2nds AFL Under 18 Academy vs Port Adelaide - Trial Match 3 @ Mt Barker

Remove this Banner Ad

Saturday April 15th. 4pm at the Adelaide Hills Summit Sports and Recreation Park.

Curtain-closer to the Brisbane/North Melbourne game.

Streamed on the AFL website/app

If anyone has anymore info, it would be great.

Pending the injury list: Burton could be back for the AFL side which means a player could get pushed down here.

Note: This game is on the same day as the AFL game so the sub (EG: Bonner) will not play. 2 extra emergencies were held back on the weekend, so perhaps they could play here as well. Possible that there is an extended squad due to it being a trial.

Maggies Changes:
IN: Clurey, Jones, Weidemann, Montgomery, Cheesman, H.Ferrari, Lee, W.Ferrari, McArthur
OUT: Bonner (AFL Emergency), K.Marshall (inj), Dumont (inj), Moore, Kirk, Turner, Szust

Maggies Side:
F: Visentini - Scully - Georgiades
HF: Barkla - Lord - Evans
C: Sinn - Francou - Hagan
HB: Jones - Teakle - Burgoyne
B: Pasini - Clurey - McCallum
R: Hayes - Cheesman - Jackson
INT FROM: Lee - Weidemann - Montgomery - H.Ferrari - W.Ferrari - McArthur
EMERG: Bonner - Mead

Last edited:
Saturday April 15th. Adelaide Hills Summit Sports and Recreation Park.

Not sure on time, but it's a curtain-closer to the Brisbane/North Melbourne game. So could be around 3:30pm

If anyone has anymore info, it would be great. No idea if it's streamed either.

This quote was at the bottom of this article.
"A trial game against an AFL Under 18 Academy outfit at Mt Barker awaits Goldsack’s side next week during the SANFL’s Gather Round bye before a trip to Unley to face an impressive Sturt on Sunday 23 April."

Pending the injury list: Fantasia and Burton could be back for the AFL side which means 2 players could get pushed down here. Will be too soon for Sutcliffe to return.

Note: This game is on the same day as the AFL game so the sub (EG: Bynre-Jones) will not play. 2 extra emergencies were held back on the weekend, so perhaps they could play here as well. Possible that there is an extended squad due to it being a trial.

Predicted Maggies Changes:
IN: Jones, Clurey, Mead, McEntee
OUT: -

Predicted Maggies Side:
F: Visentini - Scully - Georgiades
HF: McEntee - Lord - Evans
C: Bonner - Mead - Jackson
HB: Dumont - Teakle - Burgoyne
B: Pasini - Clurey - McCallum
R: Hayes - Jones - Sinn
INT FROM: K.Marshall - Barkla - Moore - Hagan - Szust - Francou - Kirk - Turner
Interesting, did not know this was happening. This could be quite competitive. Good opportunity for our kids to get an extra game in and hopefully find some confidence.

We're going to lose to Under 18s. Let that sink in.
Trying to find some history from past years of this thing. Apparently Collingwood VFL won by 22 points last year, and Geelong VFL won by 130 points in 2021.

Trying to find some history from past years of this thing. Apparently Collingwood VFL won by 22 points last year, and Geelong VFL won by 130 points in 2021.
I see what you are saying here:

2021 Geelong beat Academy team, 2022 Geelong win flag
2022 Collingwood beat academy team, 2023 ?? Collingwood one of the flag favourites
2023 Port beat academy team, 2024 ??

Being told on the draft board that the AFL Academy have had a game vs an AFL reserves side every year since 2016.

They've only won once, beating North Melbourne VFL by 43 points in 2018.

HOW TO WATCH: The match between the AFL Academy and Port Adelaide SANFL will be available to watch live and free on AFL.com.au and the AFL Live Official App.

Maggies Changes:
IN: Jones, Weidemann, Montgomery, Cheesman, H.Ferrari, Lee, W.Ferrari, McArthur
OUT: Bonner, Georgiades (AFL Emergencies), K.Marshall (inj), Dumont (inj), Moore, Kirk, Turner, Szust

Maggies Side: (3 to drop in)
F: Visentini - Scully - Weidemann
C: Francou - Jones - Montgomery
HB: Sinn - Lee - Burgoyne
B: Pasini - Teakle - McCallum
R: Hayes - Hagan - Jackson
INT FROM: Cheesman - H.Ferrari - W.Ferrari - McArthur
EMERG: Bonner - Georgiades - Clurey - Mead
Wonderful opportunity for both sides to be in the spotlight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Be interesting.. a close look at a few of the young guys coming up In the u18s
I watched an interview with Moir yesterday, he certainly doesn't lack confidence.
And not having a preferred kicking foot will be interesting to watch, I know nearly all players can kick both feet, but the way he says he has no preference at all is something I'm struggling with.

Good lead up to watching our AFL game too, hope this isn't spoilt by rain.
If we lose we can pretend we were Collingwood, Eddie can't tell the difference ;)

I watched an interview with Moir yesterday, he certainly doesn't lack confidence.
And not having a preferred kicking foot will be interesting to watch, I know nearly all players can kick both feet, but the way he says he has no preference at all is something I'm struggling with.

If we lose we can pretend we were Collingwood, Eddie can't tell the difference ;)
Don't watch the young kids very much these days... But always gets me excited seeing the young ones and wondering who will be the next star ect

Interesting to see how Lord, Sinn and Burgoyne play.

Jones, Hayes and Visintini should monster the kids and McCallum has an opportunity to shine also. Jackson to stand someone in his own weight division, and to be fair probably where he should be at the moment after the wrecked Hip.

Hopefully read in the Sunday Mail:
Port 18.7.115
U18’s 21.9.135
Goals
Port Scully 10, Lord 8
Best
Port Sinn, Lord, Jackson, Burgoyne

Moir did equal top score with running vertical jump with his Right foot at the SANFL preseason draft testing this year.
Didn’t feature in the top 10 with his left.
Think he might be right footed but very good on his left if it matters?

The first player I can recall saying anything like that was Brian Cunningham way back in the mid 1970's.
If he was having a set shot from the left side of the goal he would use his right foot, and from the right side he would use his left foot.
He was the first genuinely 2 sided player I had ever seen.

Maggies Changes:
IN: Jones, Weidemann, Montgomery, Cheesman, H.Ferrari, Lee, W.Ferrari, McArthur
OUT: Bonner, Georgiades (AFL Emergencies), K.Marshall (inj), Dumont (inj), Moore, Kirk, Turner, Szust

Maggies Side: (3 to drop in)
F: Visentini - Scully - Weidemann
C: Francou - Jones - Montgomery
HB: Sinn - Lee - Burgoyne
B: Pasini - Teakle - McCallum
R: Hayes - Hagan - Jackson
INT FROM: Cheesman - H.Ferrari - W.Ferrari - McArthur
EMERG: Bonner - Georgiades - Clurey - Mead
Dumont injured again?

Hopefully Bonner and Georgiades get some more game time and Mead is sub IMO.

It should be a relatively free flowing game and good for the confidence of some of our players. Can't imagine the U18s kids are an incredibly well drilled defensive outfit, but obviously there should be some exciting talent that's likely to be as good if not far better than some of our youngest and worst players.

Dumont's another bust, chronic old mans injuries, keeps jagging his calf , another delist at years end.
Kept him a year to long, as good as he was last year we should have moved him on and kept Mayes… I’m all for giving the SA talent a second chance but you need to cut when they aren’t up to it.

Kept him a year to long, as good as he was last year we should have moved him on and kept Mayes… I’m all for giving the SA talent a second chance but you need to cut when they aren’t up to it.
Mayes was easily our best in the 2,s and still offered something when needed. I think Dumont was contracted with this being his last year hence he survived.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back