Tasmania AFL privately seething at Hawthorn and to a lesser extent North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah. Hawthorn are one of the top 4 clubs in Victoria and are big enough to spread to Tassie as well. Hawthorn have more members, more premierships, more turnover, more profit than Richmond so Id say maybe looks elsewhere. :D

so big you had to relocate to save you merging to survive.

so big you had to relocate to save you merging to survive.

Relocating our HQ to Waverly was an astute business decision. We are now looking atb taking the next step, just as you're mob finally catch up to our decade old facility we go again and leave you;) in out wake

Last edited:

Pretty sure the AFL was planning to relocate some club to Tassie and Hawthorn got in the way.
Of course if Hawthorn start going bad on-field and financially dont be surprised if the AFL nominates them to be relocated to Tasmania

With $35m in net assets, land at Dingley, and facilities at Waverley and Caroline Springs that's not going to happen anytime soon :)

It only hurts because it's true.
Mate, your only excuse for this continuous stream of shite is that you're actually only 14.

If you're only 14, I apologise. But you need to understand that we're not moving to Tasmania ever. Also remember that the Tassie government gives us squillions to play in a fortress. And don't forget to brush your teeth and wear clean underpants every day in case you get hit by a car.

If you're an adult though...sheesh...

"AFL tries to stir up fresh, but safe, controversy to draw attention away from serious concerns over current administration's ability to govern. Stay tuned to the official AFL website for more shockingly mild revelations"

This will be extremely controversial and unpopular, but as I said elsewhere, I personally think it'd be great for the league and for football in general if Hawthorn and North Melbourne merged to become the Tassie Hawks, and officially relocated to Tasmania and split their home games between Hobart and Launceston.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This suits the AFL fine despite what they may say publicly. It means that there is a deal in place which means there is no chance of a team from Tassie until these deals expire.

If the AFL was serious about a team from Tassie it would've happened. They can come out with all the excuses they want to but the truth is they just don't care because they already have market saturation in Tasmania. Whilst growth potential isn't really there it does create an environment where they are ripe for other sports to come in. Tasmanians might follow Hawthorn or North, but they would dump them in a flash for a true Tasmanian side (ie not a relocated Victorian team)

This will be extremely controversial and unpopular, but as I said elsewhere, I personally think it'd be great for the league and for football in general if Hawthorn and North Melbourne merged to become the Tassie Hawks, and officially relocated to Tasmania and split their home games between Hobart and Launceston.

Good troll is good troll.

If only Hawthorn could lose squillions on pubs :(

In Hawthorns case it's the Tasmanian Government sponsoring them. $20m over 5 years, 4 games per year + 1 pre-season game for Hawthorn. They've won 20 of the last 21 games there. Started with 3000 members now 9000. They've also been getting bonuses for making finals. They get $1m extra if they win the GF this year. People may laugh at them but they started this in 2006 and look at where they are now. 2006 - 28,003 members, 2015 - 72,913 members, 3 flags, 4 grand final appearances and a new training facility coming. I wouldn't laugh at the "Tassie Hawks".

http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/2014-11-19/hawks-announce-2014-financial-result

Now you might wonder why I bothered quoting how well we are going finacially in a premiership year, but the underlined point regarding the HFC Foundation is what I wanted to highlight. In the post meger years the HFC Foundation was formed "with the aim of financially securing the Club’s future".

This is the nest Egg that protects a repeat of the mismanagement int he early 90's that saw us face the vote.

Basically, your lot are more likely to relocate than us ;-)
Welcome back.

Melbourne and Collingwood should merge to become the Northern Magpies and officially relocate to the Northern Territory and split their home games between Alice Springs and Darwin. It would be great for the league and football in genral.

I don't get what's so wrong with 2 teams using the home away from home model in the 2 different towns.

The financial case for a full time team just doesn't seem to be there to me. Not when they'll have to play some crazy mix (somewhere between 8-3 and 6-5) between the two towns and as a relocated team (more than likely) have to work very hard to win over support.

The current model seems practical to me and if I were the AFL I'd encourage teams and those in Tassie to sign longer term agreements.

If you take the AFL out of the equation, it really boils down to whether the other stakeholders are happy with the arrangement. Hawthorn put a lot of effort into their Tassie presence, but they don't do it out of good will - they do it because otherwise the AFL would schedule their dud games at Etihad Stadium and they'd lose money, and the Tassie govt pay them a handsome sum to play there. As far as the people of Tassie go, I'm not one so I have no idea if they're happy having 4/11th of Hawthorn each year forever or whether they want their own team outright - be it a relocated or brand new club. As far as the Tassie financials go, I don't know how much money York Park makes per game for the state, how much exposure the sponsorship brings etc. but someone might come along and say that it doesn't make economic sense for Tassie. If that day came then no sponsorship = no Hawthorn. Are Hawthorn fans, board members, players etc. happy to keep playing in Tassie forever or is there a goal to gain financial stability (which they have) then bail?

My hunch (and that's all it is) is that all parties would be happiest if Hawthorn played 11 games at the MCG and Tassie had its own team based there permanently.

Melbourne and Collingwood should merge to become the Northern Magpies and officially relocate to the Northern Territory and split their home games between Alice Springs and Darwin. It would be great for the league and football in general.

Hey, it probably would.

I'd favour Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs for such a merger and move, though.

In Hawthorns case it's the Tasmanian Government sponsoring them. $20m over 5 years, 4 games per year + 1 pre-season game for Hawthorn. They've won 20 of the last 21 games there. Started with 3000 members now 9000. They've also been getting bonuses for making finals. They get $1m extra if they win the GF this year. People may laugh at them but they started this in 2006 and look at where they are now. 2006 - 28,003 members, 2015 - 72,913 members, 3 flags, 4 grand final appearances and a new training facility coming. I wouldn't laugh at the "Tassie Hawks".

But they have relocated to Tasmania. It has to be said. All their premierships have asterisks, they have all been government funded subsidies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back