AFL overtaking NRL in QLD

Remove this Banner Ad

The other thing is the stadium location, Southport is a better location, at least the train line is within 15 min walk.
I also would have preferred Southport to have been stepped up to the AFL, but it's uncertain whether they would have continued to play at Fankhauser Reserve. Remember the government had agreed to upgrade Carrara, firstly as an interim home for the Titans and then for the Suns (and then for the Commonwealth Games). Would they really have pumped in the money to make Fankhauser Reserve big enough for a full-time AFL team?

Anyone who thinks that the biggest NRL home and away game ever beating the AFL 4 to 1 in Brisbane is evidence of some unassailable ascendancy hasn't a clue. It says the opposite

The 16 to 39 demographics were about 3 to 1.

Participation in SEQ is pretty close to equal now.

Remember, Australian football would not need to get to where rugby league is now. It just needs to meet halfway with rugby league going in the opposite direction.

Very possible by 2050.

Anyone who thinks that the biggest NRL home and away game ever beating the AFL 4 to 1 in Brisbane is evidence of some unassailable ascendancy hasn't a clue. It says the opposite

Remember, Australian football would not need to get to where rugby league is now. It just needs to meet halfway with rugby league going in the opposite direction.

Very possible by 2050.
2050 the Suns would still be yet to make the finals

FsIAHX5akAA2Zf2

They have definitely got the right idea with setting a goal of more coach education. Its one thing to have good participation numbers in juniors, but only a quality coaching system can bring about quality level players. This is needed to translate participation levels into greater representation of QLD players in draft years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Auskick kids in Brisbane do 6-8 weeks of Auskick then after the Easter holidays get the chance to play "Superstars" for 8-12 weeks when the youth and junior grades start so they get a full year of development as so many are new to the game or have switched from rugby.

AFL junior costs are half the price of playing junior rugby and one third the cost of playing soccer which is also a factor for parents in the suburbs where I live.

Very possible by 2050.
Highly unlikely with the nrl looking to add more Queensland teams in the short to medium term yes the afl is growing in Queensland but it’s not overtaking the Nrl . People should have learned buy now that quoting Auskick and junior numbers have very little correlation with actual feet on the ground support or tv ratings

I don't think it will ever overtake, the northern media will never allow that to happen, however I do think the AFL can carve out a bigger peice of the pie, something that seems to be happening slowly but surely. The AFL also need the suns to finally produce on field, it's very frustrating how much that stagnates potential reach in QLD.

Auskick kids in Brisbane do 6-8 weeks of Auskick then after the Easter holidays get the chance to play "Superstars" for 8-12 weeks when the youth and junior grades start so they get a full year of development as so many are new to the game or have switched from rugby.

AFL junior costs are half the price of playing junior rugby and one third the cost of playing soccer which is also a factor for parents in the suburbs where I live.
Yeah basketball is like $300 and Auskick is something like $60 or $80 I think.

I don't think it will ever overtake, the northern media will never allow that to happen, however I do think the AFL can carve out a bigger peice of the pie, something that seems to be happening slowly but surely. The AFL also need the suns to finally produce on field, it's very frustrating how much that stagnates potential reach in QLD.
Both The Brisbane Lions and Sydney Swans get much bigger crowds that the Storm do in Melbourne and CH 9 don't put the Storm matches in prime time in Melbourne very often as the don't rate very well!

Totally agree - Consider this - The media in the AFL States give blanket coverage so why would the NRL States media be any different.

As usual the NRL are making defensive moves to stop the AFL incursion, instead of expanding into new markets. Their concern over QLD tells you the AFL must be making some good inroads there.

That as well as the leagiues getting even more upset any time the AFL is mentioned these days, threat levels gone from amber to red perhaps 😅.

Indeed. It’s time for the NRL to expand into WA and SA.

Indeed. It’s time for the NRL to expand into WA and SA.
Don’t think there’s a market in SA . But Wa has been looked at closely before industry think it will happen eventually there’s a large expat kiwi and islander population over there and plenty of corporate money through the mining it will probably take a new rectangular stadium though

Don’t think there’s a market in SA . But Wa has been looked at closely before industry think it will happen eventually there’s a large expat kiwi and islander population over there and plenty of corporate money through the mining it will probably take a new rectangular stadium though
WA definitely an option although it’s seems A South Pacific Team aligned with the NTH Sydney Bears will be the next team in

Remove this Banner Ad

Back