Preview AFL Round 6 - Port Adelaide v Geelong, Adelaide Oval, Sunday 27 April

Predict the result

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember though, the big difference is last year he was playing as a ruckman, and wasn't really expected to get much of the ball; anything was a bonus. This year, he HAS to get disposals. Much tougher assignment.
Am I right in thinking if he went back to the two's this week he would be required in the ruck again, they would be short there especially if Walker was promoted.That's not going to help him.

Am I right in thinking if he went back to the two's this week he would be required in the ruck again, they would be short there especially if Walker was promoted.That's not going to help him.

I would not mind if he played 4 quarters on the wing in the VFL as well. At least it's one position to develop in. I did think of the VFL ruck stocks the other day and was probably in favour at the time, but if he's never going to play there I'd try to resist.

I would not mind if he played 4 quarters on the wing in the VFL as well. At least it's one position to develop in. I did think of the VFL ruck stocks the other day and was probably in favour at the time, but if he's never going to play there I'd try to resist.

I may be wrong, like on that day in 1974, but I don't think he's going back to the 2nds.

Remember though, the big difference is last year he was playing as a ruckman, and wasn't really expected to get much of the ball; anything was a bonus. This year, he HAS to get disposals. Much tougher assignment.

So are you ready to write him off after 5 rounds when we're 5-0? I'm not, but I can see both sides of the arguement, for sure, but it's premature to start bagging him at this stage. While I don't think Blitz will ever be an A-grader, I think he could develop into a handy B-grader. Time will tell, I suppose. Let's give the guy a chance eh?

To late for this year but I believe it's time for the club to move on from Blits and Walker as ruck stock,I hope they already have a target identified as back up for next year.

But don't the players have to do other stuff also, like getting hold of the pill, taking marks, kicking goals, setting up goals, you know, all the unimportant things? ;)

Check out post #264 above, perefectly sums up Blicavs situation.

The other players do.

Tell me, what is Blicavs instructed to do?

IMO, which has been formed by watching us live, with a "wow look at this bloke run" tainted view, his role is unique and cant be defined yet. They are utilising his tank while he develops his positioning.

If he needs "grunt work" practice, then send him to the VFL.

Personally I dont see how he is being used right now as needing VFL development. He may at some point, but atm he would just run rings around them.

When he was dropped to the VFL last year for Simpson he was in the ruck and he was no better for it.

While we are winning i see no reason to drop him. He may be a statistical liability atm, but if the MC can see his potential and aerobic assets as good as i can, and are willing to persist, i dont see why he shouldnt be playing.

Who matches up well on him?

Who will ever, once he starts getting the ball as a KPP or mid or both or superman?

So are you ready to write him off after 5 rounds when we're 5-0? I'm not, but I can see both sides of the arguement, for sure, but it's premature to start bagging him at this stage. While I don't think Blitz will ever be an A-grader, I think he could develop into a handy B-grader. Time will tell, I suppose. Let's give the guy a chance eh?

I love either/or arguments. So just because you think a player isn't best 22 right now, that they've been written off? Interesting. Doesn't augur well for Jackson Thurlow then. Or Joel Hamling.

For one thing, plenty of players on our list have been dropped while the team has been winning, so it's nothing new. I would be curious though, why Blicavs and seemingly only Blicavs cannot be dropped under any circumstances. Even though he's offering nothing to the team right now.

He's absolutely entitled to more chances. He is also required to produce a certain standard in the seniors - just like everyone else. And when he isn't doing that he develops further in the VFL. Just like everyone else.

I may be wrong, like on that day in 1974, but I don't think he's going back to the 2nds.

I hope not.
With the guys coming back id hate for someone like Murdoch to lose his spot while blicavs keeps his.
The first 2 are pretty easy, sherringham and burbury (I like burbs but he's holding onto Bundy or motlops spot no doubt) and the third for me is blicavs.

Well, 44 touches generally achieves more than 8. Or more accurately, 19 and 25 each achieve more.

Having said that, I don't actually know for sure whether Blicavs was playing directly on either Smith or Hill...

Really?

From where i was sitting the hawks would string about 6 lovely little passes consecutively and only move the ball forward 50m only to have it turned over because we only ever let them have one option to go to at a time.

Do this 8 times and you have achieved 48 disposals and absolutely nothing else.

Motlop,Christensen,Caddy to come back big call Fred.

There'll be injuries, there'll be rests, but I think Burbury/Murdoch/Blicavs are in for good unless they are dropped for a specific bit of re-learning. Smedts would have been in that list, too, but now he might have to work his way back in.
And that's apart from the tryouts for Brown, Sheringham, Walker, and maybe Bews, Stringer, Shroder, as well as Thurlow when and if he hits form. Apart from the newbies.
We needed the 5-0 start.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope not.
With the guys coming back id hate for someone like Murdoch to lose his spot while blicavs keeps his.
The first 2 are pretty easy, sherryingham and burbury (I like burbs but he's holding into Bundy or motlops spot no doubt) and the third for me is blicavs.
That's what I was thinking but reality is others will miss games so unless some one else comes out of the woodwork Freds in a pretty strong position.
I've got to learn to key quicker Fred:)

Who says this is what he has to do?

If anything i see it the other way.

When ruck/mid in 2013 he should get more disposals than in 2014 as an outside running opportunist.

Purely because he should not be near the congested contest.

There'll be injuries, there'll be rests, but I think Burbury/Murdoch/Blicavs are in for good unless they are dropped for a specific bit of re-learning. Smedts would have been in that list, too, but now he might have to work his way back in.
And that's apart from the tryouts for Brown, Sheringham, Walker, and maybe Bews, Stringer, Shroder, as well as Thurlow when and if he hits form. Apart from the newbies.
We needed the 5-0 start.

I reckon Murdoch is just about certain best 22 at the moment.
Just needs to clean up a few little things but he's coming along nicely.
Their gameplan is somewhat built around what he brings.

I reckon Murdoch is just about certain best 22 at the moment.
Just needs to clean up a few little things but he's coming along nicely.
Their gameplan is somewhat built around what he brings.

I think we're not going to field our "best 22" until the finals, and possibly not even then.
The MC is going to be doing trade-offs between winning and renewal, and the renewal will involve playing designated future players virtually full-time.
They didn't sack Chapman and Pods for the hell of it.

I think we're not going to field our "best 22" until the finals, and possibly not even then.
The MC is going to be doing trade-offs between winning and renewal, and the renewal will involve playing designated future players virtually full-time.
They didn't sack Chapman and Pods for the hell of it.

What if it costs us games? And finals (again)?

True! Ruck ain't a hard gig ... get a few taps, take a mark or two. Blitz has looked lost the last few games. A stint in VFL wouldn't hurt. To let him find a niche, work on his skills/ decision making. Problem is that VFL has a number of developing KPPs as well, Where would he go ? May be just as lost as in the seniors.

True! Ruck ain't a hard gig ... get a few taps, take a mark or two. Blitz has looked lost the last few games. A stint in VFL wouldn't hurt. To let him find a niche, work on his skills/ decision making. Problem is that VFL has a number of developing KPPs as well, Where would he go ? May be just as lost as in the seniors.

I would have thought wing. He's played there (despite what some choose to think) all season. Every pre-season game and every home and away game. It's actually been the one positive - they've left him in one spot.

I love either/or arguments. So just because you think a player isn't best 22 right now, that they've been written off? Interesting. Doesn't augur well for Jackson Thurlow then. Or Joel Hamling.

For one thing, plenty of players on our list have been dropped while the team has been winning, so it's nothing new. I would be curious though, why Blicavs and seemingly only Blicavs cannot be dropped under any circumstances. Even though he's offering nothing to the team right now.

He's absolutely entitled to more chances. He is also required to produce a certain standard in the seniors - just like everyone else. And when he isn't doing that he develops further in the VFL. Just like everyone else.

This is what you dont understand.

Blitz DOES offer something very unique.

He is NOT like everyone/anyone else.

I think it's a bit harder than that. Just ask Tom Hawkins or Josh Walker.

What if it costs us games? And finals (again)?

I was describing what I think is going to happen, not what I think should happen.
I think I've made my ideas on selection policy pretty clear previously, as you have with yours.
We differ, but it's a matter of emphasis and degree rather than fundamentals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back