Tasmania AFL Say No To Tassie Team

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFL have said no to a Tassie team in the short to medium term as it would not be financially viable.

Tassie had a VFL side at one point but were forced to leave the VFL due to financial constraints.

I love Tassie but I also find it hard to see how they would fund their own footy team. At least whilst Hawthorn and North Melb play down in Launceston and Hobart, a Tassie team isn't a realistic proposition.

Perhaps Footy TAS can find a local team backer,but traditionally this can be fraught with danger.

If North Melbourne put their hands to relocate tomorrow their would be zero talk of financial constraints. Gilligan would in fact be doing cartwheels.

The constraint is that we are now stuck with an 18 team comp which is probably too many and Gilligan is constrained by Vlad's I'll fated expansion into areas that don't actually want them and will never be self sustaining.

Launceston Hawks or Hobart Kangaroos, it will be one of these in the future.

Hawthorn are not giving up potential 70k crowds to play in Tasmania! North won't either.

It's no less viable than having 10 teams in Victoria.

Population of Tasi is more than Geelong.

But how many would give up their current AFL club for the new one (without even factoring in the lack of buy-in you'd get from the north or south, depending on where you chose to base it)? I've asked a fair few Tasmanians that question...yet to find one that would switch allegiances.

The people that do want it would not provide the revenue that would be required for it to be viable. I'd like to see a Tasmanian team. But my financial support would probably be limited to going down to watch the Cats there once every five years or so (and that's probably more than others would do). So it's tough t***ies for me, I guess.

tasmania should stop sponsoring north and the hawks and force one of them to relocate

in the history of footy and the formation of the national league this has been the most disgraceful decision to include the giants & GC before acknowledging and rewarding your own heartland !!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But how many would give up their current AFL club for the new one (without even factoring in the lack of buy-in you'd get from the north or south, depending on where you chose to base it)? I've asked a fair few Tasmanians that question...yet to find one that would switch allegiances.

The people that do want it would not provide the revenue that would be required for it to be viable. I'd like to see a Tasmanian team. But my financial support would probably be limited to going down to watch the Cats there once every five years or so (and that's probably more than others would do). So it's tough t***ies for me, I guess.
Why do they have to "give up their current AFL club"?

Why can't people in Tasmania buy a membership to the Tasmanian club, watch them play live in Tasmania and STILL support their current AFL club? They could probably still see most of their current AFL club's games on TV, it's not like all AFL/VFL games are played at 2pm on Saturday any more. Plus they would get to see them play live locally occasionally as well.

You are arguing a rigid either/or position to support Tassie not having its own side, the strategy of which conflicts with your statement that you would like to see said side happen.

I doubt many people can afford two memberships. Especially families. Plus the merchandise etc.

I couldn't see myself rocking up in Hawks gear to a Tassie v Saints game if I lived there.

Last edited:
I doubt many people can afford two memberships. Especially families. Plus the merchandise etc.

I couldn't see myself rocking up in Hawks was to a Tassie v Saints game if I lived there.
If I still lived there, I wouldn't be rocking up to a Hawthorn v Saints game either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back