Preview AFL NAB Challenge 1 - Gold Coast v Geelong, Tony Ireland Stadium, 3:40PM (local) Sunday 1 March

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How was the stream, did it pause or stop at any point? I tried it last pre-season and it wasn't the best.
UPDATE

Tried streaming the first half of the game last night from my phone (Galaxy S4) to the TV via Chromecast. All worked really well. There was one point where it froze up early, which seemed to be a Chromecast (or maybe WiFi) issue, but after about 5 seconds it corrected itself and didn't have any further issues. Quality was decent without being superb. I want to have another go streaming from the Nexus 7 (missus wanted the TV at half time) but assume quality will be about the same.

Bluestacks I couldn't get to work at all with the AFL video streaming. For the first half the video wouldn't load, and I tried again in the second half and it kept stuttering and the sound was corrupted, so I gave up.

Bates is a rookie probably on the lowest rookie wage scale.

A spot yes ( rookie) but not on the senior list and hardly big money…( big AFL money)
Still clearing out he TV venom tanks are we or have you found the new voodoo doll ?:cool:

Go Catters

Interesting that te player he hates on seem to have one thing in common...

ChookNorris, I'd prefer to think that your full of shit re Hartman ;). Has your inside source said if he's likely to play any pre-season matches?
I wouldn't think so at this stage, but with the system the club has put in place to help him he could always go above and beyond and regain his spot

I have no knowledge of the Hartman stuff other than what has been in the media.

What i like to see thought is that while the club will support players thru issues ( injuries or off the field situations) there appears also to be a limit to the rope they will give.

If, and I have no reason to not believe the stuff listed here, there have been more issues, then good to see the club limit the number of chances.

Billie got his hand slapped. Caddy and Smedts were dumb and got slapped.

Varcoe and Bundy found new homes.

Hopefully, with Hartman having had one thing go public, perhaps another one or two get held back, he makes the right choices now going forward.

Im sure Catsmaninamerica has some thoughts.

Go Catters

Daz - I've been on the road in several countries the last 3 months - hence I haven't been around these boards much. Also means I haven't had my ear to the ground back in Aus. I'll have to message a couple of cousins and mates back home and see if I can find out what this is all about. If true it's a shame. Brad is from Murray Bridge, which is a shit hole. Be a real shame to
End up living back there at te age of 21 with 5 games and a bag of regrets.

Oh and for whoever made the comment about the club "putting up with" bundy and TV's behaviour for years. This is completely revisionist. Bundy quickly "spiralled" it wasn't for years. It happened quickly over the last several months and he is now well on track again. And TV never had behavioural issues. His issues were relationship issues - no need to make broad statements that lead the average reader to assume it's because "those aboriginals just can't behave like the rest of us"

Ugh... heckin'g rednecks.

UPDATE

Tried streaming the first half of the game last night from my phone (Galaxy S4) to the TV via Chromecast. All worked really well. There was one point where it froze up early, which seemed to be a Chromecast (or maybe WiFi) issue, but after about 5 seconds it corrected itself and didn't have any further issues. Quality was decent without being superb. I want to have another go streaming from the Nexus 7 (missus wanted the TV at half time) but assume quality will be about the same.

Bluestacks I couldn't get to work at all with the AFL video streaming. For the first half the video wouldn't load, and I tried again in the second half and it kept stuttering and the sound was corrupted, so I gave up.

I might try it.

I noticed that the AFL app is unavailable on Android tv. I have the Kogan smart tv dongle in another tv, so may give that a go.

I also have Telstra tbox. There's an app on there that lets you watch completed games. Not great if your mates are texting results to you.

I might just stick with watching on my galaxy note

Daz - I've been on the road in several countries the last 3 months - hence I haven't been around these boards much. Also means I haven't had my ear to the ground back in Aus. I'll have to message a couple of cousins and mates back home and see if I can find out what this is all about. If true it's a shame. Brad is from Murray Bridge, which is a shit hole. Be a real shame to
End up living back there at te age of 21 with 5 games and a bag of regrets.

Oh and for whoever made the comment about the club "putting up with" bundy and TV's behaviour for years. This is completely revisionist. Bundy quickly "spiralled" it wasn't for years. It happened quickly over the last several months and he is now well on track again. And TV never had behavioural issues. His issues were relationship issues - no need to make broad statements that lead the average reader to assume it's because "those aboriginals just can't behave like the rest of us"

Ugh... heckin'g rednecks.
Youre referencing me I assume, I find it quite offensive that in the same breath you are suggesting I was hinting at race being an issue, completely ridiculous. As for varcoe and chistensen their gambling problems have been well known for a while by many on this board, and the club was trying to do as much as they could to keep Christensen despite and offield issues because he was a fantastic players, conversely TV was shopped at nearly every trade period for the last few years.

We could debate good money and ordinary. Someone in Bali would say we are all on good money. Compared to an NBA player , Rookies are beggars on the street.

An average wage in Aust is X and they earn above that , its good money I guess but in a system where what they do , and what they risk , and its done a mega million dollar industry , where pay is controlled for Rookies and 1st and 2nd year draftees by the AFL , while all players on the list , who work beside you divey up 10Million dollars..... , and this for Rookies who are probably even less secure in their job.

I fell that the bottom group can get a bit more of the pie.

I haven't looked at it for a while but the last time I did a Rookie that did not play games would not be on that much anyway.

Regarding the rookie wages, they have done a lot to recitify the short falls in their base wage from just a few years ago; this is from the AFLPA CPA agreement:

In 2011, the minimum rookie salary was $35,000 – only moderately above the Australian minimum wage. In recognition of the work undertaken by rookies and their contribution to their teams, a step change will occur over the next three years ensuring by 2014 the minimum rookie wage is just 10% less than a player drafted onto the primary list.

And that comes down to: in 2012 a 17% increase $41k, 2013 a 19% increase to $49k, 2014 a 9% increase to 54k and this year a 3% increase to 55k, with next year seeing another 3% increase to 57k.

Youre referencing me I assume, I find it quite offensive that in the same breath you are suggesting I was hinting at race being an issue, completely ridiculous. As for varcoe and chistensen their gambling problems have been well known for a while by many on this board, and the club was trying to do as much as they could to keep Christensen despite and offield issues because he was a fantastic players, conversely TV was shopped at nearly every trade period for the last few years.

Not sure where you get your info by TV's issues weren't gambling. And yep bundy has a gambling habit that's not great- I setting active help in that area now by the way. And FYI bundys issue that lead to him not being at Geelong wasn't actually the gambling. By te time he was traded that was in hand, with counselling and a high profile ex footballer taking him under his wing. There was and is a much bigger issue at play.

So the problem I have with your post is that you made sweeping generalisations - in a way that lumped 3 aboriginal players together, and what that does is helps perpetuate 1960 style negative stereotypes. You wrote in a way tht leaves the reader feeling like you're really on the inner sanctum, but from the inaccuracies you post it's clear you're not. So yes - your post was rubbish.

Not sure where you get your info by TV's issues weren't gambling. And yep bundy has a gambling habit that's not great- I setting active help in that area now by the way. And FYI bundys issue that lead to him not being at Geelong wasn't actually the gambling. By te time he was traded that was in hand, with counselling and a high profile ex footballer taking him under his wing. There was and is a much bigger issue at play.

So the problem I have with your post is that you made sweeping generalisations - in a way that lumped 3 aboriginal players together, and what that does is helps perpetuate 1960 style negative stereotypes. You wrote in a way tht leaves the reader feeling like you're really on the inner sanctum, but from the inaccuracies you post it's clear you're not. So yes - your post was rubbish.
Lumping players on race was not my intention, but feel free to keep trying to tack that on. TV had relationship issues, things like a gambling problem tend to put strain on a relationship relationship.

A more accurate grouping of these 3 players were two players who are no longer at the club and one who is likely to join them due to offield issues... Which was my intention

Can't delist him...I have us already cycling 8-10 players if things go badly with plenty of injury prone players and old boys. Unless next years draft is as deep as 120 we could be in a pickle.

Quick back of the hand worst case guesses:
Injuries: Bates, Vardy, Menzel, Cowan, Simpson
Old: Enright, Stevie J, Rivers, HMac, Kelly, Mackie
Too cheeky: Hartman
No good: Blease

Next year: Stokes, Lonergan, Bartel

Smedts job security keeps getting better. We could have over half a squad with 0-10 games. And no real high picks because we might accidentally win the whole bloody thing this year. Madness.

My kingdom for some 23-25 year olds with 70+ games.

Edit: Forgot Mackie. We can't afford to win the flag!! Would make too perfect a retirement moment for too many players.
I like the "accidentally win the whole bloody thing this year" part of your post the best, ButterMill :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Regarding the rookie wages, they have done a lot to recitify the short falls in their base wage from just a few years ago; this is from the AFLPA CPA agreement:

In 2011, the minimum rookie salary was $35,000 – only moderately above the Australian minimum wage. In recognition of the work undertaken by rookies and their contribution to their teams, a step change will occur over the next three years ensuring by 2014 the minimum rookie wage is just 10% less than a player drafted onto the primary list.

And that comes down to: in 2012 a 17% increase $41k, 2013 a 19% increase to $49k, 2014 a 9% increase to 54k and this year a 3% increase to 55k, with next year seeing another 3% increase to 57k.

That's bugger all coin.

What can I say TC - Footy starved and the bloody AFL decide to ruin my viewing experience trying to force me into Foxtel - I wont be bought :)

Actually that's not the right way to put it - it's the principle of the thing - big business, corporate greed and all that - they're not getting a red cent from me - ever!
WAG are you online?

My intent was not to spark a fight.

Let's just hope for everyone's sake that the change of scenery works for TV.
That the location alteration and non fishbowl of Geelong helps Bundy get right

And that Hartmans step or two back allows for many more steps forward in the future.

After all, we are talking about peoples lives here. They are people first and players second.

Nothing says that they can't be great people and great players for GFC at some point.

Clearly now more interest in Hartman than the other two.

Go Catters

Some people have no clue how much damage depression can do.

What are some of the things being said exactly?
People who resort to bullying on the internet are most likely timid and insecure individuals in person. It's like those rage rage idiots who tailgate in the comfort of their own car.

Me too, maybe my favourite young player aside from my comedic love of gregson. Hopefully he pulls his head in. Or becomes good enough a player that the club tolerates it like the did for varcoe and Christensen
So he's got an alcohol problem does he Chook?

Not tacking anything on. Merely pointing out that you are a causal racist.
I'm going to disagree, but hey, think whatever you want. Go read through my posts, nothing remotely racist about any of them until you decided to draw this long bow. If it hadve even entered my mind that my earlier post would have got this reaction from you I would have used Steve Johnson as an example of a player slightly improving his off field issues and remaining with the club, or mattew Stokes, or would mentoring another indigenous player given you more fuel for this attack on my posting intent.

I don't think ppl hate Bates, they just over retaining players that always seem to be injured. In Nics defense at least he played, Y keep someone that missed the year injured over a guy that played and by some posters showed something? I don't know the answer to that, but I do know I support and am a 10 year member of a club that does.
I do get where people are coming from, regarding injured players + why. However, look at Rooke, sent to Germany for his hammy + he was one of the most dedicated, tough players I've seen. It was certainly worth investing in him + nursing him through his injury. I'd even go so far as to say that Rooke's retirement had a huge impact on the team, I mean, who wouldn't snap a Rooke-esque player up or donate a kidney to have him play for Geelong again?

I've asked the question, without it being answered - has Geelong suffered an esp bad time with injuries, more so than other Clubs? It does seem we have an eternity of inured players in perpetual rehab. Surely we're due for the tide to turn?

Crisis averted - sorry for my rant

Looks like I can mirror after all - just didn't have the option on - what a dick I am sometimes :)

Screen is smaller than last year, i.e has border, but should be watchable. I'll refrain from shooting my mouth off next time until I work it out.
Not at all WAG - you found it + thanks to you I was able to show MrApple how to scroll down to find it, so thanks + I think you're astonishingly clever, even if that's not much, coming from me lol

I agree, but how do we know what bates gives? How do we know if he can withstand afl? Hell can he even run? I suppose we have to trust the boys in charge, and that's what I'll do

He looked very nippy in his first preseason , just the "Michael Walters" type that we desperately need IMO
Looks like he will go the way of unfulfilled potential due to injury proneness - a tune we are all too familiar with at the Cattery :(

I do not think the Rhys injury is much more than a hot spot but im a little bit over the feet injuries. Is our ground too hard?
Hartman? Punishment for what. The driving thing? Well we will see in the next couple of games I guess. Probably more important for Smedts and Blease to show "pickme" type form.
Could it be the petrified remains of the Hawk + Magpie, plus other GF memorabilia buried beneath it?

How does KP compare with MCG, Etihad + other grounds? We did discuss this a bit last night, (ANZ being a paddock) but thinking a bit about it, Tom Harley said the players preferred SCG to ANZ. Wondering if it is the case with other grounds. Didn't Etihad have its surface replaced a few years ago? You might have hit something there TC. Players may need better impact fluro boots lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back