AFL unveils Victorian (and eventually SA & WA) academies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Soccer is obviously massive all over the world. I'd imagine kids moving to Australia are naturally drawn to that sport. If this is AFL's attempt to incentivise clubs to attract that sort of talent to our game, then it is a really good thing.

Yep, the potential scope of this scheme ranges from "ingenious" to "catastrophic" depending on how well the AFL regulate it to keep it true to its stated intent.

Fox Footy's take:

Evans said the final talent concession details were likely to take a similar path to the academy bidding system used for northern clubs, where they can draft academy-based players using a 20 per cent discount.

“It is important we provide clubs with an incentive to develop a presence in these communities, and help attract talented indigenous and multicultural players who would not otherwise play AFL, or are under-represented,” Evans said.

Seems to just be for Indigenous and players from "non-English speaking families". Don't have too much of a problem with that. As long as the VFL don't push it to any extremes. I don't have a problem with Victorian clubs developing a few more Chol-type players and a few indigenous players - growing the game IMO. But like I said as long as they avoid any extremes/bending the rules.

Conveniently vague. I look forward to the uproar when the first argument starts about whether a certain "possible superstar" player is eligible for inclusion.

Watching the video of Mark Evans, states Asian and African backgrounds will qualify automatically (as they're traditionally under represented)

Other players from non English speaking backgrounds, the clubs will have to fill out an application. Made a point that the club will need to be working with the kids a far way prior to draft age.

It would be interesting how they are defining the eligibility for this, surely with Australia's hugely varied cultural background there will be many top talents that meet this definition?
That is my main concern... let's hope that it is clear cut to stop clubs from abusing the system somehow. I'm 100% for AFL wide academies but only in regions that aren't AFL dominant... I would also like to see implemented some kind of scholarships for underprivileged kids coming up through the system within the 13-16 year age groups especially. Looking at the past few years drafting it seems the wealthier private school prospects are given top access to facilities through school footy for example and are leaving the public school kids at a disadvantaged.

Watching the video of Mark Evans, states Asian and African backgrounds will qualify automatically (as they're traditionally under represented)
Ok, now this is starting to get a little weird. It is almost like they are saying "if you are black or have almond shaped eyes, then you are in".

What about Turkey or Russia - Europe or Asia? Why is South America outside the "automatic inclusion" scope?

I'd hope that if any of these "academy players" were accepted into a TAC Cup side then they would lose their eligibility? however don't think it works that way with GWS riverina boys so doubtful

AFL article said:
VICTORIAN clubs have been given seed funding to establish club-branded academies in allocated areas throughout Victoria and the Northern Territory .........

Will the Northern Academies get similar funding ??

(Or do we already ....???)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My father immigrated to Australia and my Lions-supporting mother was born and raised here. So I have grown up loving AFL. Now, if i were to live in one of these areas and to be a talented sportsman who could progress through the pathway on my own merits (e.g. Adam Saad, Mabior Chol, Rueben William) then one of these clubs could claim me and argue, convincingly, that I count as a multicultural recruit due to my ethnicity.

I see what the AFL is trying to do and I like the sentiment. But, in an increasingly multicultural country these academies will see a lot of talented players go through their ranks if they are not restricted to recruiting players outside of the existing structure.

Interesting inclusions there given Chol and Williams both came through an academy, i.e. not on their own merits given the argument you're making. :)

I'd hope that if any of these "academy players" were accepted into a TAC Cup side then they would lose their eligibility? however don't think it works that way with GWS riverina boys so doubtful

As you note, it doesn't work that way currently. I also think that'd be a bad idea - if you're bringing through talent in these academies you want them playing at the top level they can. If that's the TAC Cup, it's perfect. It's also why I think they aligned the zones with the TAC Cup zones to some extent, as it's easier for a one to one relationship to exist between a club's academy and that zone's TAC team. Overall excluding them would be like preventing Qld and NSW academy boys from taking part in the championship, as it doesn't make a heap of sense and is probably harming the kids as much as anything.

Conveniently vague. I look forward to the uproar when the first argument starts about whether a certain "possible superstar" player is eligible for inclusion.

Particularly as these will involve questions of race.

The first example that came to my mind was Cyril Rioli, a Tiwi Islander who spent most of his childhood in Darwin before moving to Melbourne to play footy for Scotch on a private scholarship.

Nobody wants to be the guy arguing that Cyril wasn't Indigenous enough to qualify for this program because he went to an elite school.

Particularly as these will involve questions of race.

The first example that came to my mind was Cyril Rioli, a Tiwi Islander who spent most of his childhood in Darwin before moving to Melbourne to play footy for Scotch on a private scholarship.

Nobody wants to be the guy arguing that Cyril wasn't Indigenous enough to qualify for this program because he went to an elite school.

Most likely case would be he'd be signed to the Essendon academy when he was 13 or so, and then still moved to Melbourne.

Plenty of kids have represented NT from a Melbourne private school, including some taken as zone selections. Same goes for Hopper who boarded in Bendigo and played TAC Cup despite being a member of the GWS academy.

The VFL strikes again, looks like Victorian clubs will getting academies and zones (which are also located in NT)...

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-02-03/victorian-clubs-handed-afl-funding-for-academies
The question for me is - will they be given the same bidding privileges in the draft? I'm ok if their academys promote talent identification and development without devaluing the advantage to the northern states.
Having said that, if we continue to use our top picks on the best talent from our academy does it really matter what they do?

I would Highly Doubt that as the Whole Idea of it is to get these Kids to Play AFL and the way they do it that they be linked to a Club and They can only play for that Teams Allocated TAC Cup Side

Remove this Banner Ad

Back