Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Ainsworth is structurally redundant.

He's a short medium forward. Short mediums exist but no side 'needs' them, it's always a question of quality. Jamie Elliott, for example, is just a good player as a short medium forward.

If we didn't have Langford and Perkins maybe Aimsworth fits but he'd just further ruin the forward balance.

Much more important for the side to have 2 x quick, hard running smalls landing tackles than it is to have 1 of those players plus Gresham and Ainsworth even if Ainsworth kicks more goals.

Not sure what I'm missing, but I don't get the Menzie love.
I generally don’t either, he’s a bit of an underdog though and he won a lot of respect by playing on with half his face caved in. Plays like he grew up on a gravel oval, and has the country working class work ethic a bit like Guelfi, Snelling and Durham.

The team has too many of the same small forwards. Average pace and not known for great forward pressure and tackles inside 50 .

I tend to believe pressure and tackling is more about culture/effort then some innate ability (although I will admit that there are some players who relish contact maybe even too much)

Would be great to get one or two of those players especially with elite pace (which is genetic) just don’t like the idea of aquiring talent to block a players progress

I tend to believe pressure and tackling is more about culture/effort then some innate ability (although I will admit that there are some players who relish contact maybe even too much)

Would be great to get one or two of those players especially with elite pace (which is genetic) just don’t like the idea of aquiring talent to block a players progress
Nothing beats speed to ramp up pressure. That is why Walla was so good in his prime .
You need variety. We have a sameness.

Nothing beats speed to ramp up pressure. That is why Walla was so good in his prime .
You need variety. We have a sameness.

For sure.

Fast physical players are defensive Gold.
Especially once they lay a few hits and the oppo starts hearing footsteps/ reacting to perceived pressure that may or may not be there.

Great if you can get them but if you can’t your B+ AFL speedster really should be fast enough

For sure.

Fast physical players are defensive Gold.
Especially once they lay a few hits and the oppo starts hearing footsteps/ reacting to perceived pressure that may or may not be there.

Great if you can get them but if you can’t your B+ AFL speedster really should be fast enough
Well not really. When you have your B grade player filling the spot or in our case C grade players then you are not seriously looking at consistent top 6 finishes. That is the issue. We have good players all through our list but there are too many gaps in leadership , contested footy ability across the whole side (including marking) and general blue collar team defense.
If we continue with the same mix we will not take the next step.

Depends on how the season goes but if Essendon miss the finals I wouldn’t be shocked to see 2MP traded for a mid-high first. (Or a former high pick that has real value) Even if Essendon have to pay some of his salary to upgrade the pick)

Have Draper/Bryan/Caddy as your 3 talls going forward. Then use the pick for a prospect either a tall FWD or Otherwise.

Although should be looking at project talls this year with Jones and Hunter not really looking good.

I can’t see Wright going anywhere - we don’t really have a backup for him. And just signed him to a long term deal.

I think Bryan is the one that probably leaves end of this year - which would probably be best for both us and him.

Well not really. When you have your B grade player filling the spot or in our case C grade players then you are not seriously looking at consistent top 6 finishes. That is the issue. We have good players all through our list but there are too many gaps in leadership , contested footy ability across the whole side (including marking) and general blue collar team defense.

I was more talking about having a pressure forward in the top 10-15% of fastest players in the league vs overall Elite talent vs Middling talent.

We’re mostly on the same page about needing elite talent. I’m just more optimistic/curious about what the current group looks like then you when it’s functioning at its best effort.

I also don’t like the idea of a rebuilding team kneecapping their rebuild by blocking the players coming through with B+ talent.

See my thoughts on Peter Wright

I can’t see Wright going anywhere - we don’t really have a backup for him. And just signed him to a long term deal.

I think Bryan is the one that probably leaves end of this year - which would probably be best for both us and him.

Wright isn’t a good ruck. If your on a 7 year timeline and you have Caddy deserving a forward tall spot then your other 2 talls need to be ruck capable

If Wright isn’t that and you can get a good FRP and a potential 15 year player who fills a need. This is the type of risk that a team in Essendon’s position has to consider taking.

I was more talking about having a pressure forward in the top 10-15% of fastest players in the league vs overall Elite talent vs Middling talent.

We’re mostly on the same page about needing elite talent. I’m just more optimistic/curious about what the current group looks like then you when it’s functioning at its best effort.

I also don’t like the idea of a rebuilding team kneecapping their rebuild by blocking the players coming through with B+ talent.

See my thoughts on Peter Wright

Wright isn’t a good ruck. If your on a 7 year timeline and you have Caddy deserving a forward tall spot then your other 2 talls need to be ruck capable

If Wright isn’t that and you can get a good FRP and a potential 15 year player who fills a need. This is the type of risk that a team in Essendon’s position has to consider taking.
That's some solid bullshit right there.

Do you know how many forward rucks have managed to average 10+ hitouts and kick 30+ goals since the turn of the century? Tippett and Luke Darcy. Wright was a couple of goals and a couple of hitouts away from that.

He's a good second ruck.

I am not sure how my view that we have several of the same style small forwards that are not quick ends up with kneecapping the rebuild B grade players blocking what is coming through. All I have ever said was the current mix of forwards playing right now is too slow and lacks consistent forward pressure. We need some speed or we will continue to rate 15th and worse for transition out of defense. That is why I said we need a Walla in his prime and a Dev Smith in his prime. How we get there is up in the air. Maybe it comes from a Davey. Maybe it comes from outside the club but we have to find that mix. Even the first quarter tonight is showing it is a weak spot despite us having a real crack so far. Swans have moved the footy easily out f defense a few times.

This is what ive been saying to you. Im all for upgrading our role players, but spending (even on salary) for barely upgrading then id prefer to continue with the kids.

More run needed. If we are planning on matching it with Sydney, GWS, st Kilda, Carlton etc moving forward we need to be able to cover the ground better. Feel like a broken record at this point.

More run needed. If we are planning on matching it with Sydney, GWS, st Kilda, Carlton etc moving forward we need to be able to cover the ground better. Feel like a broken record at this point.
The question then is who comes out of the side to make room for the runners?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Skills are pathetic across our list. Feel we're battlers at best bar a few

I am not sure how my view that we have several of the same style small forwards that are not quick ends up with kneecapping the rebuild B grade players blocking what is coming through. All I have ever said was the current mix of forwards playing right now is too slow and lacks consistent forward pressure. We need some speed or we will continue to rate 15th and worse for transition out of defense. That is why I said we need a Walla in his prime and a Dev Smith in his prime. How we get there is up in the air. Maybe it comes from a Davey. Maybe it comes from outside the club but we have to find that mix. Even the first quarter tonight is showing it is a weak spot despite us having a real crack so far. Swans have moved the footy easily out f defense a few times.
Targeted but we missed … Bobby Hill

That’s the leg speed still lacking.

This is what ive been saying to you. Im all for upgrading our role players, but spending (even on salary) for barely upgrading then id prefer to continue with the kids.
Well you have not been saying it very well and I disagree we are wasting salary on the likes of Gresham and Duursma. The kids we would have had to pick rather than them are a very low percentage to do anything but clog the list for 2 years. My view is we use the top 40 picks which have done last year. Take some free agents that can improve a list spot short or medium term even if they are B grade and try to land the big fish when you can. Continue with the kids is a myth . There is a large percentage who do not make it after pick 50 so why waste too much time picking there in a rebuild / reset ? You need to be exploring all avenues.

Gresham did pretty well for a barely upgrade. 3 goals. 23 disposals. A couple of tackles. 3 goal assists .Some good contested wins at ground level.

Duursma did not have a lot of the footy or meters gained but he was the one pushing back to cover Martin. Not sold on him yet but he has played a role.

Watching Bryan in the VFL yesterday he is still not ready. He struggled to match the physicality of Fort at times and has no real marking presence or forward craft so he has to play big chunks in the ruck. We need Goldy right now and may need him next year as well until Bryan takes the step up and Sam can stay on the field for a season.

Agree and I think they know the issue which is why they drafted Lual and Roberts and chased Duursma in the trade for BZT but obviously we need to keep building on it. Right now I think there is a bit of a confidence thing as well. We have not built enough success in our system to start taking off in waves when we win the footy.

Agree and I think they know the issue which is why they drafted Lual and Roberts and chased Duursma in the trade for BZT but obviously we need to keep building on it. Right now I think there is a bit of a confidence thing as well. We have not built enough success in our system to start taking off in waves when we win the footy.
We need to prioritise our top talent that can run all day. They’re the ones who get it 25+ a game these days and make fast decisions on the counter attack.
Loving what st kilda has done with Wanganeen, Henry, Wilson and even Bonner… Ross gets it

Last edited:
I dont think you can fix that in one preseason but it was a better effort over 4 qtrs than we're used to.

That will come. Also a lot easier to do for longer when you can get breathers after a mark in the forward half
If you are to believe what other clubs do in targeting powerful running athletes we've got a whole list to rebuild. This reincarnation looks off the pace in that regards

If you are to believe what other clubs do in targeting powerful running athletes we've got a whole list to rebuild. This reincarnation looks off the pace in that regards
I think over the next 3-4 years we will be in the position to draft players with elite skills and athletic attributes. Tsatas is probably an example - we have a stacked midfield currently but we've got another midfielder now who will probably push out an incumbent and make us a better side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back