AFL Live 2 - bugs, glitches, fixes, suggestions

Remove this Banner Ad

Something which really annoys me are the backward disposals. Don't know if I'm doing something wrong. But you'll be in congestion and you'll start a chain of handballs forward -- from one player to the next to the next, etc. Then, suddenly, it'll fire a handball ten metres backwards. Don't know why it picks a player back there as an option. Occurs occasionally with kicks, too.

Have mentioned before, but bears mentioning again, the way the slightest physical pressure will smother (or fizzle) a disposal is ridiculous. In AFL Live you could crunch into an opponent and handball the ball out. Here, somebody touches you and the disposal dies on the spot. What's infuriating is it's a double standard. You'll crunch an opponent and they'll still get a perfect kick or handball out. Hate it when games create a disparity in skill level through double standards.

One thing that annoys me about both games is that when you're in possession of the ball, you want teammates to spread and spread hard. Instead, they run to the ball-carrier, so that when you handball it to them they end up in congestion with you and get tackled. So many times you'd just be away if your teammate ran in anticipate of receiving the ball and breaking the lines.

I emailed Tru Blu about the constantly suspended players glitch and asked whether they plan on releasing a patch. They said they're aware of the problem and are currently looking into it...so not much light shed on the matter unfortunately.

I emailed Tru Blu about the constantly suspended players glitch and asked whether they plan on releasing a patch. They said they're aware of the problem and are currently looking into it...so not much light shed on the matter unfortunately.
Or they're hoping people forget about it over cricket season and the problem just goes away.

They don't care. Would've thought that was obvious from how terrible the game is.

They don't care. Would've thought that was obvious from how terrible the game is.
Actually don't mind it. Plays differently to its predecessor, but once you get a run-on, it can work well.

There's a lot to clean-up, though:
  • frustrating when a game creates difficulty through double-standards; in this case, opposition/computer players can wear body pressure and get perfect disposal out. You get the lightest touch, your kick or handball fizzles.
  • players lose their footing too much, particularly after marks. Makes it too hard to play-on.
  • players turn their back on goal-side after a mark, to run back into position. Again, makes it hard to play on.
  • kicks/handballs which inexplicably go backwards, when that's not the intent.
  • X being the kick/tackle/mark button. Costs you when you're in a pack tackling, suddenly win the ball, and you unwittingly kcik.
  • forwards are ridiculously unmanned.
  • there really should be a 'snap' modifier when kicking for goal, as occurs with AFL Live.
Haven't really gotten stuck into the managerial side of the game, so can't comment on that.

Sounds as though i should not bother buying the current installment. Stick with AFL live?
I actually think it's okay. Think it does some things better than AFL Live, such as:
  • marking.
  • spoiling.
  • handballing.
  • kicking for goal (at least there's some skill element involved).
  • the fend-off/blind turn (although it can be a bit too powerful).
  • love the bump.
I've only whinged about it five times in this thread, but the inability for a player to wear any body contact is ridiculous. Kicks and handballs just fizzle whenever an opponent brushes you.

Things it does worse:
  • the gave the power meter a 'hump', e.g. it's very slow to get started, but then fires away rapidly. Should just be a steady speed, like in AFL Live.
  • possibly (partly) because you can't wear body contact, it's harder to link play, especially through congestion.
  • another reason for this is it's too hard to play on
  • players fall on the ground too often following marks (and often from very basic marks), which makes it impossible to play on
  • players turn their back on their goal-side after marks and run back to position, so you can't play on. (If a player did this in real life, they'd never play again.)
  • NO snap button. There's times it'll snap or banana and times it'll kick through the ball, so you'll miss the most basic shots. Major screw up.
  • stupid having kick/tackle/mark as the same button. You'll often kick indiscriminately when you're meant to be tackling.
  • opposition forwards are ridiculously unmanned. Even from centre clearances, when everybody should have an opponent, several forwards will be standing with nobody within metres of them. Other times, when they're counter-attacking, they'll have three or more forwards just standing alone in their F50.
The ruck alternation is ridiculous, especially since they patched the game recently. Have had games where once Jolly's been rested from the ruck and I haven't been able to get him back into it, with the computer deciding Jarryd Blair, Dale Thomas, and Clinton Young should all relief-ruck. Even when you manually make substitutions it doesn't always work (and sometimes those players will end up in other positions). AFL Live could also do that, taking the first guy from the bench and sticking him in the ruck, but this game takes it to extremes.

Honestly, how hard is it in these games to name a ruck, and to have an option to name the relief ruck, and to stick to only those two players? If somebody wants to go with a single ruckman, then so be it -- just have the game run that player into the ground and struggling to move once fatigue hits.

They should do the same things with mids, that when you pick your team you pick the mids and the guys who'll rotate through the midfield. The only thing that should impact these choices and require reshuffling is injury.

Hmm. Maybe it's me, but playing season mode seems to rotate the ruck from Jolly to Reid and back in my game.

What irritates me (at least off the top of my head) is when a player goes to scoop up a bouncing ball heading for goal, only for their pick-up animation to carry them over the line for a rushed behind. Oh and also how a player celebrating a goal will clip through the goal umpire.

Ive been thinking for yrs that there needs to be a game that takes the best of afl live and premiership coach and makes one epuc afl game ... gives me the s**** that no one game maker can get afl right :mad: also player ratings and positions are up the wazoo ... havnt got to TP yet but I'm sure ill find more frustrating aspects of the game.

Having said that i still enjoy it but it could be sooo much better!!

If you push L2 whilst rucking, your ruckman (even if it puts in the wrong player) will win pretty much every contest, thumping the ball clear to your mid, for an immediate clearance, and usually a shot at goal.

Three other things, which have to do with ill-thought out design:
  • when you get reports of players fatigued, injured, or inchanged, often those graphic labels appear right over play and make it difficult to see what's going on.
  • when kicking for goal, there are times players (or even the ump) will run right over the power meter, so you can't see what's going on.
  • when kicking (for goal) from a tight spot in the boundary, the power meter is lost behind the fence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems from comments here I might be alone in having this problem, but my game keeps crashing. It's on Xbox. Any time I try to get the sub on, screen freezes. Doesn't matter which team/player. Has anyone else experienced this?

On ps3 i havnt experienced it freezing when i activate the sub but its pretty rare that i get to do that - i usually have one injured player per match and they go straight to the bench so i can't sub them out. I've tried putting the injured player back on the ground to sub him but by the time he cones back on i don't get a chance to do it before he comes straight back off .... pain in the ass really ...

i find having the clearance kick and goal kick button being the same is a disaster, player gets ball at 45degs to goal about 30m out, press goal kick/clearance button and player kicks it straight, out of bounds on the full...

I'm surprised at how much better the patch has made the game but there's still a fair bit of work to be done.
  • Option to map your own controls
  • Players should try to avoid having their back to the ball when getting to a contest
  • Players should be able to spoil a mark when running side on into a contest (it's always a mark to the person standing there)
  • Handballing is inconsistent (sometimes goes straight to your player, other times goes right past him)
  • Midfielders are always in the same positions at ruck contests, they also don't try to get to the ball quickly enough
  • Less falling over while marking and tackling
  • Getting tackled effects kicking too much (although it still should effect it a bit)
  • when kicking for goal, there are times players (or even the ump) will run right over the power meter, so you can't see what's going on.
  • when kicking (for goal) from a tight spot in the boundary, the power meter is lost behind the fence.

I can't believe that this happens. Surely it's just common sense to put power meters in front of everything else.

I actually think it's okay. Think it does some things better than AFL Live, such as:
  • marking.
  • spoiling.
  • handballing.
  • kicking for goal (at least there's some skill element involved).
  • the fend-off/blind turn (although it can be a bit too powerful).
  • love the bump.
I've only whinged about it five times in this thread, but the inability for a player to wear any body contact is ridiculous. Kicks and handballs just fizzle whenever an opponent brushes you.

Things it does worse:
  • the gave the power meter a 'hump', e.g. it's very slow to get started, but then fires away rapidly. Should just be a steady speed, like in AFL Live.
  • possibly (partly) because you can't wear body contact, it's harder to link play, especially through congestion.
  • another reason for this is it's too hard to play on
  • players fall on the ground too often following marks (and often from very basic marks), which makes it impossible to play on
  • players turn their back on their goal-side after marks and run back to position, so you can't play on. (If a player did this in real life, they'd never play again.)
  • NO snap button. There's times it'll snap or banana and times it'll kick through the ball, so you'll miss the most basic shots. Major screw up.
  • stupid having kick/tackle/mark as the same button. You'll often kick indiscriminately when you're meant to be tackling.
  • opposition forwards are ridiculously unmanned. Even from centre clearances, when everybody should have an opponent, several forwards will be standing with nobody within metres of them. Other times, when they're counter-attacking, they'll have three or more forwards just standing alone in their F50.
The ruck alternation is ridiculous, especially since they patched the game recently. Have had games where once Jolly's been rested from the ruck and I haven't been able to get him back into it, with the computer deciding Jarryd Blair, Dale Thomas, and Clinton Young should all relief-ruck. Even when you manually make substitutions it doesn't always work (and sometimes those players will end up in other positions). AFL Livecould also do that, taking the first guy from the bench and sticking him in the ruck, but this game takes it to extremes.

Honestly, how hard is it in these games to name a ruck, and to have an option to name the relief ruck, and to stick to only those two players? If somebody wants to go with a single ruckman, then so be it -- just have the game run that player into the ground and struggling to move once fatigue hits.

They should do the same things with mids, that when you pick your team you pick the mids and the guys who'll rotate through the midfield. The only thing that should impact these choices and require reshuffling is injury.

I'm sorry mate but I actually LOLe'd when I read the highlighted in bold. That is very funny.

To avoid mids ect playing in the ruck, you need your relief ruckman in the first slot on the bench .... i took me a while but figured it out haha

I meant in your starting line up. Eg i start with maric as my starting ruck with vickery or mcbean in the first bench.slot and it will swap between the 2 as they get fatigued.

Works for me anyway ...

I meant in your starting line up. Eg i start with maric as my starting ruck with vickery or mcbean in the first bench.slot and it will swap between the 2 as they get fatigued.

Works for me anyway ...

Yeah, works for me too. I still occasionally get midfeilders in the ruck but if you change it back to having 1 ruckman in the ruck and the other on the 1st bench spot it goes back to normal.

Yeah, works for me too. I still occasionally get midfeilders in the ruck but if you change it back to having 1 ruckman in the ruck and the other on the 1st bench spot it goes back to normal.
Yeah, I've done that, but -- as mentioned here -- will still rotate mids through the ruck. At some point, too, the ruckmen actually get outside the rotations, and end up elsewhere.

At least in AFL Live, it put the player with the next-best ruck rating in the ruck (well, most of the time -- Didak once appeared in the ruck for me).

Still, as I mentioned elsewhere, how difficult would it be to anoint your two ruckmen in team selection, to avoid this sort of thing continuously happening.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back