AFL clamping down on throwing

Remove this Banner Ad

Sman-21

Premiership Player
Feb 7, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
One thing ive noticed this season is the umpires paying closer attention to illegal disposals,throwing etc.
Its about time they did something about it as it was getting completely out of hand.

I dont often praise the AFL/Umps on how they pick certain rules every year and over umpire them rules.
With this one it was about bloody time.

Well done AFL/umps great to see this area getting cleaned up.

They choose a rule or 2 to clamp down on every year.

This year throwing looks to be one of them

I agree it shouldnt happen but it does an im happy we will start to see less throws.

Why do they need to "clamp down" on anything? Just pay free kicks when they happen .. for a change.

Because many rules aren't black and white, and sometimes interpretation changes. I'm sure umpires receive training on how to pick certain things that happen on a footy field as well - maybe they've spent a lot of time on the quick 'handballs' over the past couple of months.

the umpires have been very good with throws since the 'crow throw' from the late 90s, i dont think its getting out of hand, and i dont think there cracking down. they are doing there job and just paying decisions as they see it

Hmm i rarely saw throws paid over the last few years when a player was tackled an disposed of ball.
This year im seeing heaps, player tackled gets ball away with a throw an the umpires are pinging them.
They used to just let it go unless it was blatantly obvious.
Now there paying some that are even hard for us to see in replays but looks like it was correct.

Tonights game in opening few mins was a perfect example.
Guy tackled disposes of ball, normally play on.
This year pinged for throw.
Doing a great job on them decisions.

Although if they drop it straight down its fine.
Throw it slightly forward an your pinged

Tonights game in opening few mins was a perfect example.
Guy tackled disposes of ball, normally play on.
This year pinged for throw.
Doing a great job on them decisions.

Although if they drop it straight down its fine.
Throw it slightly forward an your pinged

Thing is as long as you didn't have prior opportunity, you're allowed to drop the ball. That's in the rules. If you have the chance to get a throw/handball away, it means you did have prior opportunity and thus you can be pinged.

Most people don't understand the concept that you're allowed to actually drop the ball if you don't have prior. This doesn't stop the umpires being inconsistent what is prior though.

Thing is as long as you didn't have prior opportunity, you're allowed to drop the ball. That's in the rules. If you have the chance to get a throw/handball away, it means you did have prior opportunity and thus you can be pinged.

Most people don't understand the concept that you're allowed to actually drop the ball if you don't have prior. This doesn't stop the umpires being inconsistent what is prior though.

Well, yes and no. You can't deliberately drop the ball, as even without prior you need to attempt to dispose of it legally. But it's obviously hard for the umpire to judge whether a player deliberately dropped it and as a result it's hardly ever paid. I have seen HTB paid though on very rare occasions and the umpire has said 'you just dropped it, you need to make an attempt to handball'.

Umpiring will continue to look inconsistent whilst the rules (interpretations) mean that they have to pay certain decisions when they are really minor/petty decisions that really dont affect the play. If decisions were made on the basis of whether they affect the actual play or not, then when they do miss the odd decision they wont look so inconsistent.
Some of these free's for almost insignificant high contact or touching someones back are a case in point. Thats where a lot of frustration comes from. Especially for the paying punters.
Another one is blowing the whistle, causing hesitation & then calling playon for advantage, its just Stoopid! Just call "advantage, Play On". stop the play if non exists. Right now they just create confusion.

I was watching the Giants massacre (dont ask me why) and noticed quite a few throws that were blatant in front of the umps but nothing happened.

Sure they're new kids but rules should be the same for everyone. Why should WCE suffer because of favouritsm for the new guys?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back