Review AFLW SF - Adelaide v Sydney: Saturday 18 November @ Norwood Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Port didn't let her go, she didn't want to play for them.

Movement in AFLW is pretty much moving to whatever club you want, provided that club wants to sign you.
Really? But wasn't she picked last season for them?

Did she just say no I would rather sit out than play for you?

Sent from my SM-T220 using Tapatalk

Really? But wasn't she picked last season for them?

Did she just say no I would rather sit out than play for you?

Sent from my SM-T220 using Tapatalk
She played last year for them, but requested a trade to Adelaide at the end of the season. Some times losing every week and working hard for no reward saps people's energy and desire to play.

If you're a mid level player at Port and aren't getting marquee money you'd be asking about Adelaide list spots. A winning culture brings in good players. Particularly while the league is in its infancy trades are pretty much a couple of picks, where we only pick from SA juniors. It's better to bring in a known quantity.

Get more out that 2nd half and that 5 minutes of defensive pressure they handled late in the 3rd.

Hatchard great, never been a question on her when able to get time & space even with her disposal issues. Ponter’s had 24 tonight, the most of her career and the pure talent levels she’s now reaching are just ridiculous, even I’ll admit Thompson played a pretty good game too.

Game really set up early by Jess Allan and Zoe Prowse both standing up and saving blushes from some bits of messy/convoluted play early in the game.

1) Sarah Allan looked like she has regained per poise.

2) The week off against West Coast for Hatchy has allowed her to get set for a BIG final’s campaign.

3) Jessica Allan is starting to dominate and McKinnon was also handy.

4) Great to see Charlton bounce back.

5) A great game by Prowse.

Since Norwood doesn’t suit our style of play I think next week is a genuine 50/50 match.

2) The week off against West Coast for Hatchy has allowed her to get set for a BIG final’s campaign.

Since Norwood doesn’t suit our style of play I think next week is a genuine 50/50 match.
Playing at Ikon Park next week?

Reality check for Sydney and the AFL's fixturing team
To be fair to them their defence is pretty bloody good, had to admire how they fought to stifle momentum but they just couldn’t get their 2 superstars near it and if they had their star ruck Morphett in their team tonight the margin wouldn’t have been that extreme.

They’ve certainly come a ridiculously long way in 12 months.

Thought it looked like she was still really hesitating to kick the ball, quite a few times tonight she really didn’t want to use her leg and in that desperation made some real under pressure handballs, after such a big layoff she’s still not looking exactly like she has much confidence in it still after a month back.

Last edited:
Pretty much what was expected - Sydney stuck with us and made it a scrap for around a quarter, quarter-and-a-half, then fell away.

That level of defensive pressure was up to standard for the top sides, but we will need to convert more of those first-half opportunities next week if we want to play in another grand final.

Jess Allan has played two of the greatest ruck performances I've ever seen this year, including one tonight. Just fantastic. Hatchard with 36 and 2 goals is a fantastic match, not to mention 10 marks and 6 tackles. Ponter with 24 touches, 9 clearances and a goal. Marinoff with "only" 26 touches, but 14 tackles to go along with it. If they measured "second tackler in" stats she would probably have had 50. Thompson played her best match of the season. Charlton looking back to her best form, too.

Good to see Bonner and Waterhouse finally manage to hit the scoreboard again, and Randall's yips in front of goal can apparently be solved by just soccering the ball every time??

Now, back to the real stuff. We need to bring that ruthlessness up to North Melbourne next week.

A few interesting team stats from the match.

Inside 50s were 48-14 (!), that's a smashing in anyone's language.

293 disposals to 202, almost 50% more ball.

16 free kicks to 9 - we definitely got the rub of the green tonight, although Sydney's first goal came from a free kick that simply wasn't there.

53 hitouts to 16, just utter domination from Allan, and McKinnon was handy too.

13 contested marks to 1. Marks inside 50 were 12 to 3.

For tackles we were down 59-76, but for tackles inside 50 we had 18 to 5.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought Randall set the tone for manic pressure. If she brings a bit of composure with it from now on she'll be leading them to the promised land again. Go Crowies!

The only positive performance for Sydney was Tarrant. She was intercepting everything.

We won comfortably and so we should. I know Sydney have no ruck and Jess Allan made the most of it. Dominated in every way possible. What she needs to be aware of, is when there's a female boundary umpire doing the throw in, the ball always falls very short. Both players end up running forward to try to reach the ball before it hits the ground. No idea why they weren't more aware of this. Push off your opponent and sprint forward.

I think Marinoff was being tagged by Kennedy, but it didn't help them much. Hatchard was the dominant one anyway.
Ponter had her best midfield performance, but couldn't kick straight for goal. Her one goal was that accidental soccer when trying to pick up the ball. Charlton was good. Randall didn't take any big contested marks, but brought the pressure all game. Newman was also good and managed to snag a goal. I watched that old instagram post on the AFLW site with her and her sister taking shots at goal, where she kicked some goals from tight angles.

Waterhouse showed why she deserves a spot in the team. At one point she got hit by a teammate front on in the face. Got back up like a champ and made herself an option to receive the ball. She is quick. She knew when her opponent was close so she could dispose the ball and use her speed to run on to it. She didn't give away any nonsense free kicks or 50m penalties. She kicked that unbelievable goal from the tight angle on her non-preferred foot. Then she stayed composed to go back and take that kick after the siren.

The backline didn't have a whole lot to do, but Prowse and Allan stood up well.
Mueller, Munyard and Goodwin were quieter.

The only positive performance for Sydney was Tarrant. She was intercepting everything.

We won comfortably and so we should. I know Sydney have no ruck and Jess Allan made the most of it. Dominated in every way possible. What she needs to be aware of, is when there's a female boundary umpire doing the throw in, the ball always falls very short. Both players end up running forward to try to reach the ball before it hits the ground. No idea why they weren't more aware of this. Push off your opponent and sprint forward.

I think Marinoff was being tagged by Kennedy, but it didn't help them much. Hatchard was the dominant one anyway.
Ponter had her best midfield performance, but couldn't kick straight for goal. Her one goal was that accidental soccer when trying to pick up the ball. Charlton was good. Randall didn't take any big contested marks, but brought the pressure all game. Newman was also good and managed to snag a goal. I watched that old instagram post on the AFLW site with her and her sister taking shots at goal, where she kicked some goals from tight angles.

Waterhouse showed why she deserves a spot in the team. At one point she got hit by a teammate front on in the face. Got back up like a champ and made herself an option to receive the ball. She is quick. She knew when her opponent was close so she could dispose the ball and use her speed to run on to it. She didn't give away any nonsense free kicks or 50m penalties. She kicked that unbelievable goal from the tight angle on her non-preferred foot. Then she stayed composed to go back and take that kick after the siren.

The backline didn't have a whole lot to do, but Prowse and Allan stood up well.
Mueller, Munyard and Goodwin were quieter.
Yes, Waterhouse was excellent. I don't care how many possessions she had, the point was that she made them all count with no errors.

I don't think we can take too much from that match, considering the opposition.

Yes, Waterhouse was excellent. I don't care how many possessions she had, the point was that she made them all count with no errors.

I don't think we can take too much from that match, considering the opposition.
Was match practice only. Considering 5 of Sydney's 6 wins this year were against the bottom 6 sides with the other win coming against Collingwood, they didn't deserve to be in the finals, but someone has to make up the numbers.

Sunday afternoon slot for the prelim at IKON, the AFL again going for a Sunday afternoon Grand Final as well, which I’m still not the biggest fan of, it just is never made into the spectacle it should be and will never garner the national audience reach when it’s shoved on at Sunday afternoon at 2.00 PM.

Also quite amazed as it looks like no game this season will be played at Marvel Stadium at all even through the AFL owns it, maybe they could have got a bigger attendance there than what they will get at IKON next week.

Sunday afternoon slot for the prelim at IKON, the AFL again going for a Sunday afternoon Grand Final as well, which I’m still not the biggest fan of, it just is never made into the spectacle it should be and will never garner the national audience reach when it’s shoved on at Sunday afternoon at 2.00 PM.

Also quite amazed as it looks like no game this season will be played at Marvel Stadium at all even through the AFL owns it, maybe they could have got a bigger attendance there than what they will get at IKON next week.
Hopefully it can get a decent crowd. Selfishly, I'm kind of glad because I work most Saturdays and was hoping I wouldn't have to swap shifts to watch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back