AFL unveils Victorian (and eventually SA & WA) academies.

Remove this Banner Ad

The question for me is - will they be given the same bidding privileges in the draft? I'm ok if their academys promote talent identification and development without devaluing the advantage to the northern states.
Having said that, if we continue to use our top picks on the best talent from our academy does it really matter what they do?

Not initially but the article indicates they will. It is worth noting these academies are for indigenous and multicultural talent, so they wont get access to the regular talent in these areas.

As it is up here, it is aimed at bringing more talent to the game and increasing talent pool. Seems over kill to meand just compromises the drafts even more. They could have easily done a scholarship type program for this talent, letting clubs find talent, sign them as an underage rookie so they spend time at the club and play in the feeder u18 club until draft age.

As it is up here, it is aimed at bringing more talent to the game and increasing talent pool. Seems over kill to meand just compromises the drafts even more. They could have easily done a scholarship type program for this talent, letting clubs find talent, sign them as an underage rookie so they spend time at the club and play in the feeder u18 club until draft age.

The scholarship model is a proven failure though. All it does is encourage clubs to sign a promising kid as a lottery ticket and see how he goes (cf: NSW scholarships). There's no incentive to invest in the area or build any kind of infrastructure to provide a general improvement because it's just individual cases.

Sounds like they are targeting kids that currently arent playing footy, or maybe also some indigenous talent that might be playing footy but not in any real competitive level or playing in any kind of league that has a pathway to u18s and the draft.

The idea will be to get these guys playing footy, perhaps even just through their local school system, having links to an u18 tac team and AFL club will be the incentive to switch codes or play the sport, much like it is for our guys up here. They would have access to better coaching and facilities to fast track them, and if good enough start playing in the u18 tac cup teams 16 + 17 leading into the draft. From there the club gets to draft them same as us with our academies.

I dont have a problem with this on paper, the club has found talent thatotherwise wouldnt be playing the game and deserves to keep them. But i do think at 13 or 14, whenever they are identified, they cant have played footy. Also think to be multicultural both parents would need to have immigrated here. Need to make the qualifications very black and white (by that i dont mean favouring the pies)

The scholarship model is a proven failure though. All it does is encourage clubs to sign a promising kid as a lottery ticket and see how he goes (cf: NSW scholarships). There's no incentive to invest in the area or build any kind of infrastructure to provide a general improvement because it's just individual cases.

Very true. I guess doing this gives clubs more incentive to build an area, rather than the loto ticket scenario like you said. Would also think gives clubs ability to look to increase membership and support through these areas too.

re. "Racial Segregation"
Evans was on SEN this morning. When asked if it was appropriate to be looking at the setup based on race, Evans turned it on its head to say that in a diverse multi-cultural country, the open setup had failed to bring diversity to the demographics of top level players. So dividing on racial grounds was going to bring diversity to those playing at the top level.

He specifically mentioned Richmond's excitement at being given the Shepparton area of Vic (even though they were not given an area within Metro Melbourne), because of a developing Sudanese community there. The suggestion was that the country's intake of migrants were now being pushed to country areas more than ever.

It's an interesting strategy. Segregate to create Diversity. It seems to me that the AFL want to specifically target athletic kids of diverse ethnic backgrounds, who may not be taking up the AFL game at an early age, but give them an opportunity which makes them a part of the game. As a strategy to get those of ethnic diversity "into" the sport it makes sense, but as soon as clubs become involved, to me this where things can be biased and/or pear shaped.

The old zone days in Victoria per example. Talented kids who lived on one side of the street went to one club, while those on the other side of the street went to another club. Find a decent kid outside your zone, offer his dad a job via a coterie group or board member, help him buy or rent a house in your zone, and bingo.

The Brown Dog's comment above certainly resonates with my thinking. It could be ingenious, or catastrophic.

Oh, and someone rang up rang up SEN and asked if Brisbane would be allocated the Fitzroy area, so we could pick up hipster kids and turn them into footy players!! As long as they're indigenous or ethnic hipsters I s'pose!

re. "Racial Segregation"
Evans was on SEN this morning. When asked if it was appropriate to be looking at the setup based on race, Evans turned it on its head to say that in a diverse multi-cultural country, the open setup had failed to bring diversity to the demographics of top level players. So dividing on racial grounds was going to bring diversity to those playing at the top level.

He specifically mentioned Richmond's excitement at being given the Shepparton area of Vic (even though they were not given an area within Metro Melbourne), because of a developing Sudanese community there. The suggestion was that the country's intake of migrants were now being pushed to country areas more than ever.

It's an interesting strategy. Segregate to create Diversity. It seems to me that the AFL want to specifically target athletic kids of diverse ethnic backgrounds, who may not be taking up the AFL game at an early age, but give them an opportunity which makes them a part of the game. As a strategy to get those of ethnic diversity "into" the sport it makes sense, but as soon as clubs become involved, to me this where things can be biased and/or pear shaped.

The old zone days in Victoria per example. Talented kids who lived on one side of the street went to one club, while those on the other side of the street went to another club. Find a decent kid outside your zone, offer his dad a job via a coterie group or board member, help him buy or rent a house in your zone, and bingo.

The Brown Dog's comment above certainly resonates with my thinking. It could be ingenious, or catastrophic.
agree, you would think done fairly this concept will be great for australian rules footballs viability into the very long term future (30/40/50 years) eg. greater player talent, spectator support, club memberships etc.

Oh, and someone rang up rang up SEN and asked if Brisbane would be allocated the Fitzroy area, so we could pick up hipster kids and turn them into footy players!! As long as they're indigenous or ethnic hipsters I s'pose!

I believe they all support the Fremantles, but only in an ironic way.

Sounds like the Pies might be taking the piss already, relocating a highly rated indigenous NT boy out of St Kilda's zone, into theirs.

They just can't help themselves can they. And they think everyone hates them out of "jealously". Nope... just contempt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

just had a look through the main board thread on this subject. TheBrownDog putting up a great argument for us in a very eloquent style as usual.:thumbsu:

And some Pies fans are like talking to a brick wall as usual.

Let me guess... they are all against having academies. Against the QLD teams trying to develop and bring in more young kids to play the game... until they get their own academy, and now suddenly they are fighting the good fight and increasing the depth pool of talent. Anyone who was against our academies, should be against the new ones as well. Exact same concept, getting people who aren't playing the game in a specific State, to play the game.

I like the premise of it. The initial idea behind the northern academies is to introduce kids who are not in prominent football states to promote and get a stronger grassroots foundation. If the same can be done for those that don't have the same opportunities in traditional football states than I'm all for it.

At least this should take some of the heat of our apparent "privilege" with Andrews, Allison and co.

Conveniently vague. I look forward to the uproar when the first argument starts about whether a certain "possible superstar" player is eligible for inclusion.

Still at least 3 - 5 years away, surely.

By the time they are under 14's / 16's the top end are already well into the AFL junior system; but it'll be interesting to see who nabs a gun prospect first.

Either way, we've basically got a massive head start on all these new academies so we must ensure we make the most of it :thumbsu:

Sounds like the Pies might be taking the piss already, relocating a highly rated indigenous NT boy out of St Kilda's zone, into theirs.

They just can't help themselves can they. And they think everyone hates them out of "jealously". Nope... just contempt.

Bingo. Well, that escalated quickly.

Methinks that the best hope of a fair system, doing what it was designed for, is self regulation. All the Victorian clubs keeping an eagle eye on each othe so that none gain any percieved advantage.

I've been getting this impression for a while but the richer this sport becomes, the more amateurish the decision makers become. You could drive a bus through 'multi-cultural'. I'm Scottish. Would my boys (Australian born) qualify as 'multi-cultural'? 'Multi-cultural' is a bogus term, anyway.

Any word on the WA / SA academies.

I hope the AFL are putting a lot of thought into the Fremantle / West Coast academies . Western Australian has a really great history of producing highly rated indigenous juniors, Yarran, Bennell, Martin, Pickett, Ah Chee and others in recent years.

It's easy to say they shouldn't be given access to players already in Elite development programs, like Petrevski-Seton next year. But will be hard to regulate with the next generation of juniors coming through.

I've been getting this impression for a while but the richer this sport becomes, the more amateurish the decision makers become. You could drive a bus through 'multi-cultural'. I'm Scottish. Would my boys (Australian born) qualify as 'multi-cultural'? 'Multi-cultural' is a bogus term, anyway.
I'm hearing ya! I can't see a way that eligibility can be clearly defined.

I'm from a German family, and my grand-kids are legally indigenous Australians. Would they qualify as
a. ethnic (German speaking at home), or
b. as indigenous?

They are not marginalised in any way.
I'm a fan of bringing more kids to the game - particularly from under-represented communities, and like the concept of the cultural based eligibility academies, but I am VARY sceptical of the control of eligibility.

I have no doubt the system will be abused but I think the self monitoring by the other Melbourne clubs will be far more effective than AFL house.

At the end of the day for us, securing AFL talent from qld is essential while there will be a small amount of players that get diverted into the new program the idea will have several positive effects:
1. Increase the talent - As a code we are losing the battle
2. Increase the chances of keeping our own academy in place
3. See the increased if trading of picks and players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back