all said Souths were , USELESS, COULDN'T make it, he changed that idea and proved he had the mantle.
So he was given the gig again, give him a full year at coaching to prove himself before trying too ASSASSINATE. And D Lock is the 5th coach at Souths in 4 years so at least he is trying to resurrect the club I do not see others coming forward in a rush, pushing for the job.

Give the man a go. !!!

ok easy mate
I wasnt slandering anyone , just passing on a conversation related to the topic that was being discussed - sorry for doing that in a chat forum??
I think i made that pretty clear in closing my post

Interesting your comments as to where this fella you mentioned has left the Belconnen Magpies 'in good shape' because the club person I chatted with said he felt they were in major dire straits - both on the playing side on field & off field financially. He indicated they had NO recruits lined up for 2014 & the players were all asked to take a 50% pay cut with many leaving the club from last year - he suggested almost 50% of their senior side has left & the club wasnt happy at all that 4 or 5 Belconnen players were heading to Cairns to play. The club is re considering its viability in the NEAFL as it is financially untenable given the clubs $$$$ issues , In addition to all the above their footy manager dropped a bombshell a week after he had re-signed a 2 year contract & told them he was going home to Cairns leaving them to try find a new footy manager only weeks from start of 2014 season

So if that is leaving a club in good shape - then Id hate to see how your club is when things are bad

Well some interesting comments. Where to start?
Neafl in Canberra I guess, all sides in Canberra are feeling the pinch with the new set up, keeping and recruiting players is getting harder every year, all sides in Canberra have lost significant players or have had to work extremely hard to get them to stay or pay more hence no salary cap for Canberra, as a player go to brissy or go to Canberra ?? Tough choice,
Belconnen has always relied on certain members of the club financially and if those guys don't dip into there pockets , well they struggle, as for the last GM , he has left due to family reasons and left on good terms, and was doing his job to the very end. Maybe belco should look at the last coach leaving at short notice, giving no indication he was leaving.
The origanal thread was actually bagging Canberra footballers, and take time bagging d.lock.
Hence a few are sick of the bagging.
And belco senior side had 3. Players who all played cairns footy, actually 4 including jye bohm so a big call.from the coach, again my couple of cents worth.
There are always a few stories, and we love to hear them, that's why we are here I guess

At a $million plus (easy check-able figure, it is stated out there ) required to keep a side in the NEAFL, most sides would struggle to field great / decent team.
From the mail I have the Canberra lads to Souths came from Ainslie not Belconnen.

Well some interesting comments. Where to start?
Neafl in Canberra I guess, all sides in Canberra are feeling the pinch with the new set up, keeping and recruiting players is getting harder every year, all sides in Canberra have lost significant players or have had to work extremely hard to get them to stay or pay more hence no salary cap for Canberra, as a player go to brissy or go to Canberra ?? Tough choice,
Belconnen has always relied on certain members of the club financially and if those guys don't dip into there pockets , well they struggle, as for the last GM , he has left due to family reasons and left on good terms, and was doing his job to the very end. Maybe belco should look at the last coach leaving at short notice, giving no indication he was leaving.
The origanal thread was actually bagging Canberra footballers, and take time bagging d.lock.
Hence a few are sick of the bagging.
And belco senior side had 3. Players who all played cairns footy, actually 4 including jye bohm so a big call.from the coach, again my couple of cents worth.
There are always a few stories, and we love to hear them, that's why we are here I guess

The issue isnt with the football manager and how well he did his job. Belconnen, like Ainslie have invested heavily in a number of social clubs and new playing facilities and as a result have reduced football expenditure. Matty Lokan who coached them to a flag, when told there would be no recruiting and massive cuts in both player and coaching payments decided to leave. His perogative All Canberra clubs are very proud and all bar one, quite stable financially. They recruit heavily from the Rivernia (Wagga district) and not all players have been value for money. The Cairns players who went down to Belconnen in 2011 walked into a club that was in disarray after winning the flag the year or two before. There was a lot said by the outgoing coach at presentation and a number of players left. Anyway, this is a forum and it all makes interesting reading. We all have opinions, but we should all avoid bagging each other and individuals (including coaches). I am sure they are all putting their best foot forward for the right reason. Just to add interest to the story, my mail is the Canberra teams participating in NEAFL in 2015 will be reduced from 4 down to 2.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The issue isnt with the football manager and how well he did his job. Belconnen, like Ainslie have invested heavily in a number of social clubs and new playing facilities and as a result have reduced football expenditure. Matty Lokan who coached them to a flag, when told there would be no recruiting and massive cuts in both player and coaching payments decided to leave. His perogative All Canberra clubs are very proud and all bar one, quite stable financially. They recruit heavily from the Rivernia (Wagga district) and not all players have been value for money. The Cairns players who went down to Belconnen in 2011 walked into a club that was in disarray after winning the flag the year or two before. There was a lot said by the outgoing coach at presentation and a number of players left. Anyway, this is a forum and it all makes interesting reading. We all have opinions, but we should all avoid bagging each other and individuals (including coaches). I am sure they are all putting their best foot forward for the right reason. Just to add interest to the story, my mail is the Canberra teams participating in NEAFL in 2015 will be reduced from 4 down to 2.
Yep agree on most of that , yes the investment in social clubs has had a big impact, especially with Ainslie and the lakes, I know Canberra teams have even looked at combining, believe it or not, the new neafl system is very much survival of the fittest at the moment in Canberra,

Tamba nope, no Ainslie players at cutters

Yep agree on most of that , yes the investment in social clubs has had a big impact, especially with Ainslie and the lakes, I know Canberra teams have even looked at combining, believe it or not, the new neafl system is very much survival of the fittest at the moment in Canberra,

That was always the AFL plan. Build a comp spreading the East Coast, turn it into the surviival of the fittest. Some great Brisbane/Gold Coast clubs along with Tuggeranong have gone by the wayside. Two more will be lost or amalgamate next year. It will make for a very stable and strong second tier comp, but very costly to maintain. I hope the opportuntiy re presents itself for a Far North Queensland teams involvement in 2015 and beyond. I also hope that the required structures are put in place, so it stays viable. Interesting observation on this site. The top three teams from last year are very quiet on this site. The teams coming from a long way back, spend a lot of time talking up the recruits and coaching staff. My observations are a number of rumours circulating a couple of months back with player movements between clubs have turned out to be no more than rumours.

That was always the AFL plan. Build a comp spreading the East Coast, turn it into the surviival of the fittest. Some great Brisbane/Gold Coast clubs along with Tuggeranong have gone by the wayside. Two more will be lost or amalgamate next year. It will make for a very stable and strong second tier comp, but very costly to maintain. I hope the opportuntiy re presents itself for a Far North Queensland teams involvement in 2015 and beyond. I also hope that the required structures are put in place, so it stays viable. Interesting observation on this site. The top three teams from last year are very quiet on this site. The teams coming from a long way back, spend a lot of time talking up the recruits and coaching staff. My observations are a number of rumours circulating a couple of months back with player movements between clubs have turned out to be no more than rumours.

I have always said we should support the NEAFL here,
but not too the disadvantage of the local clubs, which I am positive will not happen.

Cairns AFL wanted it to be based here, they had the majority of the money to go alone along with a sponsor ,
but QAFL wanted it based in Townsville, whom had NO money along with Mackay, with Cairns footing most of cash along with their input (QAFL), to cough up . So it fell over.

Some are teachers and cannot play on the computer during the day,
I can because I have my own office.

All valid points ... & i agree with most

Same situation here in Sydney footy

I was only passing on what this guy told me , he was very open about all of it ( surprisingly open and quite critical around the topics discussed here) and didnt seem to paint same picture as my mate Tamba about where Belconnen is at & given what he told me i would challenge the leaving the club in great shape call

One question though ... where and when did Matthew Lokan take Belconnen to a flag ?? Not in my time involved in NEAFL ?? Did he coach them to a flag prior to NEAFL in AFL Canberra? I didnt think he was there that long anyway??

All valid points ... & i agree with most

Same situation here in Sydney footy

I was only passing on what this guy told me , he was very open about all of it ( surprisingly open and quite critical around the topics discussed here) and didnt seem to paint same picture as my mate Tamba about where Belconnen is at & given what he told me i would challenge the leaving the club in great shape call

One question though ... where and when did Matthew Lokan take Belconnen to a flag ?? Not in my time involved in NEAFL ?? Did he coach them to a flag prior to NEAFL in AFL Canberra? I didnt think he was there that long anyway??

Belconnen have won the Eastern Conference flag within the last two seasons. It may have even been last year.

I don't know who walshy is but hughsey should give the lions the boost they need

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lions had a gun forward 2 years ago and made no difference. Yes he made them slightly better but until they can recruit some other quality players to get the ball to him then it will be the same old story at Holloways. Lets hope this season they can do that and make a crack at the finals

Lions kicking off their 2014 with a practice match Vs a PNG side on 8th march, should be an awesome day, interested to see how the PNG boys go, be hard at it I'd reckon...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back