AFL set to introduce live bidding for father-son and academy picks

Remove this Banner Ad

The old what if pick 2 turns out to be Tambling so its unfair to pay 3 picks argument is ridiculous, its like me saying give Hawthorn pick 1 every year because it could be Jack Watts or he could do a knee so its no advantage.

I don't think Hawthorn would be particularly successful if every year you only had picks 1, 75 and 76.

I don't think you could build a team like that. I don't think it would be a very good team.

So you are saying not having access to our own facilities and not being able to properly recover like the Victorian teams is no big deal?

and playing at the MCG regularly which is where Grand Final is played is still an advantage that the Victorian clubs get that the non Victorian clubs do not get. A big advantage.

So you're saying that your club having 10 games of genuine home ground/town advantage IS a big advantage then.

Yes, we might have an easier time when in the GF, but you have an easier time getting there, and through the earlier finals (easy H&A means more likely to finish higher and thus host).

I don't think Hawthorn would be particularly successful if every year you only had picks 1, 75 and 76.

I don't think you could build a team like that. I don't think it would be a very good team.

Well, if it was their choice to have those picks, then that would be up to them wouldn't it?

Why do you keep ignoring the fact that it's your choice?

So you are saying not having access to our own facilities and not being able to properly recover like the Victorian teams is no big deal?

There are seven other clubs that apart from GWS are worse off than Sydney in how far they travel. What about West Coast and Fremantle. They fly further, AND they having the highest Cost of living in the Country, yet they get nothing. Why should NSW and QLD get all these advantages just because they are in non football states. It's not the rest of the leagues fault. Lets just cut those four clubs and put it down as a loss, and move on if it is that difficult and unfair.

But what is mind blowing, is Swans supporters still not happy, when they were looking like flag surety's a week before the GF. Buddy, Tippett and you have plenty of interstaters coming, playing a full career with you, and helping you win and making Grand Finals, but that doesn't matter.

A flight to Melbourne is One hour and 25 minutes in duration. Most players who live in the State they play, drive around 1/2 - 45 minutes to the ground. It is less than 1 hour difference. Flight on a plane is not difficult or tiring at this distance.

and playing at the MCG regularly which is where Grand Final is played is still an advantage that the Victorian clubs get that the non Victorian clubs do not get. A big advantage.

Maybe the AFL do need to play the Swans at the MCG more often. As others have said though, it equals out because the true advantage of a home ground that interstate sides sometimes don't play on for two - three years. Those few extra wins make up for it. An oval is an oval. Never really got the issue there. In Amateur football it matters, because there is mud bogs, hard as rock grounds, huge ground and small grounds. In the AFL, the issues pale in comparison.

It is the Swans choice but if the choice is not clear then what is the point of having an academy system at all?

I'm sure GWS may want to do the deal. Would you trade the picks to get the higher pick? If not, then don't. Just like Collingwood's choice not to spend the pick required on James Stewart, who is with the GWS isn't he.

That's correct. But I was responding to you and he replied as though I was responding to him.

At the end of the day, as I've posted elsewhere, it's not about Heeney or Mills but about developing a sustainable market in the Northern states. To have the likes of your President crapping on about unfair advantages all the while raking in the sponsorship dollars and memberships that come with blockbuster fixturing is simply vomit inducing. Collingwood and Richmond have over 100 years of fathers threatening to kick their sons out of home if they don't follow their club. The SA and WA sides have captive markets already addicted to the code. Sydney (in Sydney) have 30 years only about 18 of which reflects any real presence as a club in Sydney. The support is certainly more robust than it was but the Academies are about making the interest more organic. Talking about draft upgrades as unfair advantages in the context of what is at stake in the Northern states is just childish. And this proposal by the AFL is simply dumb.
Disagree 100%. Just because your trying to develop a market up there doesn't mean the club should have an unfair advantage on others. In particular, it's ludicrous to whinge about Collingwood and Richmond having a 100 years of father son picks, when you can get all the South Melbourne father sons.

Players are choosing Sydney as a place to live as they want to get out of the bigger football states, it's swings and roundabouts now. There is no real advantage or disadvantage Sydney faces to attract and retain talent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heeney
Dawson
Andrews
Steele
Finlayson
Davis
Hiscox
Austin
Howard
Wellar

That is 10 players drafted from NSW and QLD in 2014. I think you have to go back a long long way to find the last time 10 players were drafted from both states in the same year. The academies are, or should I say was, working.

Overstating their significance on the growth of the game in those states.

Yes, 2104 was a good year for them, but those good years will become more and more frequent and include higher quality players as the market expands in those states. The current changes don't remove the advantage from having access to the academies, they just reduce it to a more sensible level.

If we are nitpicking: Weller is hardly a good example of the academy system helping to expand the game. He was a Tasmanian who moved to QLD with his family and probably would have been drafted anyway.

Hahaha, you have to be joking.

Yes, shock horror, it is more of a task to travel as the driver than the passenger. Notice you didn't pick up on any other point, like WA seem to not whinge about travel when they come from 4 hours flight away. My point was that even 1 hour and 25 minutes more than the home team, is not a big deal.

In conclusion to all of this, I am sure that like me, I will be happy to pay more for our future father sons, to make sure that this worrying advantage that was being given to the non football states to make them successful only so their fans stay on board, and not jump off when the team has it's turn down low on the ladder.

If fans will only stick with the side if they are winning, and will bring the side to it's knees when they aren't, well bad luck. We have Vic sides with the same problem. We don't give them advantages to give them a boost to ensure consistency.

All advantages can be argued against with perfection.

*COLA is needed........Perth is the most expensive place to live, so why wouldn't they get COLA.
*Academies are needed......... Victorian sides lose players going back to SA, WA, NSW and QLD. It is not utmost importance that sides are filled with there own grown talent. Clubs agree when they pick a Vic over say a South Australian when they are a South Australian side, yet the Vic player is preferred for a number of other reasons.
*Father sons are put under the same system. No Victorian supporters are up in arms, saying it isn't fair. We have the chance of one F/S in say every 5 years. These Academies can effectively sort through more and more players, finding plenty of stars coming through the system.

SIMPLE, PAY WHAT THEY ARE WORTH. 25% discount is more than fair. Stop sooking.

Last edited:
Yes, shock horror, it is more of a task to travel as the driver than the passenger. .
Don't forget the home team players have to make their own breakfast, whereas the away team gets theirs made for them at the hotel. These things add up, you know.

Why would I be? It would mean you would have a minimum of 60% of your list that would be pick 75 or worse.

It would also mean we would have had Reiwoldt, Hodge, Goddard, Cooney, Murphy, Deledio, Gibbs, kreuzer, Scully, Swallow, Patton, Whitfield, Boyd as well as players taken late or rookied such as Bruest, Sucklong, Sewell, Stratton, Poppy, Langford, Guerra, Simpkin, Spanger, ceglar, litherland etc

I reckon they would go ok.

Look at it the other way round.

If you had pick 2 what would you want for it along with pick 18?

It would also mean we would have had Reiwoldt, Hodge, Goddard, Cooney, Murphy, Deledio, Gibbs, kreuzer, Scully, Swallow, Patton, Whitfield, Boyd as well as players taken late or rookied such as Bruest, Sucklong, Sewell, Stratton, Poppy, Langford, Guerra, Simpkin, Spanger, ceglar, litherland etc

And if you wanted to you could just wait a few years and trade some of those players for multiple picks in whatever round you wanted. Generally you'd be looking at multiple picks inside the first 20, but just imagine how many 2nd and 3rd round picks you could get for some of those players! :eek:

Don't forget the home team players have to make their own breakfast, whereas the away team gets theirs made for them at the hotel. These things add up, you know.

I think the AFL are too hard for sides like the Swans. Swans and Lions are always whinging as to how they get a raw deal, but you ignore the fact that West Coast and Fremantle fly further, have higher cost of living, yet none of the supporters or hierarchy of these two clubs want to acknowledge that. I am just hoping GWS and Suns don't catch on to all the whinging we get from these two clubs. Lions won 3 flags straight after the AFL came in at the 11th hour to stop a North/Fitzroy merger, to gift the Bears with the merger, and turn a blind eye to a bloke that played on performance enhancing drugs. Swans pay 1/4 of their salary cap to two players, and fit the other 40 into the other 3/4 of the cap, yet all the other players are happy with that. I don't trust them at all. Every other side has players like Haneberry threatening to leave for more money, but Swans don't get that. I have good reason to believe your sponsors are doing a great job keeping you players happy.

That last question has too much sense involved for the Swan fans, or the club itself. You can't do that, it will bamboozle them. After all we have been around forever to get our heads around these things, they are a new club. Such things can't be learned over night.

I think the AFL are too hard for sides like the Swans. Swans and Lions are always whinging as to how they get a raw deal, but you ignore the fact that West Coast and Fremantle fly further, have higher cost of living, yet none of the supporters or hierarchy of these two clubs want to acknowledge that. I am just hoping GWS and Suns don't catch on to all the whinging we get from these two clubs. Lions won 3 flags straight after the AFL came in at the 11th hour to stop a North/Fitzroy merger, to gift the Bears with the merger, and turn a blind eye to a bloke that played on performance enhancing drugs. Swans pay 1/4 of their salary cap to two players, and fit the other 40 into the other 3/4 of the cap, yet all the other players are happy with that. I don't trust them at all. Every other side has players like Haneberry threatening to leave for more money, but Swans don't get that. I have good reason to believe your sponsors are doing a great job keeping you players happy.

and exactly how many players have Brisbane lost in the past 10 years to the go home factor? You could create a pretty good team out of the players that Brisbane have lost for almost nothing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back