AFL players who smoke

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

It was the norm back in the day.

Wouldn't have thought many if any would smoke regularly while playin AFL, they simply wouldn't be able to keep up with the demands of fitness and everything else.

On weekend though there would be more than a few who after a few drinks do a bit of social smoking.
Post needs to be read again, the majority of players don't even drink during the season, let alone smoke. There is absolutely no way that any professional athlete playing such a physically demanding sport would smoke during a season. Yeah I beleive posters saying they saw such and such having a dart but it would only be on their off season when ( for the only time they can) let their hair down. This is the reason most afl players tend to stuff up in the post season as they haven't had a sip for 9 months then smash down piss like men possessed and make absolute pricks of themselves which like most of us have done at one time in our younger days

Busted my coach at the time, big Shaun Rehn smashing a durrie behind the groundsmans shed upon returning after painting the lines on the oval. His face was priceless, looked like he'd been busted having a flog not a smoke. Anyway, after lol I said "I hope you weren't on the darts at the hawks mate". Had a peculiar smoking style, thumb, index and forefinger holding it, dunno how he never burnt his giant hands. Glad I got a trade. Painting lines.....ugh

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I saw Chis Masten and Daniel Kerr having a durry a few years back just after the season had finished at the pub.
I was surprised. Ciggies! Far out!

What's the go with Stanton? Everybody says he smashes darts... Surely can't be true? He's essendons best runner!

I doubt there'd be any current players that go through 2-3 packs a week like a full-time smoker would. They simply wouldn't be able to keep up.

As for players that might have a couple of darts when they're blind drunk on a Saturday night or over the off season, well I reckon there'd be plenty of them. Colin Sylvia was one, unsurprisingly!

Max Gawn apparently is/was one too. No wonder he could never get his fitness base up what with that and the knee reco's. I think he may have given up now though which accounts for his improved performance last year and this off-season.

Stanton probably started when he was getting booed by his own supporters a few years ago to relieve the stress. I've seen Crawf smoke since he retired, not sure if he did so during his playing days though I doubt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back