2nds Glenelg vs Port Adelaide - Round 1 @ Glenelg

Remove this Banner Ad

He's in the 25-30 in the squad playing the role he would play in the afl game

Cluzza who has a whole 4 quarters in a new position isn't developing? Righto
(Not to mention the argument that Clurey is only there to allow the development of Marshall and Walsh,)
Do you think Clurey is a realistic chance of developing into a winger?

He's there because in pre season they decided you can't have 4 kpds on the same SANFL side. But with McKenzie sitting the game out it makes sense to have a senior head back there to help out Walsh and Marshall

What?
They can’t play in the midfield?
1They will get more of the ball
2 Find some form
3 Lead by example
4 Learn to play another position
5 They are fitter than amateur league players
etc etc
Sinn is a what 4 gamer? Let him go to the line meetings mid week that he actually would play in the afl side
1 he had equal most on ground for port
It also isn't FIFA where more touches = more development.
2 he is in form
3 he did that at halfback
4 he is trying to learn how to play 1 position to start at the moment he can't play any at afl level
5 this only matters if your first priority is winning not development

Do you think Clurey is a realistic chance of developing into a winger?

He's there because in pre season they decided you can't have 4 kpds on the same SANFL side. But with McKenzie sitting the game out it makes sense to have a senior head back there to help out Walsh and Marshall
How many injuries do we need before we see Clurey play the skinny sacrifical wing role at afl level?
Probably 2/3 to the right players. What's the point of training there all summer to ditch it after 1 poor game (when he wasn't alone too)

Thank you for repeating my 2nd point with your 2nd paragraph

He got back plenty on the wing and used his experience to direct in the middle
I've said earlier in this thread that our tall backs are a great example of why the sanfl sucks for their development but what we did today is still the best way to do it

How many injuries do we need before we see Clurey play the skinny sacrifical wing role at afl level?
Probably 2/3 to the right players. What's the point of training there all summer to ditch it after 1 poor game (when he wasn't alone too)

Thank you for repeating my 2nd point with your 2nd paragraph

He got back plenty on the wing and used his experience to direct in the middle
I've said earlier in this thread that our tall backs are a great example of why the sanfl sucks for their development but what we did today is still the best way to do it
The point is so we maybe have a semi competitive SANFL team. And ultimately that will benefit our younger players. Having bags kicked on Marshall and Walsh will not help their development.

He has no chance of playing AFL in a wing role this season. If he does we are ****ed.

Sinn is a what 4 gamer? Let him go to the line meetings mid week that he actually would play in the afl side
2 he is in form
4 he is trying to learn how to play 1 position to start at the moment he can't play any at afl level
And Narkle? He’s 26 years old are you going to tell me he’s learning his position

2 he is in form
Thanks for letting me know it’s not FIFA , you think more touches doesn’t give you more confidence clearly you have never played the game.

Thanks for letting me know it’s not FIFA , you think more touches doesn’t give you more confidence clearly you have never played the game.
Mate he (Sinn) had the most touches in his team whilst playing the role he will be playing at afl level
I don't think this is an argument tbh. You really think he will be substantially more confident if he had another 4 touches?

And Narkle? He’s 26 years old are you going to tell me he’s learning his position

He looked to play the high half forward role that gets shat on by this board
What the midfield lacked today was the mead/Jackson type see ball get ball

Narkle isnt that

Sinn is still getting match fitness , he still looks like the classiest one out there but he’s in a holding pattern until he gets match play miles into his legs and confidence in his body, like Georgiades except he’s never been at the fitness level .
if only we could recruit mature aged players not delisted from the AFL teams ,, with our top ups being borderline SANFL players heading the midfield and our AFL players mostly teenagers were no chance to be better than average.
It is what it is I guess now , we can only enjoy watching individual players develop now and that’s hard because they’re playing in a team playing scrappy football .
We’re only in the comp to help the SANFL so probably best to head to the VFL if that’s what it is where we’ll at least be under the same rules as the other teams , they might have to end up dumping Southport and the likes when all the AFL sides come in

Why is Narkle even on the list? He seems to have no position. If he is playing as a high half forward, why not play him when McEntee was out? He would find more of the ball than Evans wouldn't he? But if they think he can't do that, then he's wasting a list spot.

Why is Narkle even on the list? He seems to have no position. If he is playing as a high half forward, why not play him when McEntee was out? He would find more of the ball than Evans wouldn't he? But if they think he can't do that, then he's wasting a list spot.
Thing is, when he played AFL minutes he looked ok. I agree, his role in that SANFL team is not at all clear. Whatever he’s supposed to be doing, he’s also not doing well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think realistically Cluzza is just playing out the last year of his contract .

Sorry to break it to you but clurey is contracted for another year.

I suspect we will try to ship him off to another team for free next year or possibly even pay out his contract just to get him off the list with how tight list spots are but also if McKenzie retires , which is possible we might just keep him.

Narkle is a waste of a list spot. No clear position, not good enough.

He’s not even a high end sanfl player in his prime lol.

When we delist him not only will afl clubs pay no notice I doubt state leagues will be rushing for him. He will sign for whatever club pays him any interest, probably he one he played for as a junior lol.

Sinn is still getting match fitness , he still looks like the classiest one out there but he’s in a holding pattern until he gets match play miles into his legs and confidence in his body, like Georgiades except he’s never been at the fitness level .
if only we could recruit mature aged players not delisted from the AFL teams ,, with our top ups being borderline SANFL players heading the midfield and our AFL players mostly teenagers were no chance to be better than average.
It is what it is I guess now , we can only enjoy watching individual players develop now and that’s hard because they’re playing in a team playing scrappy football .
We’re only in the comp to help the SANFL so probably best to head to the VFL if that’s what it is where we’ll at least be under the same rules as the other teams , they might have to end up dumping Southport and the likes when all the AFL sides come in
That's a good point.

While most of us, me included would love Sinn and Georgiades based on potential to come into the team, both of them need to get their footy legs and fitness to a high standard and get real confidence into their bodies. It will bode well in the long run.

Personally, I would like to see Sinn play some midfield in the SANFL. I don't mind him playing off the half back or wing but just give him some time in the middle and see what happens, give him some confidence that he might be able to do that as well.

It pains me to read that our AFL listed boys are low in CBAs and we have SANFL journeyman in there. It's criminal.

Narkle is a waste of a list spot. No clear position, not good enough.

He’s not even a high end sanfl player in his prime lol.

When we delist him not only will afl clubs pay no notice I doubt state leagues will be rushing for him. He will sign for whatever club pays him any interest, probably he one he played for as a junior lol.

it’s very strange.

without the benefit of an AFL preseason, he not only earned a list spot at a contender, but put in a valuable shift in all three games he was called upon.

E2B1A12F-2C84-4A68-ADB8-3E280512E773.jpeg

now, having competed another full summer as an AFL player at the prime age of 26, he’s seemingly in the “hey, if there’s a nuclear winter we might need human geiger counters!” zone previously occupied by Nick Lower, Ben Newton and Jack Trengove?

what was the point?

He went into the midfield in the SANFL when he first came over and he changed the game, playing high half forward in that SANFL side would be a nightmare.

Cause it's a development team
What's the point of playing a guy in the midfield when he is competing at afl level in another spot?

I don't get why people don't get that.
Same with Narkle
You're not gonna develop at all though if you're getting smashed on the score board week in and out. You need a strong winning magpies to have a strong winning power side, because I'm telling you, the power cop afew injuries, kiss this season goodbye 👋

You're not gonna develop at all though if you're getting smashed on the score board week in and out. You need a strong winning magpies to have a strong winning power side, because I'm telling you, the power cop afew injuries, kiss this season goodbye 👋
Agreed, when the Maggies won their 6 flags in a row their magoos won 5, with a number of interchangeable players from that era playing in multiple flags in both comps.

During the Cahill era the ressies were usually strong as well, and from memory won at least 2 or 3 flags in the 1970's and 80's.

The kokmeister and kern pay little more than lip service to the demise of the Maggies, and neither for whatever reason appear smart enough to work out the old adage re a chain only being as strong as its weakest link!

Agreed, when the Maggies won their 6 flags in a row their magoos won 5, with a number of interchangeable players from that era playing in multiple flags in both comps.

During the Cahill era the ressies were usually strong as well, and from memory won at least 2 or 3 flags in the 1970's and 80's.

The kokmeister and kern pay little more than lip service to the demise of the Maggies, and neither for whatever reason appear smart enough to work out the old adage re a chain only being as strong as its weakest link!
During both Hocking and Cornes tenure shows this also. But that's probably why they were moved on.

I stand with a former player on the outer (I won't name drop him) who said the club and Hinkley weren't happy when Chad Cornes was coaching the magpies because he'd change game plans and move players around if things weren't working. That's just unbelievable, because what's funny now is those players are basically the Powers starting line up now and look how well they're doing! It's because they game up from a winning side with a winning mentality.

During both Hocking and Cornes tenure shows this also. But that's probably why they were moved on.

I stand with a former player on the outer (I won't name drop him) who said the club and Hinkley weren't happy when Chad Cornes was coaching the magpies because he'd change game plans and move players around if things weren't working. That's just unbelievable, because what's funny now is those players are basically the Powers starting line up now and look how well they're doing! It's because they game up from a winning side with a winning mentality.
Yet Chad is still there towing the line to keep his job and I understand that. That being said, he has zero integrity. I assume the ones who have integrity or have spoken out are quickly moved on.

Yet Chad is still there towing the line to keep his job and I understand that. That being said, he has zero integrity. I assume the ones who have integrity or have spoken out are quickly moved on.
I think Chad just loves the club that much. But I definitely know he wasn't happy, I remember at a presentation after a game he bagged the AFL players for costing a game and said if the rules allowed me to drop you to the magpies reserves side I would. And I know he got in trouble for that.

But I loved Chad a coach, loved watching him give the players a spray, now days its just "just keep doing what you're doing"

I think Chad just loves the club that much. But I definitely know he wasn't happy, I remember at a presentation after a game he bagged the AFL players for costing a game and said if the rules allowed me to drop you to the magpies reserves side I would. And I know he got in trouble for that.

But I loved Chad a coach, loved watching him give the players a spray, now days its just "just keep doing what you're doing"
We have no chance of being remotely competitive with a midfield of Sweet and topups and a young defense getting slaughtered. And to the person that was bagging Logan Evans relentlessly on this board, ease up turbo. The kid's 18 playing on seasoned sanfl forwards, premiers at that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back