AFL declares war on tagging

Remove this Banner Ad

Agreed. They have already cut the balls of defenders with their rules saying that if a defender touches a forward its a free kick against the defender and now they are going after the taggers aswell.
Just because Sydney's game plan is full of this s**t.

Well some of the tagging is excessive though, such as shirt tugging and tripping. They already get enough frees though, an extra field umpire would lead to more frees, which would just mean more stoppages.

Umpires are also expected to be told to strictly officiate heavy-handed tactics, such as blocking players at stoppages, and prevent the hindering of players more than five metres from the ball.

This is the bit that worries me.

We all know what the AFL is like - they kneejerk so hard they kick themselves in the face with a steelcapped boot. I can just imagine a season where the whistle is blown every time one of these 'heinous' taggers tries to position his body between his opponent and the ball.

In theory the proposal of watching taggers' tactics could be a good idea - but in practice I don't trust the AFL and their umpires to introduce any new rule with any degree of common sense or moderation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

s**t how are you meant to be a defender these days? Ask the other team to play badly?

This is getting to be ri-god-damn-diculous

I think we can all agree that free flowing high scoring AFL games are good to watch.

However i like taggers in the game because it allows players who are not as skillful to be a vital part of the team. Taggers also separate the average onballers from the superstars.

Watching players like G.Ablett, C.Judd, A.Goodes etc. dominate a game even though they are being tagged, and knowing lesser players would falter i think is entertaining.

Taggers are also becomming more two way footballers if you look at taggers like C.Ling, K.Cornes, B.kirk etc.

I think taggers are a good part of the game and the AFL trying to stamp it out it will be like the hands in the back rule. it could potentially **** UP AFL even more.

Unless a tagger is legitimately manhandling their man while he does not have possession then no rules please. Actually, there already is a rule for that - it's called holding the man. Unless that is the case, play on. What is this rubbish about blocking the run? Sounds to me like a case of playing in front and putting one's body in a position where one is first to the ball.

The Age understands that the laws of the game committee has been impressed by an impassioned presentation early last month from John Worsfold in which the Eagles coach showed a series of videoed incidents featuring Gary Ablett, Daniel Kerr and Chris Judd.

Woosha mustn't have too many taggers coming through his list.:rolleyes:

The way the game is going they may as well throw the players a netball and get it over and done with.

Umpires are also expected to be told to strictly officiate heavy-handed tactics, such as blocking players at stoppages, and prevent the hindering of players more than five metres from the ball.

Will the same rule apply all over the ground? The Geelong defence are masters at screening, why should this rule be introduced just for the benefit of Gary Ablett Junior type players?

Bout bloody time.

I'm sick of watching players of the calibre of Ablett & Judd being molested off the ball & only getting a couple of frees a game.

The posters whinging about the AFL obviously don't have an elite midfielder who is continuosly copping sh1t attention every week.

Why should forwards get an easy run with the umpires and playmakers get no support.

Bout bloody time.

I'm sick of watching players of the calibre of Ablett & Judd being molested off the ball & only getting a couple of frees a game.

The posters whinging about the AFL obviously don't have an elite midfielder who is continuosly copping sh1t attention every week.

Why should forwards get an easy run with the umpires and playmakers get no support.

All part of an AFL conspiracy to allow Geelong to win another flag and Carlton to seriously challenge. :D

whats the point of stopping clubs tagging in the nab cup ? teams normally want to see how there players go without tagging key opponents.

will this rule go both ways? quite often midfielders will block a taggers run to allow their player more time/space with the ball. Geelong and Hawthorn are both particularly good at this

s**t how are you meant to be a defender these days? Ask the other team to play badly?

This is getting to be ri-god-damn-diculous

Bang on. What kid these days grows up even wanting to be a defender? Not only does no one notice you, it has basically turned into an impossible job.

Seriously, the AFL needs to leave the rules the **** alone - but we all know they won't because the rules committee is hardly gonna accept their 50K a year by saying "nah the rules are fine, leave 'em as they are".

Just another step in the AFL's quest to manufacture high scores.

Bout bloody time.

Yeah mate, Geelong is the only team who has elite players and every other club is irrelevant. You ignorant flog:thumbsdown:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back