AFL declares war on tagging

Remove this Banner Ad

A few over reactions here.

There is absolutely no change in the rules, but a commitment to better enforce them and give players in all positons equal protections. Sounds only fair.

There is a few very good, fair taggers out there that will be fine with this.

Yeh and will come the inconsitencies like always. Some will be pinged, others wont.

This is great news for all players who go for the ball instead of the man.

Well done to the AFL - it's about time we rewarded real toughness (toughness at the ball) and stamped out the other rubbish.

I think everyone who sudgests that the new "rule" is a bad thing should be red carded for not reading the OP. If you are one of these people and still dont know what im talking about please remove yourself from the gene pool.

The umpires already struggle badly with consistently calling the in the back rule in the forward line, I cant fathom how annoyingly inconsistent this will end up being as well.

If all its going to do is give the star players a free run and exclude others, then its going to be pointless.

Huuh?????

Why should the best players in the comp be penalised by letting taggers free reign to use illegal tactics?

There are plenty of good fair taggers who don't cross the line and do a fantastic job stopping the best midfielders without breaking the rules. The Josh Carrs of the comp deserve what they get. Do you go to the footy to watch Josh Carr cheat or Gary Ablett cutting it up through the midfield?

Bullshit

I don't complain when Shaun Burgoyne gets tagged, and opposition shouldn't complain when Kornes tags one of their's.

I for one enjoy tagging from a neutral perspective, as it allows two non-key position players to go head to head for an entire match.

Yeah mate, Geelong is the only team who has elite players and every other club is irrelevant. You ignorant flog

^yet im sure we won't hear a word from the pussies when ling beats his opponent...

Huuh?????

Why should the best players in the comp be penalised by letting taggers free reign to use illegal tactics?

There are plenty of good fair taggers who don't cross the line and do a fantastic job stopping the best midfielders without breaking the rules. The Josh Carrs of the comp deserve what they get. Do you go to the footy to watch Josh Carr cheat or Gary Ablett cutting it up through the midfield?

You think the umpires don't already keep a close watch on Josh Carr? They are at him all through a game telling him to ease up and they pay a kick against him when it warrants it. Hopefully all a 4th umpire will result in is even more of Kerr's cheap shots being picked up - headbutting and hitting players in the groin is what I'd call cheating.

You think the umpires don't already keep a close watch on Josh Carr? They are at him all through a game telling him to ease up and they pay a kick against him when it warrants it. Hopefully all a 4th umpire will result in is even more of Kerr's cheap shots being picked up - headbutting and hitting players in the groin is what I'd call cheating.

I agree 100%, don't think I don't apply my veiws to Eagles players. As to the Kerr incidents he was caught and was punished so whats your point?

Also you need to ask why did Kerr lose is cool? Because he's on the receiving end of illegal tagging every game he plays.

I just can't wait for the Port v Freo game with your old mate Josh dishing it out to Palmer. The crys of foul play from all the Freo posts will be simply hilarious.....................how sweet it will be:D:thumbsu::thumbsu:

I agree 100%, don't think I don't apply my veiws to Eagles players. As to the Kerr incidents he was caught and was punished so whats your point?

Also you need to ask why did Kerr lose is cool? Because he's on the receiving end of illegal tagging every game he plays.

I just can't wait for the Port v Freo game with your old mate Josh dishing it out to Palmer. The crys of foul play from all the Freo posts will be simply hilarious.....................how sweet it will be:D:thumbsu::thumbsu:

My only cries of foul play will be for the likes of Solomon, Sandilands, Pavlich, Hasleby and Crowley (and whoever else may be in the surrounds) for not protecting him. Josh plays how he plays. He doesn't hurt anyone, he's just an annoying little twerp. I think Rhys Palmer (like most elite players) can deal with the attention that comes his way without resorting to belting someone.

Huuh?????

Call me strange, but I actually go to the footy to see my club win.

My whole point is that as long as it doesnt exclude other midfielders/players etc. The rule will be pointless if all one umpire is doing is watching Gary Ablett for 120 minutes whilst missing other things going on. I have zero faith in the umpiring fraternity being fair or consistent about this. Whilst yes, its great and entertaining to see the elite players in good form, noone is going to want to see them getting a free ride, nor want to see them carve up your team because the umpires were whistle happy early and your tagger is too scared to go within 5 metres of his opponent for fear of a free kick being called.

The AFL stated at the start of this year a group of players that would be given extra protection against illegal tactics...now they are going to get another umpire in to watch them...its just overkill.

Interesting to compare the AFL's possible introduction of a fourth umpire to the NRL's possible introduction of a second umpire. In the NRL quarters, there are quite a few people worried about changing the fabric of the game etc, whereas in the AFL, we just accept another step towards over-officiating.

Unfortunately with AussieRules being a game of interpretation, i don't think the game will last another 50 years with all these rule changes. It ceases to become a game when the rules change every year and most of the free kicks are at the umpire's discretion. RIP AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So, in summary, we are in for a whole bunch of rubbish, overly technical free kicks being plucked from obscurity and leaving players and the crowd totally bemused and outraged?????

GREAT:thumbsdown::rolleyes:

I thought the AFL already did this, by rubbing out players with absolutely no evidence.

mic

But there was evidence, Farmer had a broken nose, Baker was near him, so clearly Baker did something untoward to Farmer to cause a broken nose, as Farmer being a klutz and not looking where he was running was impossible. :D

Call me strange, but I actually go to the footy to see my club win.

My whole point is that as long as it doesnt exclude other midfielders/players etc. The rule will be pointless if all one umpire is doing is watching Gary Ablett for 120 minutes whilst missing other things going on. I have zero faith in the umpiring fraternity being fair or consistent about this. Whilst yes, its great and entertaining to see the elite players in good form, noone is going to want to see them getting a free ride, nor want to see them carve up your team because the umpires were whistle happy early and your tagger is too scared to go within 5 metres of his opponent for fear of a free kick being called.

The AFL stated at the start of this year a group of players that would be given extra protection against illegal tactics...now they are going to get another umpire in to watch them...its just overkill.

You mean the existing rule will be pointless ??? there is no new rule .they are clamping down on the existing rule....that in turn means ALL players will benefit by the illegal tactics being penalised . making sure existing rules are enforced can only be a good thing.

More goals = more commercials = more money for the AFL in TV rights.

Another step to make the AFL just like basketball. Ping pong rubbish.

What is happening to the tough game I loved so much. Now everytime the whistle goes I don't even know which way the decision is going to go.

Pathetic...leave it alone for Christ sake!!!!!!! :thumbsdown:

You mean the existing rule will be pointless ??? there is no new rule .they are clamping down on the existing rule....that in turn means ALL players will benefit by the illegal tactics being penalised . making sure existing rules are enforced can only be a good thing.

If that's the case. Why do we need a press release from the AFL to tell us about it? Just enforce the rules. Personally, I can't see how a move from 2 umpires to 3 has improved the spectacle. Apparently AFL is an 'entertainment product' but they are doing their best to remove the entertainment IMO.

Bout bloody time.

I'm sick of watching players of the calibre of Ablett & Judd being molested off the ball & only getting a couple of frees a game.

The posters whinging about the AFL obviously don't have an elite midfielder who is continuosly copping sh1t attention every week.

Why should forwards get an easy run with the umpires and playmakers get no support.

Wow, you really have NFI.

Please delist Ling if you want these rules brought in, because he'll have no purpose in the game anymore.

Anyone notice the only people agreeing with this are WCE, Carlton and Geelong supporters? Gee I wonder why :rolleyes: .

Sorry, no new rule. Point still stands.

You think it will benefit all players. I dont. I think it will benefit the elite few, will be dreadfuly inconsistent and will be a cause of mass frustration for players and supporters.

See how it goes i guess. Im just sick of these yearly and sometimes half yearly knee jerk reactions and constant ****ing about of the sport.

n4807614751_5278.jpg

Bullshit

I don't complain when Shaun Burgoyne gets tagged, and opposition shouldn't complain when Kornes tags one of their's.

I for one enjoy tagging from a neutral perspective, as it allows two non-key position players to go head to head for an entire match.

^yet im sure we won't hear a word from the pussies when ling beats his opponent...

You don't mind the star players being tagged, if it is done within the rules of the game. Kane Cornes is one of the few respected taggers in the game because he doesn't have to resort to parasitical behaviour to get the job done. In contrast, there are certain taggers who have minimal football ability (we all know who some of them are) & therefore rely on illegal/unsociable behaviour to get the job done. These are the players that need to be umpired out of the game, because they are a blight on the game.

Bang on. What kid these days grows up even wanting to be a defender? Not only does no one notice you, it has basically turned into an impossible job.

Dunno about that statement. These days a lot of defenders are a key part of a team's offensive game plan. Look at Scarlett for example.

Secondly, at AFL level I'd say few of the lads grew up wanting to be a back-pocket .... that's where they end up because the've finally reached a level where they are no longer clearly one of the best 5 players in their team.

Besides if this is a war on taggers then we are talking about guys who play mid-field aren't we?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back